Author Topic: playing DK in MAME  (Read 9942 times)

LD

playing DK in MAME
« on: July 23, 2016, 05:41:34 pm »
hi does anyone know if playing DK in mame with keyboard is the response time slower than if playing with joystick and buttons.  I find I die quite often when barrels are very close and you have to do and early straight jump.  I do and then die before I can jump again.  I watch guys playing on arcade machines and it looks like they pull off the narrow jumps with ease.  Just wondering if anyone knows or has played both and can confirm.  Thanks

Offline jwade614

• Awards
Re: playing DK in MAME
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 06:40:50 pm »
You're not imagining things. It might depend on the version of mame and operating system. I played on .153 on windows 7 and the input lag was terrible. It doesn't matter what input device you use.
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 02:28:06 am »
Jason - this is interesting - what windows/mame-combo works the best from your experience?
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline jwade614

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 06:29:18 am »
For me, it's all bad. I could never get .106 to run well on my system. But I've heard good things about that mame version, especially when paired with windows xp.
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 07:57:23 am »
I've had trouble with any version that's not 106 on Windows.

The best MAME experience I've had is with SDLMAME on macOS. I believe you can run it on Linux as well... though of course you can't submit scores from this version.

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 08:03:53 am »
Yes, Windows xp + wolfmame 106, in my humble opinion.  It is slightly better than arcade, somehow.  Can't quite quantify it.  Maybe the experts can.  Seems the enemy/barrel collision boxes are slightly less intrusive or maybe jumpman's is, or both.  I also notice a much higher frequency of 800 point awards for smashes in early levels, compared to my cabinet, which seems significantly biased towards 300's, with occasional 500's.  :o  Ability to group on lower levels also seems better on xp+106 than it is on arcade.

I run MAME (official MAME) .121 on my MAME cab, which is powered by a Windows 2000 PC.  It is not quite as good as xp+106, but is pretty good.  No noticeable lag, ever so slightly less good than arcade.  I also have Windows 10 + official MAME .154, and W10+.154 is garbage, for DK.  Noticeable delay, compared to arcade and the other setups mentioned.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 12:46:35 pm »
The newer versions of MAME emulate raster effects in the emulated screen.   (This emulates a particular quirk of CRT type scanning displays...  If the scanning beam was at the top of the screen, and the Z80 draws the character "A" somewhere near the top, but then if the raster scan reaches halfway through the "A" and the Z80 then draws a "B" over the "A", the bottom half of the character will show a "B" while the top half shows "A"...)

In order to emulate this quirk of actual displays, MAME has to construct the entire video field in advance before sending it to the monitor.   *Especially since it also has to rotate the screen by 90 degrees before sending it to the monitor*.  This automatically adds 1/60th of a second lag on top of any other lags that can be introduced by emulation, LCD displays, scanned controller inputs, etc...

Older versions of MAME will show something updated on the screen 1/60th of a second sooner than the newer versions of MAME.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 01:54:45 pm »
Try a PS/2 keyboard.  I've never found a usb keyboard that didn't introduce significant lag to DK.

LD

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 04:05:21 pm »
ok well seems like this is a common problem.  I thought it was just my reaction time, but others seem to experience the same problem.  This kinda sucks I guess. 

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 04:33:37 pm »
I thought the "expert"  <Tim> consensus was that mame was easier?  <stirpot> Kappa Kappa
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline jwade614

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 04:42:39 pm »
I thought the "expert"  <Tim> consensus was that mame was easier?  <stirpot> Kappa Kappa

Yes, Windows xp + wolfmame 106, in my humble opinion.  It is slightly better than arcade, somehow.

<stirpot>

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 06:06:30 pm »
Well sort of.  In that experts opinion there is an order of difficulty.
RU Donkey Kong is the hardest.
Arcade Donkey Kong is Hard
MAME Donkey Kong is Easy
Kong Off Arcade Donkey Kongs are the easiest.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Online Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 06:24:03 pm »
Fffttt jealous MAME haters  <Tim>

<Sanders>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline serphintizer

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 10:45:53 pm »
Apparently, MAME is for the birds.  You could be ranked 1st with a 1.3M MAME score on Donkey Kong, and it not mean squat to the "powers that be".

Blue Horseshoe loves Windows XP and wolfmameplus-0106.exe.

Old news.  <johndaly>
"Kill screen? Ha! It's for tourists."  - Mr. X
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener CK World Record Holder - MAME DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK 1.2M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Former D2K World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer

d!zZy

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 12:13:45 am »
I'm currently running Mame 0.174 x64 on my MameCab with Windows 7 x64 Professional. My input devices are a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT with Sanwa OSBN-30 pushbuttons over an IPAC2 USB board and I've never experienced any noticable lag on Donkey Kong. Will get WolfMAME soon for KS attempts and test some versions in comparsion with 0.174.