Author Topic: Am I the best all around player of the 3 Donkey Kongs?  (Read 43857 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Am I the best all around player of the 3 Donkey Kongs?
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 05:56:28 pm »
I'm not the only 1 that put him first

Yeah, and the guy who voted Mickey Mouse for President of United States of America can also make that claim since Mickey Mouse gets at least hundreds of votes every election cycle.

Also my main beef with you is not about Mark Kiehl being number one anymore.  It's your extremely weak points you have made.  I have refuted every single one of them.   It's very possible that MarioMitch may actually have a more valid reason for voting Mark Kiehl in first.  One that I can't really refute.  None of your points have really been that strong.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Simpsons99

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 06:02:30 pm »
I really don'nt think they need to be.

Wheres your list?
I was the one that had the Nerve to make  a list in the first place.

Feedoom of Speech and the  Art of thinking the way i do.

Does Marky get enough Credit for being DKJR WR Holding?    No people give him crap becouse it's DKJR

I have taken the same crap for DKJR and now for Dark Tower .

I'm not the only 1 that put him first

Yeah, and the guy who voted Mickey Mouse for President of United States of America can also make that claim since Mickey Mouse gets at least hundreds of votes every election cycle.

Also my main beef with you is not about Mark Kiehl being number one anymore.  It's your extremely weak points you have made.  I have refuted every single one of them.   It's very possible that MarioMitch may actually have a more valid reason for voting Mark Kiehl in first.  One that I can't really refute.  None of your points have really been that strong.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2013, 06:10:07 pm »
George, the reasons why I ranked Mark and Dean how I did has to do with the relative difficulty of the games as well as the fact that I *know* they could master DK3 to at least close to your level if they tried. Mark has proven himself capable of learning all sorts of games, and I have watched Dean play DK3 enough to know he is capable as well. IMHO DK3's difficulty is significantly less than DK and DKjr because of all the extra lives, which gives a better chance for a player to refocus if they do die. Additionally, DK and Dkjr pose a different type of challenge because of the fixed number of screens, and I think most who have played both types of games (one with a fixed length vs. one with many lives where you need to survive as long as you can) would say that the first type of game is usually harder to get a great score on -since pressing all-out is usually harder than what is simply needed to consistently survive.

In the end, even some of the people I listed below you may be in the same boat as Mark and Dean where they could master DK3 as well, if they tried. But, I just don't know the details about their ability as well as I do for Mark and Dean. I also just don't know if the others I am thinking of (Billy, Steve Wiebe, Ike and Donald) actually even have a score on that game. Besides, as it stands, Mark and Dean have much stronger scores/ability on the two harder games (again, IMHO)  than they (the others I mentioned) would have anyway.

Edit: And I have been thinking about it, I would actually be willing to rank you first if, all things as they are now, you had about 1.04m on DK -not 1.1m like I said previously. :)

2nd Edit: And, yes, Brian, my putting Allen Staal and George Leutz in my list was just a joke to get you worked up ;) . All the rest of my list is completely serious though.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:15:28 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 06:22:26 pm »
This thread might very well get you to pie status Mitch.

I'm the first to unlock the pie, and lemme tell ya, it's pretty sweet up here on my throne.

Can you taste it?

http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 06:40:46 pm »
Lol! Yeah I've been slacking because of lack of sleep (I get lazy and more apathetic about taking the time to post then, when otherwise I normally would). I'm sure once the DK manual is finished and Vince and I have to manage a thread about that, a lot of posts will be gained. Is it weird that I don't really care about how many post I have other than the fact that I really like to see what the DK icon changes to?!! Haha, I hope at 10,000 posts the picture is Kong looking majestic. Jeff, if you see this, don't spoil it for us! ;)

Enjoy your pie while it lasts. I am famished. I am coming.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 06:46:51 pm »
In reality, I'm actually sort of restraining myself from posting more.

I don't want to be "that guy" that won't shut up. There's one on every forum.

I'm still getting out a couple of years worth of pent-up "can't post at CAG" frustration.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Simpsons99

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2013, 06:47:23 pm »
BTW I would put Allen ahead of George L  on this ...

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 06:57:15 pm »
George, the reasons why I ranked Mark and Dean how I did has to do with the relative difficulty of the games as well as the fact that I *know* they could master DK3 to at least close to your level if they tried. Mark has proven himself capable of learning all sorts of games, and I have watched Dean play DK3 enough to know he is capable as well. IMHO DK3's difficulty is significantly less than DK and DKjr because of all the extra lives, which gives a better chance for a player to refocus if they do die. Additionally, DK and Dkjr pose a different type of challenge because of the fixed number of screens, and I think most who have played both types of games (one with a fixed length vs. one with many lives where you need to survive as long as you can) would say that the first type of game is usually harder to get a great score on -since pressing all-out is usually harder than what is simply needed to consistently survive.

In the end, even some of the people I listed below you may be in the same boat as Mark and Dean where they could master DK3 as well, if they tried. But, I just don't know the details about their ability as well as I do for Mark and Dean. I also just don't know if the others I am thinking of (Billy, Steve Wiebe, Ike and Donald) actually even have a score on that game. Besides, as it stands, Mark and Dean have much stronger scores/ability on the two harder games (again, IMHO)  than they (the others I mentioned) would have anyway.

Edit: And I have been thinking about it, I would actually be willing to rank you first if, all things as they are now, you had about 1.04m on DK -not 1.1m like I said previously. :)

2nd Edit: And, yes, Brian, my putting Allen Staal and George Leutz in my list was just a joke to get you worked up ;) . All the rest of my list is completely serious though.

Definitely a much stronger argument than Brian's.  I'll give you that.   I'll disagree with you that Dean, and Mark have "Much stronger abilities" in Donkey Kong Junior.  Yeah, Mark is better than me at DKJr, and Dean is better than me on 3 of the 4 boards of DKJr.  But "Much better".  No, I have to disagree with that.

Also the argument that DKJr, and especially Donkey Kong is harder than Donkey Kong 3 is definitely true for me, but that may not be true for all Donkey Kong players.  Remember Donkey Kong 3 is a shooter game more than a platform game.  Ben Falls, and Steve Wagner do really well at Donkey Kong 3 because they are actually pretty good at shooter games.  I don't know much about most of the top notch Donkey Kong players besides Dean.

I do know one thing.  The former record holders Dwayne Richard, and Shawn Cram are all around great gamers.  They don't put up weak scores.  It's easy to get to a million, and not that hard to get to 1.5 million.  Enough gamers have done that.  The real trick is getting to 2.5 million on TG settings.  Only 3 gamers have ever done that.

Is that because the players feel uninspired to do better or is there something else I am missing?   I have no clue as to why people stop at 1 million or 1.5 million, but they usually do.

There is one thing you may not know about Donkey Kong 3, that maybe a factor.  The game is exhausting both physically, and mentally after a certain point.  Donkey Kong has safe spots, and so does Donkey Kong Junior.  There are times you can go on autopilot with these games even at the highest level.

With Donkey Kong 3 it's different.  There are no safe spots, and yeah keeping it mentally together for a million points when the game constantly gives you men is not the hardest thing in the world.  Especially on Easy settings that most people play it on.  But getting to 2.5 million on TG settings is another matter.

And unlike other shooter games this one has a timer that will kill you if you take too long, and has enemies that can not be killed that actually block your shots against other enemies.

There really isn't any game like Donkey Kong 3 out there.  It's even unique as a shooter game.  So maybe Donkey Kong 3 especially on TG settings is not the easiest thing to do.  Just saying.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2013, 07:23:19 pm »
Points well taken. I'll definitely admit that my ranking isn't a very precise science, and I only went off of pretty general assumptions and principles. Not to mention that I am probably lacking in quite a bit of knowledge about some players that I mentioned's scores on DK3.

One correction though: When I used "much stronger scores/abilities" I was comparing Mark and Dean on DK and DKjr to "they (the other gamers I mentioned)" -meaning Billy, Steve Wiebe, Ike and Donald. I was saying that even if Billy, Steve Wiebe, Ike and Donald all got good DK3 scores, they would still be lacking compared to Mark and Dean on DK and DKjr (which, I was saying, would be significant, since I view them as the harder two games). Yeah, you are definitely on par with them on DKjr (and like you said, probably a bit ahead of Dean). Sorry for the mix-up (I thought I may have been a bit confusing in how I worded that). You, Mark, and Dean are all neck and neck in my book.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2013, 07:34:53 pm »
Yeah, Dean, and Mark definitely own me if you count Donkey Kong.  So does Ike Hall, Steve Wiebe, Ben Falls, Steve Wagner, Hank Chien, and Billy Mitchell.  All are great players on these two games, and so I don't mind being on a different tier than them for the time being.  Heck, even if you count Brian Allen for just these two games I wouldn't be that offended. ;)

If you talk about the greatest Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Junior players though I probably am in the top 10, though just barely.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2013, 07:46:44 pm »
This thread reminds me of when we were trying to rank DK players for the original Kong Off.

It reminds me of the CAGDC thread that was asking people to rank classic gamers for a book of some kind.  That thread was amazing.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Simpsons99

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2013, 08:13:51 pm »
It was a Autograph Book Steve that will never happen.

I really wish others would post there lists...

I like to see where i fair in other people eyes...   I was called *MR. Donkey Kong *  on my FB last Saturday.  That means alot to me.  Even though i know theres players better then me..  Just the fact someone said that .

I do get sick of all the not taking me Seriously BS .

Online stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2013, 09:56:59 pm »

Hey Brian, I was only able to catch the final 2-3 levels of your recent personal best game.

Over 500k on your first man?  That's a pretty serious achievement!

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2013, 10:08:51 pm »
No that was from the 610,900 game from before.  But yeah i went over 500k without dieing before .  TY for what you said!

Saturdays game  I Died early  I went on the wrong spring 179k or something like that

Hey Brian, I was only able to catch the final 2-3 levels of your recent personal best game.

Over 500k on your first man?  That's a pretty serious achievement!

Online stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2013, 10:28:44 pm »
This thread might very well get you to pie status Mitch.

I'm the first to unlock the pie, and lemme tell ya, it's pretty sweet up here on my throne.

Can you taste it?

Oh yeah, tough guy?

Have you checked out the "Statistics Center" page recently?

https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?action=stats

Scroll down to the bottom, take a look at the "Most Time Online" rankings, and weep.

No one has more free time on their hands than me.  I'm absolutely crushing you guys!

Soon, I will rule this forum, then the world!  Mwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Sorry, my "Boris Badenov" alter ego took over for a moment.  I should take a break from watching "Moose and Squirrel" on the Cartoon Network.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer