Author Topic: Pole Position and how to get better  (Read 65013 times)

Offline bestcellar

• Awards
Re: Pole Position and how to get better
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2018, 11:41:08 am »
John - Thanks for the feedback, sir! I agree that I need to avoid that puddle and fight to the inside more. I watch the vid and I am aggravated that I was 3 tenths of a "second" from 66k...On that last puddle, I was worried about getting realigned properly in the middle for that last stretch in traffic...I've had a lot of situations cutting out and back that I've crashed and I just knew I needed to finish...
Member for 9 Years

Offline Verminator

• Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 09:23:03 pm »
By just reading this thread, I was able to up my high score from 62,400 to 63,810 (should have been higher because I ran off track on the last turn). Thanks guys!
Berzerk (Fast Bullets/No Patterns) = 58,780
Berzerk (Slow Bullets/No Patterns) = 195,000
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline Verminator

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2018, 11:23:45 pm »
The Namco version boardset has different car patterns and I believe is an easier version of the game. The cars migrate towards the center of the road and allow you to pass them on the inside or outside and if your in a corner going on the inside will net you a faster time.

That was definitely the case with the MAME run that bestcellar posted... I'll need to look at Richie's run again to confirm that is the case.
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline Verminator

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2018, 11:40:43 pm »
Hmmm... not sure about Richie's run.
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

creech

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2018, 05:33:49 am »
Great thread, very informative. I've been planning to get a spinner and finally did with mini wheel, as this is one of the games I wanted to play on MAME. It's been very enjoyable thus far, finally made it to the 2nd checkpoint with a pb of 42,100 last night. Definitely have to fight for the inside, sometimes it's hard to take the risk in a challenging situation, risking a crash. I don't boast much experience on this game but it's been fun playing and learning and if I have any information to add I certainly will.

Offline johnmcallister

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2018, 09:32:42 pm »
New PB qualifying lap   55.16

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:48:15 am by johnmcallister »
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener

Offline Verminator

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2018, 09:37:16 pm »
It looks like it was 55.16.  8)
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2018, 03:34:24 am »
John thats an amazing qualifying lap!

I have gotten a bit better and now have 6 complete races - unfortunately all with crashes in them so no giant score yet.

Did a lot of savestate-testing on what crossing the finishing line do to the car pattern in the upcoming race while using starting pattern B (the one started from the attract screen). So far I have come to the belief that the finishing line only “carry over” two kinds of patterns. A left one and a right one (the exact spot for the right one to be trickered seem to be when plenty more than half of your car is on the right lane). The qualifying time seem to have an effect too. Not in what pattern you will get in the race but in how far the the other cars have traversed in that pattern before you start (like if you wait a few seconds before starting your qualifying lap). That make it seem like there is plenty more patterns than there is. There are probably other randomizers (for the White cars?) than the finishing line though. However I did test whether gear, gas pedel or brake had an effect while crossing the finishing line and came to the conclusion they did not (besides the already mentioned timing of the pattern).

I hope the above make sense. Can any of you prove me right or wrong it will be great help in uncovering more secrets.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:35:19 am by mrvaya »
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2018, 11:08:24 am »
Coming out of the first turn in the game if you touch both sides of the road or yellow strip the cars for the remainder of that lap will be spread out and closer to the edges of the road. So the first corner is to the right, make sure you are touching the yellow strip at some point before it ends and then cross the road in the straight away and touch the left hand side and then your set.

Can you show a demo of this since I can not activate any difference - at least not on the B-pattern?
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline johnmcallister

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2018, 11:20:13 pm »
Pattern B or the demo setup doesn't allow for manipulation like A or map setup.  I tried lot's of times and couldn't do much that I noticed.

Offline johnmcallister

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 11:30:58 pm »
Some new faster qualifying times.

creech

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2018, 03:04:23 am »
Great times John! Achieved a pb tonight of 60,140, haven't really gotten in depth with strats, just trying to get acclimated and finish my 1st race which I almost accomplished on that pb run. More practice is in order.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2018, 01:18:24 pm »
Whats that 67010 on your machine John? :)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline johnmcallister

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2018, 04:36:50 pm »
Don't worry about that  look at this.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2018, 04:43:52 pm »
Whats the significance of a fast qualifying time?
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer