Author Topic: My take on all this drama  (Read 17494 times)

Offline RichieKnucklez

• Awards
My take on all this drama
« on: February 07, 2018, 01:25:24 pm »
I work my ass off to make the Kong Off a fun event. Most importantly a place where friends come together to celebrate a game we all love so much. I made the decision to invite many players to Kong Off 1 in my arcade way back when because it is so much more than the drama the King Of Kong created. It is a double edged sword. It also brought many people into our hobby but along came the hate. I am not going to drag this on, I just want to say last night's appearance on Dave's show was a mistake. Not the place to discuss what we have here. I am just here to say everyone that wants to come to the Kong Off 6 and have FUN, please come and join the fun. I am working on breaking our current record of 22 machines, so there will be plenty of wild card machines for everyone. If you want your player profile and picture added to www.thekongoff.com please email me at richie@richieknucklez.games.

Lets try and get passed this. I know a lot of you have your opinions of Billy. I have known him for almost a decade and he is not a liar nor a cheater. I admit there are a lot of people technically smarter than me out there but until the proof is indisputable, I stand behind my friend. Hate me for it or not, it is who I am. Loyalty means a lot to me. Ask Hank Chien.

If anyone wants to contact me you can text me at 908.797.7901 or email richie@richieknucklez.games. Please help Jeff, Dan, and myself make this another fun Kong Off. I was on such a high after returning from Australia it saddens me to come home to this.

Hope to see you guys in March at Banning

~Richie K

P.S. Tim Sczerby if you read this, I hope we are still friends. I really enjoyed having you out to my arcade way back when. I would love to have you participate and get your day in the sun. I promise I will do my best to help spread the word about how hard you were PSP'd
let me know what it will take to get you out to a Kong Off. I am broke as a joke but maybe we can figure out a way. I am sure I am not alone in this opinion

Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger

Offline RichieKnucklez

• Awards
response to Duane's soft ball explanation
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 01:44:45 pm »
For those who are not linked to me on Facebook, here is my response to Duane calling me "unstable". Not as funny as PSP's answer to me calling him out to fist fight like men, (185lbs of cocaine wants to fight me?) that was clever but still cowardice.
 We actually had dinner with that group at least 3 times and the topic of conversation was always bagging on Billy and Walter. Despite never actually meeting Billy and Walter, Paige said to me, Lets find a new group to hang out with. The Funspot clique is a bunch of whiny bitches.
Paige is a tough b.
here is my FB post response to his explanation;
In response to Duane Richard's softball explanation; I have pictures of Duane at my arcade during the first CAGDC event. He came smelling like a horse who rolled around in his own shit for weeks. Mark Alpiger insisted he not be let in the doors. I said it was my decision who is allowed in and who is not and over ruled Mark's ban. I told Duane straight up, go anywhere you can, take a fucking shower, and if you don't smell like a dirty diaper I'll let him in. Obviously he must be the unstable one, being the only person Mark banned from his event. He came back and was a total gentleman, in fact I like hanging around with him. He was quite a character. Over the next few weeks he called me a few times just to bullshit. We were starting to become friends. I remember it well, I was in the parking lot of a wal mart when he called and asked me to participate in a Mame Donkey Kong ruse. In his exact words, to put egg on Twin Galaxies face. I told him I was not interested. Other people around this exact time frame will be coming forward with similar stories. people i do not know and do not know me. This is such a sad sad grab at trying to stay relevant in a scene that has passed you by. simply that.

WCopeland

Re: My take on all this drama
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:49:08 pm »
No one here hates you, and the Kong Offs have been extremely beneficial to the community.

To make sure I'm completely following, are you saying that Dwayne manipulated this footage?

Offline RichieKnucklez

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 01:56:47 pm »
I am just saying I don't trust anything from Duane. I've already located the original copy Walter gave to the then senior referee.
It is in the mail on it's way to me. that will remove Duane from the equation.

Offline RichieKnucklez

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 02:02:41 pm »
All this "the way Mame draws is different than original hardware" is also being thoroughly investigated. I have in my opinion one of the best board repair guys on the planet looking into how different brand processors behave differently, etc.. stay tuned.
Disclaimer; I'm not saying the evidence is bogus, I'm just making sure we know beyond a shadow of doubt that MAME ONLY can produce these frame draws. Imagine if it is proven that with the right mix of different brand components original hardware can produce what Billy's tape holds. That will be earth shattering.

WCopeland

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 02:08:07 pm »
Ok. We should definitely be receptive to that kind of investigation. All evidence into this matter should be welcome so we know as a community that the right choice has been made.

Before you posted here I told myself I was going to be completely silent for the remainder of this drama as it played out, but there is something that should be said. This issue is very polarizing, and people are taking one side or another on the issue. What was said about Jeremy on last night's show was very distressing. What has been said about Steven Kleisath by some people in the "remove the score" camp is also very distressing. As leaders in the community we need to take a stand against that kind of talk.

No one should ever be called a loser or a "snake" for doing what they believe is the right thing. In the end, we are all just trying to solve this puzzle and move beyond the issue. We need to stamp that kind of negative chatter out, let this process play out with whatever evidence might be out there, and then move on as quickly as possible from this issue as a community.

Offline RichieKnucklez

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 02:13:23 pm »
One last thing, We all have been doubtful of Billy's ability to get over 1 million hence his performances at Kong Off don't really help his argument. In his defense, he MC's and really does not play to win.
Guys I consider friends, Like Robbie and Ethan and Vince have even probably heard me on occasion vocalize my doubt. It went so far as to me asking Walter Day for his advice addressing the subject. Walter said, "Richie, you are just as close friends with Bill as any of us. just ask him) So I did. To my face he swore he did not cheat. I really don't think he would ask me to stick my neck out and defend him if there was any chance of him being exposed as a fraud. He knows I'm going through some rough times and the timing could not be worse. Friends do not do that to one another. Call me stupid, call me naive, but I sincerely believe he is telling the truth. Ok I have to get back to salvaging this crazy life of mine.

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 05:21:20 pm »
By all accounts I’ve heard that Billy is a great guy (aside from KoK). Show me a board that renders just like MAME and I’ll at least have doubt, but for now inp manipulation is the best explanation for how someone could get that lucky on blue smashes over a full game, and how someone could avoid death that long with that play style.

And that has nothing to do with who Billy is, as I’ve never even met him. The game just made no sense, and this is more of a “oh that makes sense now” than some new tidbit that casts doubt.
Member for 7 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline 1500points

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 06:00:52 pm »
As leaders in the community we need to take a stand against that kind of talk.

Hi Wes, I don't comment or participate around here but it was worth replying to this.
Very good for you to say this.  For those of you who believe in high score chasing someone needs to be leaders.  It is clear that there is a complete vacuum of moral leadership in the niche genre right now.

This is a very tumultuous time for those that hover around the Twin Galaxies world, and it is clear that viral attention is intoxicating for people who didn't even realize they'd be tempted.  At the end of the day it is evident that "internet trending" easily becomes more powerful than having fun playing games.

I keep saying....When the games or a score become more important than the connections of people the Robotrons have already won, 66 years early.

Carry on and keep on leading.  It's quite the crazy train.

---------
Oh and since this is a polarizing topic and RK is paying attention, I'll say something important but might be uncomfortable to hear:
Speaking as someone who has been around the TG crazy train since 1982 and knowing Walter/Billy/and all the other people of that era. 
I like Walter and Billy as normal people, but they know first hand what I think about them as "video game" personas.
After 36 years I have run my course with the TG/high score world and no longer have a vote of confidence in any of the TG past.

WHICH also means I will tell you with confidence that-
--No one who was a teen or older in 1982 is qualified to be "leaders" in this new era of gaming.
--That includes Billy, Walter, RK, Jace, etc.
--The leadership will come from inspired and bright young people like Wes and others like Desidious/Brandon F. etc etc etc.
--Keep that in mind and never let one of the old timers buffalo you that they are in charge.  They might have business or marketing or entertainment plans but that's all. 
It isn't the true leadership needed for where you guys are heading in the new world.
Be brave, young men it's an unexplored world out there.  1982 is old history, make new history make it honorable history, and don't look back.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:21:12 pm by 1500points »
Member for 9 Years

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 07:11:32 pm »
Hey Richie, I wanted to talk to you about this subject, and looks like this topic is a good moment to talk about it.

A lot of us have been suspicious of Billy's highscore, even before Kong Off 1. And the Kong Off 1 pretty much proved that our doubts were most likely true.

I don't see how someone that can get 1.062m on a 1.12m pace can now struggle so damn hard just to barely be able to get one kill screen out of 5 Kong Off. Any 1.1m+ player would NEVER struggle to get just a simple kill screen running board. We can all pretty much get 1m+ scores at each Kong Off, and most of us, like Billy, never play between Kong Offs. And if I were just running board instead of point pressing, like Billy, I could literally sh*t kill screens all over the place, since it's so damn easy for a real 1.1m+ player to kill screen that game.

That being said, I'm not saying that to be mean against Billy. You know I like you Richie, and you know I like Billy. I'm probably the Donkey Kong player that like Billy the most. He's a great person in real life, and without what he did for Donkey Kong, without King of Kong, my life would be sad as fk lol.

But I can see that you aren't thinking rationally about Billy Mitchell, Richie. But I can definitely understand why. It's normal for someone to want to believe his close friend. Billy is known as the "video game player of the century", and he definitely doesn't want to go down in history as being a dirty cheater. He will probably want to do everything he can to make sure he can preserve that title. And if I were in his situation, I would probably act the same way. His lies have gotten so big over the years that he probably sees no way out of it. And since you're one of his closest friend, he most definitely doesn't want to hurt you, so that might be why he keeps on lying to you. He doesn't want to lose the friendship he has with you by admitting he cheated.

That being said, you can keep on having faith about Billy (because at this point, it's only about faith, not facts), but just make sure to expect the expected outcome. And you probably know what the expected outcome is going to be.

Finally, you know I love you Richie #nohomo, and no matter what happens, I hope you and Billy can find peace in this situation!
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 06:44:37 am »
Good to see some people still trying to avoid name calling and drama.  It's a messy situation, and I think most of us want to hear what valued community members like Richie have to say.  Here's hoping we get some clear resolution one way or another so we can get back to playing games, having fun, and hanging out.
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 07:28:15 am »
I understand both sides and 100% agree name calling and all of that is completely uncalled for. Even Todd mentioned his family was getting hate mail and threats and WOW that was really uncalled for. I like Billy he has always an awesome guy at every event I've been to and he has been there for all the fans as well. I'm fully supporting for making sure we have ALL the information available and rule out anything no matter how unlikely it may seem. I'm also very stoked for KO6 and do in fact hope everyone is still coming out to Arcade Expo 4 and The Kong Off 6. Its going to be really awesome and streaming of all types of stuff going on.

I even have an idea that I want to run past Richie and JC to do 1 on 1 interviews with all the players as well (If they will agree to them) so everyone gets a chance to be in the "spotlight" and get there little story told even if its just a few minutes of talk.

Anyway I completely get where Richie is coming from so lets all look forward to KO6 and the chips regarding everything else will fall where they may!

Thanks everyone!  Kreygasm
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:14:11 am by danman123456 »
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline maxxcat2018

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 08:08:09 am »
I understand both sides and 100% agree name calling and all of that is completely uncalled for. Even Todd mentioned his family was getting hate mail and threats and WOW that was really uncalled for. I like Billy he has always an awesome guy at every event I've been to and he has been there. I'm fullu supporting for making sure we have ALL the information available and rule out anything no matter how unlikely it may seem. I'm also very stoked for KO6 and do in fact hope everyone is still coming out to Arcade Expo 4 and The Kong Off 6. Its going to be really awesome and streaming of all types of stuff going on.

I even have an idea that I want to run past Richie and JC to do 1 on 1 interviews with all the players as well (If they will agree to them) so everyone gets a chance to be in the "spotlight" and get there little story told even if its just a few minutes of talk.

Anyway I completely get where Richie is coming from so lets all look forward to KO6 and the chips regarding everything else will fall where they may!

Thanks everyone!  Kreygasm

Even though I want to find out for sure what scores were mamed, death threats for cheating video game scores is completely insane and unnecessary.
Member for 6 Years

Offline RichieKnucklez

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 02:50:36 pm »
As leaders in the community we need to take a stand against that kind of talk.

Hi Wes, I don't comment or participate around here but it was worth replying to this.
Very good for you to say this.  For those of you who believe in high score chasing someone needs to be leaders.  It is clear that there is a complete vacuum of moral leadership in the niche genre right now.

This is a very tumultuous time for those that hover around the Twin Galaxies world, and it is clear that viral attention is intoxicating for people who didn't even realize they'd be tempted.  At the end of the day it is evident that "internet trending" easily becomes more powerful than having fun playing games.

I keep saying....When the games or a score become more important than the connections of people the Robotrons have already won, 66 years early.

Carry on and keep on leading.  It's quite the crazy train.

---------
Oh and since this is a polarizing topic and RK is paying attention, I'll say something important but might be uncomfortable to hear:
Speaking as someone who has been around the TG crazy train since 1982 and knowing Walter/Billy/and all the other people of that era. 
I like Walter and Billy as normal people, but they know first hand what I think about them as "video game" personas.
After 36 years I have run my course with the TG/high score world and no longer have a vote of confidence in any of the TG past.

WHICH also means I will tell you with confidence that-
--No one who was a teen or older in 1982 is qualified to be "leaders" in this new era of gaming.
--That includes Billy, Walter, RK, Jace, etc.
--The leadership will come from inspired and bright young people like Wes and others like Desidious/Brandon F. etc etc etc.
--Keep that in mind and never let one of the old timers buffalo you that they are in charge.  They might have business or marketing or entertainment plans but that's all. 
It isn't the true leadership needed for where you guys are heading in the new world.
Be brave, young men it's an unexplored world out there.  1982 is old history, make new history make it honorable history, and don't look back.

https://www.facebook.com/richie.knucklez/videos/10157190270723378/

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 03:47:16 pm »
This is all extremely frustrating, how a lot of this has transpired. It has literally made me, not only, very disillusioned with regards to logic, impartiality, and the paramount importance of integrity in the community, but also overall has made me very sick to my stomach.

First of all, for all of the people who are taking the "I trust Billy" approach, just know that trust nor confidence in a person cannot and will not be leveraged against the mountain of evidence on the table. If you trust Billy, fine, but just know you are being irrational and denying all logic and reasoning to the best explanation. Most of you need to be acquainted with what is known as "Ad Hoc" justification. All of the explanations in defense of Billy have fallen into one of two camps:

1) Pure blind faith and irrationality ie. I trust billy therefore its likely he didn't cheat, even in the face of the mountain of evidence.

OR

2) The explanations are purely ad hoc, meaning they are just attempts to conform around the evidence already given. Had these justifications preceded these allegations then I would not be charging them with being ad hoc. But the whole Duane Richards excuse WAS NEVER EVEN HEARD OF PRIOR TO THESE ALLEGATIONS. You mean to tell me, you guys have known for years Duane Richards tampered with some tapes or minimally had access to them, never thought to tell anyone, and just completely accepted the tapes as Gospel until the were disputed? Don't insult my intelligence. In addition, are you guys saying that the tape playing at funspot, that was personally handed to delores, was tampered with by Duane too?

Now, lets talk a minute about abductive reasoning. This is simply reasoning to the best explanation as to the origin or explanation of some data or observance. You guys need to realize, no matter how freakin' trustworthy you allege that Billy is, and even considering this totally bogus, ad hoc explanation about Duane Richards, that even with all of this considered, Billy still have a very strong presumption of evidence against him. Up until the point that some legitimate, non-anecdotal evidence arises such as these tapes, or some rigorous analysis as to how an Arcade could even possibly render in this way (as of now, there is not a single shred of evidence such a thing is even possible. Pure conjecture and speculation at this point) then Billy is going to be RIGHTLY assumed to be guilty of cheating.

Now, lets take a look at some of the evidence that increases the chance of all Duane nonsense, being just that, NONSENSE.

1) The tapes in question, Billy was standing behind when he presented both the new records on the television monitors. These are confirmed to be mame games, and allegedly are the same tapes with Duane's taint on them, yet they were presented with no scrutiny or apology, or even mentioned to the community at large with regards to Duane, until after the allegations.

2) There is a very obvious fake board swap video being performed where a DKjr PCB is being presented as a DK PCB, during the actual record breaking weekend and the same venue. Then to top it all off, it seems as though its very likely, the board was taken off screen momentarily, and the exact same board was put back in.

3) From high level analysis of the DK score, the playstyle is not commensurate with that level of a score. The sheer fact he managed not to die much earlier, while implementing this playstyle over 117 screens, is marginal evidence that it was likely done as a non-contiguous run.

Given, the fact Billy was standing behind these tapes, allegedly knowing full well Duane had his hands of them, that they are confirmed mame, that we have evidence of motive to deceive with regards to the boardswap, and the playstyle itself makes it unlikely, but not impossible for him to have reached that score and level with that particular play style.

Given all of these facts,  my verdict is that it is very probable Billy really did cheat, and until legitimate contravening evidence is put on the table, this analysis should stand to all unbiased, rational people.

Lastly, Richie seemed to be offering as evidence that Billy was likely to tell him the truth, because if Billy did cheat, Richie would not speak about and apparently help cover it up, given the nature of their friendship. I take this as an interpretation of the whole, "I'd help him bury the body comment". If this is in fact the correct interpretation of what Richie was getting at then his admission that Billy didn't cheat because he told Richie straight up, is self refuted by Richies own admission above.

Now, if this was not the correct, interpretation, and the whole "bury the body" comment was merely an expression to express a supreme level of confidence in Billy and nothing more then I retract the above analysis as to what Richie meant when he said that. But it seemed as if he was attempting to offer that as evidence that Billy was likely to tell him the truth, and Billy said he didnt cheat.

PS: I have a lot of respect for Richie Knucklez and Billy Mitchell with regards to all they have done to promote and support the DK and CAG community at large. But this doesn't mean I agree with everything they say, and I shouldnt be faulted or criticized with going where I think an honest analysis of the evidence leads.

-SHANE from North Carolina
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:54:42 pm by Shane_NC »
HIGH SCORES:
Donkey Kong Arcade: 865,900 22-1 KS
1-1: 11,300
Donkey Kong Junior MAME: 599,300 22-1 KS
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer