Author Topic: opportunistic point pressing  (Read 12901 times)

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
opportunistic point pressing
« on: May 01, 2016, 07:51:15 pm »
We all know about the Andrew G back jump on Kongs girder (back jumping a single barrel early then back jumping it again from the opposite side for an additional 100 points)

but one other opportunistic point pressing move is the "Willms leach" that he once demonstrated on the 5th girder (the highlight has since been damaged/ removed due to twitch VOD changes as far as i'm aware)

The move is certainly worth consideration on long ladders on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th girders especially if there are no grouping possibilities available,
doing it on the 5th girder runs the risk of getting tagged by a wild during the second back jump, but it can be handy on the 2nd girder while waiting for the fireball to rise.

Willms Leach:

! No longer available

Another minor leach is if you are waiting to grab the bottom hammer and the fireball begins to climb the broken ladder, you can leach him before he has finished climbing.

! No longer available

The last one is for the early rivet levels, especially on lvl 1 and 2 , if the first fireball that spawns is on the 1st girder you can snatch 100 points off him and continue into the tudose pattern.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:55:27 pm by Adam_Mon »
Member for 9 Years Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: opportunistic point pressing
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 03:49:58 pm »
Did you ever happen to see my video (before Twitch destroyed it during their change) of where I demonstrated the front-jump-first version of Andrew G's leach? It is quite a bit more efficient, and I don't know why people aren't busy mastering it already (at least Dean, Wes, and Robbie). If one can get it down reliably, it gets 200 points off every barrel instead of 300 off every two. It may also be usable as a somewhat safe and efficient way to wait near the bottom hammer.

Oh yeah, and, if I recall correctly, the standing-jump-first version is possible as well.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:52:34 pm »
Did you ever happen to see my video (before Twitch destroyed it during their change) of where I demonstrated the front-jump-first version of Andrew G's leach?

I don't think I have, could we get a clip and add it to the thread?  Kreygasm
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:14:35 pm by Adam_Mon »
Member for 9 Years Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:05:56 pm »
Unfortunately, I have no easy way to demonstrate this leach at the time being (my cab is in storage and, last I checked, twitch isn't to friendly to streaming on Macs). Though, I know Ross saw the technique as well (he tried to replicate it without much luck, if I recall) as I would assume Ethan probably saw it as well or knows of it. With Ross still on vacation, maybe your best bet would be to have Ethan attempt it on stream.

Edit: Though, I guess I could try to screen-capture myself doing it at some point when I have enough time to get back up to par on the technique. ;) I'm pretty busy these days, but when I have some time I'll try to work it in.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:08:14 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 07:59:38 pm »
Is it the move from this thread per chance?  I do remember you had a newfound technique but the details escape me and unfortunatley the twitch link is defunct, If this is in fact the move that you explained I'm sure we can re-create it and document it in video form.

https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=559.0

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 11:40:25 am »
The timing for that leech is super hard. I've pretty sure done a front jump backup for points before jumping over a triple barrel combo before and I'm sure it was completely lucky. You have to land so close to the barrel I don't know how to time it safely. Backjumping at least you have a visual cue. You could possibly straight jump/back jump a little safer but still I have a hard enough time just backjumping twice and getting points. :/
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 08:47:07 pm »
Yes, that is the thread, Adam!

Where there is a will, there is a way. It is a tough leech, but in the now-defunct twitch link I had demonstrated quite a surprisingly high success rate given I had only been practicing it for a couple hours. The standing jump is much easier, and I had given a pretty precise description of how I had been able to nail down the leach with some degree of consistency.