Author Topic: "New" Donkey Kong Cabaret - Follow Along as I Improve my Game.  (Read 22265 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: "New" Donkey Kong Cabaret - Follow Along as I Improve my Game.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 04:41:03 pm »
I don't think anyone has killscreened a Cabaret, but I could be wrong.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 07:51:23 pm »
Second day of owning the game. Just put up my new PB, 91,300.  Ugh, so close to my 100K goal (and hopefully level 5).  I died on the elevator stage of Level 4. I guess I need to study some more of those videos for when to time my ladder climb.  I ran on a long spring but still was hit.  My high yesterday was 80K but I just installed the score save DK Remix kit today.   

Member for 6 Years Blogger

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 11:41:32 am »
Ok, I keep dying on the third elevator stage.   I guess I need to study the spring timing some more.  Only have passed it once and was probably just luck.

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 10:23:47 am »
Finally!!! I got over 100K. 6 days in to owning the game.  I just had a good game.  I died on the rivet board of level 5.  I was SOOOOO close to finishing the board.  I actually timed out as I was reaching the top girder to jump over the last rivet.  I needed literally .5 seconds to jump the rivet and I would have been to level 6.. Ugh... So frustrating.  All the fireballs were at the top of the screen and I had to wait for an opening to ninja my way over the top hammer.  Totally forgot about the clock and it shocked me when I suddenly died.  Oh well.  I made it to the third elevator stage with all 4 lives.  I lost one or two lives there getting the spring timing down.  I beat the elevator stage on my first try on Level 5 fortunately.  I don't think I died on any barrel boards. 

Next goal is to get to Level 6 and break 150.  This feels good as I felt like I was really stagnating, I had a bunch of 90K scores all dying around the third elevator stage.  I needed a breakthrough.

Boognish

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 10:36:14 am »

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 02:29:57 pm »
Question:  In the future if I do record gameplay for submission purposes, will TG accept a score if my DK board has a DK Remix daughter board installed on it?

WCopeland

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 02:45:50 pm »
Question:  In the future if I do record gameplay for submission purposes, will TG accept a score if my DK board has a DK Remix daughter board installed on it?
Just don't mention it and they probably wouldn't know any better.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 03:23:00 pm »
go sir :)
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 03:49:06 pm »

Lol.  noted.

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 11:19:40 am »
Also, use the webcam that you used for recording the screen to record the inside of your cab, and make sure it's really dark in the cab and anything the webcam does happen to capture is super blurry.  :P The fellas here at DKF, myself included, will then come along and say "great job, accepted", and the rest of the adjudicators will fall in line.

I'm part kidding, but part not, that is actually a recount of at least one submission I've seen for DK at TG.  And I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just making light of it.  8) That long list of rules for submission that you find on TG?  Completely disregard it!  I think the good thing here is, we DKF'ers stick together and come to each others' aid to help get scores pushed through on TG.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 12:23:12 pm »

I'm not actually sure how fussy TG is, but for the record the DK Remix kit is the *only* high score kit which when you are playing Donkey Kong, you're actually playing your original DK ROMs on your main PCB.
All other high score kits will include a separate modified DK binary - with the code patched up to load/save scores and other features.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 01:37:38 pm »
I'm not actually sure how fussy TG is, but for the record the DK Remix kit is the *only* high score kit which when you are playing Donkey Kong, you're actually playing your original DK ROMs on your main PCB.
All other high score kits will include a separate modified DK binary - with the code patched up to load/save scores and other features.
That's great info there!  I've always wanted free play at a minimum, and high score saves would be nice, but my OCD purism wouldn't let me run the game off a daughterboard.

Confirming, this is the correct one, that will use the native chips?

https://www.highscoresaves.com/high-score-save-kit/john-kowalski-donkey-kong-remix/donkey-kong-remix-multigame-high-score-save-kit-with-deranged-dk.html

:edit: and is there a less expensive version that will run off the original roms?  Sorry, I'm a cheap bastage.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:43:50 pm by YesAffinity »
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 02:17:51 pm »
That's great info there!  I've always wanted free play at a minimum, and high score saves would be nice, but my OCD purism wouldn't let me run the game off a daughterboard.

Correct.  All the Remix kits run the original DK game off the main PCB ROMs.

[edit] Ah, if highscoresaves doesn't have stock of the original DK/DKRemix-only kit, I can send one to you.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 02:20:38 pm by Sock Master »
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 05:48:31 pm »

https://www.highscoresaves.com/high-score-save-kit/john-kowalski-donkey-kong-remix/donkey-kong-remix-multigame-high-score-save-kit-with-deranged-dk.html

:edit: and is there a less expensive version that will run off the original roms?  Sorry, I'm a cheap bastage.

I was able to buy just a DK Remix board, without Deranged and the Trainer features (I didn't want either of those features) and it was just slightly cheaper, I think $75.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 08:50:39 pm »
I posted this over at KLOV, but I figured I'll post it here and make it the beginning of a blog that I'll update when I reach some score milestones

Welcome! I post as Steve W over at KLOV, good to see you over here.  This is the best site for classic gaming gameplay hands down.   Have fun

Steve
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener