Author Topic: Donkey Kong 3 Remix ideas  (Read 6705 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Donkey Kong 3 Remix ideas
« on: July 08, 2017, 07:27:15 pm »
OK, if for some crazy reason they do a DK3 remix I have some ideas.

1) Since there is a secret Donkey Kong Junior sprite in the game, maybe give Junior his own board.   Like the gold board for instance with his own special bugs.  Maybe a bird or a flying snapper from from DKJr?

2) The bonus stage.  You could make it where Stanley gets bonus points for hitting worms that climb down the trees.  Or you could just do a Galaga like thing, and have Stanley shoot the bugs flying in formation.

3) Maybe have a super super spray.  This is basically activated when someone dies without using their super spray.  Now they have the super super spray.  So what does the super super spray do?  It knocks out Donkey Kong in one hit.  Basically use the scene where Donkey Kong falls to the ground on the gold board.  Of course you can only use the super super spray for one board, and it goes back to a normal super spray the board after.

4) Have an all queen bee board.  The entire board is only queen bees.  Instead of there being 4 or 8 for a level there are 16 or maybe even up to 24, and they come out two or three at a time.

5) Have an all super bug board.  When a bug steals a flower it becomes a super bug.  Maybe have a board with nothing but super bugs.  have them come out three at a time.  Of course super bugs are hard to dodge with more than two of them on the screen so maybe the idea will be scrapped for difficulty.

6) Create another set of ropes, and have Donkey Kong Junior also come down.  So this time you have two sets of apes to worry about.

7) Create a killscreen like there is for DK, and DKJr.

OK, most of these ideas are not practical when dealing with the original code, but hey it's an idea.  Will there ever be a DK3 Remix.  Who knows, maybe one day. :)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong 3 Remix ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 09:45:17 pm »
In an effort to try to retain some of my remaining sanity, I have to take a bit of a break between remix projects.   So if this one happens it might be some time.
But, the kit that I created for DK & DKjr could also be used for other games.. so that removes some of the development obstacles.  If anyone out there is up for this sort of challenge, the hardware for it already exists.

What it does not do, though, is add new graphics.   Since a DKJr sprite already exists that would be possible.  Snapjaws or Nitpickers - *not so much.   (*unless a reasonable facsimile of them could be created by stacking several existing sprites on top of each other.  This trick can also be used to create other new graphics.)

Also, existing sprites can be color swapped (selecting from the existing color set) to give old enemies/objects a new look.

If anyone has ideas for new gameplay elements,mechanics or whatever, post them up.  If I or someone else does try to tackle DK3, it'll be handy to have a big list of ideas, crazy or not, to go over and see what might work.  Keep in mind that even simple seeming ideas are much harder to implement than expected.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 09:49:26 pm by Sock Master »
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 04:06:29 am »
   Since a DKJr sprite already exists that would be possible.

In my opinion, bringing the DKJr. sprite to life in DK3 game play in ANY way possible the greatest reason to have a DK3 Remix.  Even if all you can do is to have him behave like Mario in DKJr. where the sprite just sits there it would be HUGE!  For 34 years that epic sprite has been hidden away in DK3, and to finally see DKJr. released from his cage would be epic.  I think it would blow people's minds just seeing the sprite in DK3 gameplay.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 08:34:22 pm »
4) Have an all queen bee board.  The entire board is only queen bees.  Instead of there being 4 or 8 for a level there are 16 or maybe even up to 24, and they come out two or three at a time.

This sounds amazing.  BibleThump
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer