Author Topic: 1943 Kai: Midway Kaisen Discussion  (Read 7662 times)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
1943 Kai: Midway Kaisen Discussion
« on: July 04, 2016, 05:11:51 pm »
Thread for 1943 Kai: Midway Kaisen strategy and tips.

Chosen by: AtariAge Highscore

ROMset: 1943kai (Play on RU)
Difficulty: 8 (Normal)
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: 1943 Kai: Midway Kaisen Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 06:19:21 pm »
The hidden weapon codes for 1943 Kai are not the same as 1943. Here's the list for 1943 Kai (1P side only):

Stage 1: → (Shotgun)
Stage 2: ↖ (Laser)
Stage 3: A (3-way)
Stage 4 : ↙A (3-way)
Stage 5: ← (Shell)
Stage 6: ↙B (Laser)
Stage 7: ↓AB (3-way)
Stage 8: ↙B (Laser)
Stage 9: ↖B (Shell)
Stage 10: ↑A (3-way)
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Hawkins

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 09:18:23 pm »
Trying to get to grips with 1943 Kai having played a lot of 1943 in the past. Seems a lot harder and I've found from Stage 5 the Shot Gun weapon is a must to survive. Struggled to get through 5 until I tried the Shot Gun, which makes short work of it.
Without watching any expert-player INPs to confirm it, this could be the most useful weapon in the game.
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 11:10:13 pm »
Trying to get to grips with 1943 Kai having played a lot of 1943 in the past. Seems a lot harder and I've found from Stage 5 the Shot Gun weapon is a must to survive. Struggled to get through 5 until I tried the Shot Gun, which makes short work of it.
Without watching any expert-player INPs to confirm it, this could be the most useful weapon in the game.

Good to see you joining in, sir. Nice score too!
I played a couple of credits the other day (I've got little experience with 1943 or this), and the shotgun worked really well on stages 1 and 2. I haven't really sat down and watched any games or figured out any strats though. Might be worth learning as I'm not sure many on the team are familiar with it.
Fly? You played this?
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 12:55:41 am »
Never seen it. I'll get on it asap. Which is in about a week if i dont get a chance tomorrow.

Hec
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 08:12:55 pm »
I watched some videos and the shotgun is rediculous compared to 1943 from the last tournament. It has stupid speed and range. Blocks the shoots too. Probably the bast weapon by far but damage is low.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 05:06:21 pm »
Ok played it last night for the first time and my first credit made it to Stage 10. This game is harder than 1943 but only if you don't get the shotgun. Shotgun does crazy damage and has autofire (Just hold the firebutton down thats it) and pretty much makes everything in front of you worthless as it cant hurt you since shotgun kills the enemy bullets as well. Shotgun in Kai is 1000 times better than the shotgun in 1943.

Here are some strats:

1. The plane "boss" levels give you 100% if you beat them fast enough. That is a 50,000 bonus vs just 10,000 so its worth at least trying for. Only way to do it is to have the Laser weapon. If have high health its worth going for it but if not just keep shotgun its a guaranteed kill for 90%

2. Regardless of the weapon you have ALWAYS do the weapon "cheat". Basically press these buttons and hold them down at the start of each round. I just hold them down when its playing the animations from the previous clear until I see I have it.

3. The POW cycle with 3 way, POW, Shell, POW, Laser, POW, Fighters - I recommend get shotgun first and then fighters second. Fighters are almost like an extra health pill as they eat damage from side impacts and bullets as well if they are high vs you.

4. Random items will appear for shooting. A "Barrel" in the water, Cows, etc. Get all of them! The only thing that can random appear is a Cat that will flash randomly across the screen. This is the laser weapon and you don't want it.

5. Shoot the ships after you get the 100% destruction bonus its worth points and allegedly a mobi-chan appears for an additional 100,000. Do not be directly over it when you destroy it as it can kill you from the explosion. Kill the ship and then move away for sec and then move back and shoot.

6. The Star gives you full 80 seconds of weapon.  Basically you can choose to just get POW/Health or the Fighters vs the Shotgun renewal if you know its coming up at the end of that stage. I'll summarize here. This is my 2.37 million where i died with just 3 guns to go  <thefinger> so you can watch if you want for some tips/etc. I just did and tried to annotate what each level has so you can make some decisions on what to get and when if these are indeed consistent. (Thought more Yaschichi appear so i may have missed them some)

http://www.twitch.tv/danman123456/v/78988001 (Starts at 2:15)

Pressing both buttons causes you to use one of your Loops. (The RR on the screen).
A button Fire
B button Special (Its what i tend to use fighting the boss or getting a shotgun renewal. Its the lightning or wave that appears)

Stage 1: → (Shotgun) - Has health pill at end of first half. No Star or Yashichi for full health or Fire so be aware. Don't need to change weapons.
Stage 2: ↖ (Laser) - This is a plane stage. Yaschichi appears so does the small Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet from the left side. Shoot this for a star and 80 seconds of laser. (I messed up and switched to shotgun). Having side fighters doubles the laser firepower as well.
Stage 3: A (3-way) - Health Pill
Stage 4 : ↙A (3-way) - Star, No health bonus and no intermission.
Stage 5: ← (Shell) - Health Pill. Use Loops to get pass formation of 5 medium sized ships right at end of midway point
Stage 6: ↙B (Laser) - Health Pill, Plane Stage - Lots of red ships come out to mess with you around halfway. Just get them as POWs or ignore altogether. You don't want to risk losing Shotgun until the end where you switch to laser for 100% if possible if you have high health.
Stage 7: ↓AB (3-way) - No health or Star at halfway mark. Be mindful of health. Health pill after killing large ships stage begins.
Stage 8: ↙B (Laser) - Health pill. Lots of spawns from bottom with smaller ships. Star also. Large Plane Stage get laser if can but shotgun is guaranteed kill.
Stage 9: ↖B (Shell) - Yaschichi appears
Stage 10: ↑A (3-way) - Yaschichi appears first half twice.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 11:26:20 pm »
Thanks for the tips. I have only played 2 or 3 credits of this and forgot about the weapon cheats at the start. Hopefully it won't take much to learn
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Hawkins

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 12:45:52 am »
Very helpful Dan, thanks! The only thing I have to add is there are shell (or bamboo? looks kinda like bamboo to me..) pickups for 5,000 (I think) points hidden in the clouds here and there. If you wriggle the joystick in the right place they gradually appear.
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 10:24:42 am »
Tried it. Didn't like it. The 3-way feels almost useless compared to 1943 which i use for 90% on that game. And for a game that can be easily mistaken for regular 1943, it sure as fk doesn't feel like it. Feels so foreign to me. Maybe i just need to play a few more games. This was my first time ever seeing it.

I'll be back at it.

Hec
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 11:15:06 am »
Thanks, Dan.  Doubled my PB in my first game after reading your strats.  If I've still got the shotgun with over 25-30 seconds, I'm not doing the weapon codes.  Rather keep the shotgun.
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 01:27:51 pm »
Thanks, Dan.  Doubled my PB in my first game after reading your strats.  If I've still got the shotgun with over 25-30 seconds, I'm not doing the weapon codes.  Rather keep the shotgun.

If you are comfortable doing that no problem. Its not an awful thing to do but I think every stage gives the red ships extremely early (most of the time before even having any ships to fight) and I feel having 80 seconds of weapon is more important.

Fly the 3 way is garbage. Its shotgun or nothing from what I can tell. No way people survive to the end with anything but the shotgun. The shotgun is a suped up 5 way shot that does insane damage.

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 02:22:14 pm »
Agree 100% with Dan - 3-way is almost worthless
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 08:53:14 pm »
Looks like the part i talked about shooting the ship after you kill it is indeed worth a TON of points. People are getting 120k plus just shooting the ship with laser after it dies so i think it must be "damage" based. gonna see what happens if i try killing all the final bosses with the laser and what score i get. figure what 7 boats that is 1 million alone more.

Offline jerky

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 12:53:57 am »
So is it okay to us the start screen weapon select "cheat" for submissions?

That would sure help up my scores  ;D

Member for 7 Years