Author Topic: Netherworld Arcade Armageddon  (Read 16568 times)

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Netherworld Arcade Armageddon
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:38:06 am »

Netherworld Bar and Arcade is hosting an Arcade Armageddon event on the weekend of the 24th March.

This is hopefully all going to be streamed on twitch. It will be an all-weekend event starting friday night and ending sunday night - http://www.twitch.tv/netherworldarcade
Here are the details for the event:

The denizens of the Netherworld will band together to focus on classic arcade gaming for one epic, pixelated weekend.

On Friday we kick off with a pre-weekend speed trail competition from 5pm to 9pm. You’ll be pitted against scores of contestants to achieve certain goals in the quickest time on a variety of machines. Free entry, just be there on the evening to register from 5pm.

Saturday and Sunday is the main event. Screened on the projector ‘Live on stage’ Twin Galaxies High Score Attempts throughout the day on Galaga, Donkey Kong, Pacman and more to be announced. We’ll be hosting a Donkey Kong masterclass at 10am on the Saturday and a Galaga masterclass at 10am on the Sunday – free entry, just rock up.

We’ll have guest arcade machines over the weekend that will be announced over the next two weeks as well as a special edition T-shirt which will be available on the weekend and for pre-order.

If you’d like to post a Twin Galaxies high score, you will need to be verified with Twin Galaxies (https://www.twingalaxies.com/). If you’d like to attempt a high score over the weekend, please get in touch with Jimmy at jimmy@netherworldarcade.com

There will be some WR attempts strewn throughout the weekend too from various people. I'll be going for the TGTS Galaga record.

Also it sounds like I'll be hosting both the DK and Galaga masterclasses on the Saturday and Sunday mornings.
So I'm turning to you guys, the DK community, to help me promote the game in the best way possible; Is there anything you think should be included for DK?

Generally these masterclasses should encompass things like game and high score history, how to approach the game generally, basic tips for each level/board and possibly some more advanced stuff. At this stage I'm thinking of doing a how-to on achieving 100,000 points as I think this is do-able for most people but certainly isn't trivial as you need to get past the L4 elevators. A more advanced guide could follow with tips on how to run boards consistently enough for a killscreen.

I think I have Galaga covered but by all means if you think something should be included please mention it

I'm not reaching out for someone to hold my hand here but would like input from the CAG community in general so we can paint this hobby and these games in a really positive light and hopefully draw some new players to the community

Feel free to just post your thoughts here or via PM if you like

:)

Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Netherworld Arcade Armageddon
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 01:15:55 am »
Couldn't you delegate this task to Allen?
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline mameshane

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 05:07:54 am »
Couldn't you delegate this task to Allen?

allen is going to be taking the class and getting some tips lol. he needs to learn how to get past 100k :D <stirpot> <stirpot>
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline alumbrada

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 05:42:13 am »
I think "how to get 100k" is a great starting point for a master class. I still don't have 100k, but it is definitely an achievable goal for new players.

What are some things that are second nature to veterans but not so obvious to new players? I'll try to think on this over the next few days...

I attached an image that Ethan shared with me when I was first getting started - safe places to stand on barrel boards to avoid getting killed by barrels rolling down ladders. This is like DK 101 stuff but was really helpful to me.

Definitely, riviot wall jumps should be covered.
DK high score: 89,100
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 06:13:55 am »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Fliplismc

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 07:04:50 pm »
Awesome Andrew!! I didn't know you would be there!
I'm leaving NZ tomorrow and were a little sad that I never got the chance to met up with you.
I'll see you there  8)
CK MAME: 601,000 - KS
DK Arcade: 853,500 - KS
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 05:08:28 am »
Tremendous stuff, Professor Barrow's DK101  Kreygasm

The 100k goal sounds like a great idea.

Maybe you could hold a special session for  <Allen> on how the fireballs spawn on the riviots, and how not to split them on the pie factory. The other attendees will probably have worked that out for themselves after 2-3 games.
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 12:33:27 pm »
Well my advice to those on getting to 100k who can't get past the 4th level elevators is simple.  Before I was able to get to past the 4th level elevator, I sacked my men on the Rivet Board.  I was able to hit 106k without having passed the 4 Level Elevator.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:36:07 pm by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 11:34:36 pm »
Well my advice to those on getting to 100k who can't get past the 4th level elevators is simple.  Before I was able to get to past the 4th level elevator, I sacked my men on the Rivet Board.  I was able to hit 106k without having passed the 4 Level Elevator.

Not really what I had in mind. In teaching people the game I'd like them to get at least a grasp of "spring theory"

Thanks for your responses guys. Going to start making up a list soon. Don't worry, I'll make sure <Allen> is sitting front row with a notepad Kappa

Thanks for the pic Katie, don't think I'd seen that one before.

@Johnny  - Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Josephjo

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 12:52:02 am »
Nice to know I can now spend thousands flying to Australia to get your bad advice in person rather than via pm.
" Its not how you play the game but who you have backing up the bullshit."

From The Book Of Sczerby 2:18
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 02:04:15 pm »
Nice to know I can now spend thousands flying to Australia to get your bad advice in person rather than via pm.

I don't recall giving you an invitation  <thefinger>

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 05:47:35 pm »
Coming up thick and fast. Maybe Shane should be doing this???

Going to give a brief intro to KoK for those who don't know about it, also a summary of the high score history and current champions.
If you think something should be included just hit me up.

Cheers!

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 10:33:09 pm »
Coming up thick and fast.

also a summary of the high score history and current champions.

<Tim>
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 06:30:06 am »
http://www.facebook.com/netherworldarcade/posts/1346824118709218

"Over the last few days, Australia has seen its own 'King of Kong' in the making. Just yesterday, 'twitchshane' hit a kill screen with 901400, topping the previous Australian record held by Allen Staal.
All this, just in time for Arcade Armageddon this weekend, where Allen will be attempting a Donkey Kong high score live on stage. Now he'll also be attempting to reclaim his crown. It'll be streamed on the projector if you're keen to follow on."

:o
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 07:01:31 am »
I am keen.  I am.   <Walter>
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener