Author Topic: Donkey Kong PCB trouble  (Read 1561 times)

Vis3c

Donkey Kong PCB trouble
« on: October 11, 2017, 07:50:02 am »
Hello everyone.

i am new to this site and wanted to say Hi :)

i got a problem with my Donkey kong PCB. i dont know if such questions are allowed here, so please excuse me if not :)
my donkey kong PCB has an error, when i start the mashine all it displays are purple nummers on the screen.
anyone can help me with that?
pic: https://i.imgur.com/AFdfaTo.jpg

-thanks and greetings from switzerland

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong PCB trouble
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 08:48:04 am »
Welcome,

Did the game work before since you've had it or did you get it like this?

That pattern of junk on the screen happens briefly when all DK PCBs are powered up, but the CPU clears the screen once it starts running program code.

If it stays on the screen, it means the Z80 CPU is not running.  The CPU socket could simply be dirty, or the CPU could be bad or missing altogether.   If the game ROMs are bad, missing or not properly seated in their sockets it will also do this because then the CPU has no code to run.   It could be a bunch of other stuff also, but those two are usually the first suspects.

Lastly, that screen of junk is supposed to have a black background with characters and graphics of various colors over that.  Your image looks like maybe you have a non-Nintendo-compatible monitor in your cab.  DK PCBs output inverted video and if you have a standard arcade monitor you need to have a video inverter in between them.

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer