Author Topic: Why are NES ports more popular to speedrun than Arcade/MAME?  (Read 7386 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
OK, I get why non arcade NES games are popular to speedrun, but I get confused as why poor imitation NES games of Arcade/MAME games are more popular.  For instance there are 64 entries for speedrunning the first level of Donkey Kong NES, but there isn't even a speedrun  1st level category for Donkey Kong Arcade/MAME.  There is only a killscreen the game category for Arcade/MAME, and there are only two entries.

So for me, it makes no sense at all.  Why would people people prefer to speedrun the crummy version when they can speedrun the better original version?  It makes no sense at all.

So anyone who knows the speedrunning community, it would be interesting to understanding the logic behind the preference for the NES port over Arcade/MAME.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

WCopeland

Re: Why are NES ports more popular to speedrun than Arcade/MAME?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 08:00:46 pm »
The NES is more accessible than the arcade platform, from both a physical and emulation standpoint.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 08:24:08 pm »
The NES is more accessible than the arcade platform, from both a physical and emulation standpoint.
I didn't know that.  Thanks for the explanation.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TBE

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 10:53:49 am »
Another reason would probably be the lack of score based games on consoles vs. arcade games which all (?) are score based.
Member for 9 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Boognish

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 11:02:03 am »

i run mame roms on my nes classic ....all day

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 06:43:25 am »
The NES is more popular than arcade games. It is that simple to me. It was "the" console for a large chunk of time, with little competition in either the arcade or home market. So, you have people picking games  to speedrun based on nostalgia, popularity, and recognizability (not a word, but you get it). It's just more prevalent, and other speedrunners who are younger do the same with newer consoles for a younger generation who lived those consoles and games.
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 07:57:10 am »
My whole point is 90% of NES ports look like garbage compared to the original arcade game.  For instance all three Donkey Kong's look like garbage compared to the arcade.
It's counterintuitive because the original better made version is less popular to speed run.
Wes though was right.  The crummy NES version is easier to obtain.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 01:40:50 pm »

Exactly. Plus people tend to follow others. More people SR NES so more people will also try and SR NES.  Its also something people remember about doing back in the 80's / 90's vs playing on that arcade cab in  your house :)
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline maxxcat2018

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 05:15:09 am »
Mainly because the price is more affordable and ease of use would have probably factor in too.
Member for 6 Years

Zmick_tricK

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 01:13:04 pm »
Speedrunning is mostly the domain of console players and there has been a pretty clear line drawn between those who principally focus on arcade gaming vs those who principally focus on speedrunning. There are, of course, some notable exceptions (ME! just to name a particularly insignificant one :p) but on the whole there's not a great amount of overlap.

So, as to why they don't do arcade runs? It's probably because they don't usually play arcade games. NES speedrunners, especially, are very console-loyal, too. I haven't seen any other community that is so dedicated to a particular piece of hardware for gaming.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:17:12 pm by Zmick_tricK »

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 02:40:33 pm »
Speedrunning is mostly the domain of console players and there has been a pretty clear line drawn between those who principally focus on arcade gaming vs those who principally focus on speedrunning. There are, of course, some notable exceptions (ME! just to name a particularly insignificant one :p) but on the whole there's not a great amount of overlap.

So, as to why they don't do arcade runs? It's probably because they don't usually play arcade games. NES speedrunners, especially, are very console-loyal, too. I haven't seen any other community that is so dedicated to a particular piece of hardware for gaming.

Yeah and well its a little mob mentality like. Everyone is doing NES so I should do NES too. Everyone snags an everdrive or just loads an emu and does it. Plus not a lot of arcade games are "speedrun" worthy. I have the DK speedrun record (mostly because not to many go for it) and its just a thing to do. Most "console" games have an end to them vs just going on forever as well vs a game that is designed to make you put money into it.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

DonkeyKongGenius

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 06:53:31 am »
When I grew up in the 80's I had my NES, I rarely played an arcade cab. Arcade games are great, and their NES port counterparts are often very poor versions. I don't speedrun DK and JR on NES and even though some people do, I still just have a "beat the game" mentality when it comes to these ports. I mainly SR non-arcade ports, in fact, now that I am thinking about it, I don't think that I have really SR any arcade port.

Besides, the best NES port of all time is Donkey Kong 3  <thefinger>  <stirpot>  <popcorn>

Offline maxxcat2018

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 07:05:17 am »
When I grew up in the 80's I had my NES, I rarely played an arcade cab. Arcade games are great, and their NES port counterparts are often very poor versions. I don't speedrun DK and JR on NES and even though some people do, I still just have a "beat the game" mentality when it comes to these ports. I mainly SR non-arcade ports, in fact, now that I am thinking about it, I don't think that I have really SR any arcade port.

Besides, the best NES port of all time is Donkey Kong 3  <thefinger>  <stirpot>  <popcorn>

I actually liked the NES ports of nintendo arcades quite a bit (DK1, JR, 3, Mario bros, etc.) not perfect but I still like them. :P
Member for 6 Years

Zmick_tricK

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 04:48:17 pm »
I actually liked the NES ports of nintendo arcades quite a bit (DK1, JR, 3, Mario bros, etc.) not perfect but I still like them. :P
There really are a lot of quality NES arcade ports. I agree with the ones you mentioned. I also grew up with Joust and Galaga, which are just as much fun as the arcade versions even if slightly different. (Joust has the sad omission of the gap between the platforms on the right, so no belly flop slip trick. :( ). Arkanoid, 1943, Xevious, TMNT2, Bubble Bobble, Bionic Commando. The list goes on and on. Not arcade perfect, obviously, but certainly not "crappy" by any means.

In fact, there are a few games that end up being way better on NES than in the arcades. Double Dragon 1-3, Contra and Super C are the big ones that come to mind.

Offline maxxcat2018

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 05:12:08 pm »
There really are a lot of quality NES arcade ports. I agree with the ones you mentioned. I also grew up with Joust and Galaga, which are just as much fun as the arcade versions even if slightly different. (Joust has the sad omission of the gap between the platforms on the right, so no belly flop slip trick. :( ). Arkanoid, 1943, Xevious, TMNT2, Bubble Bobble, Bionic Commando. The list goes on and on. Not arcade perfect, obviously, but certainly not "crappy" by any means.

In fact, there are a few games that end up being way better on NES than in the arcades. Double Dragon 1-3, Contra and Super C are the big ones that come to mind.

Agreed, I also liked quite a few of the data east NES ports too. Bad dudes is still a guilty pleasure classic for me. lol :D
Member for 6 Years