Author Topic: Donkey Kong NES kill screen  (Read 14315 times)

Offline Svavar

• Awards
Donkey Kong NES kill screen
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:17:42 pm »
I was just wandering through Donkey Kong videos on youtube and stumbled upon this one. I did some googleing and it really looks like Tom Votava is the only person to have made it to the kill screen on the NES version of Donkey Kong. Or at least he is the only one on the list of fastest completion (kill screen) on twingalaxies.com. I didn't even know that the NES version had a kill screen haha, thought it was very interesting

Donkey Kong (NES) Kill Screen
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:21:25 pm by Svavar »
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

Re: Donkey Kong NES kill screen
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:51:13 pm »
As far as I know Tom is the only one. I gave up NES DK to switch to the MAME version because it took too long to get high scores. I played NES DK for over 6 hours and still only had a score over 2.8M http://www.twingalaxies.com/operator.php?gameid=3852&platformid=23&variationid=2445, and yet no killscreen.

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:00:19 am »
NES DK kills on Level 133 - there are no pie boards. Brutal to get there, but it's impressive.
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member

V3rby

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:27:58 pm »
well, i guess its time to get the old nes out again =D

the nes version is hard, because the gameplay feels somehow completely different (at least in my point of view)

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 02:46:41 am »
I'm pretty sure Tom's score was beaten awhile back with a kill screen, or so I was told.  John Heins is listed 1st at TG.  Perhaps he didn't submit for the fastest completion track.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 05:46:52 am »
As far as I'm aware, Tom is the only kill screen on nes donkey kong to date, but he did this with no bottom hammer on barrel boards, he was going for the first kill screen, John Heins didn't get the kill screen but played it out both hammers on the barrel boards to go for max points. This is why he is above Tom for score but not on fasted completed, he didn't finish. Either way a great effort by both.
I have a little goal my self on nes to put up a pal score on dk but I set my self a 1mil point minimum so it is not just a first place for a easy score.
Not sure of the recording rules now so I put it on the back burner.
Also not sure if my Asian version nes is allowed?
Nick
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 01:09:57 pm »
I basically just ran the NES through a VCR. You must start the recording, wait 10 seconds, turn on your  NES consule, then play. To switch to a second tape which I had to do during my 6 hour game you need to pause the game, wait 30 seconds, change the tape, record for another 30 seconds, and then unpause the game. Obviously you can't pause the game for any other reason, you can't intentionally use the point glitches in the game, and you must do the type A game.

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 01:29:02 pm »
As far as I'm aware, Tom is the only kill screen on nes donkey kong to date, but he did this with no bottom hammer on barrel boards, he was going for the first kill screen, John Heins didn't get the kill screen but played it out both hammers on the barrel boards to go for max points. This is why he is above Tom for score but not on fasted completed, he didn't finish. Either way a great effort by both.
I have a little goal my self on nes to put up a pal score on dk but I set my self a 1mil point minimum so it is not just a first place for a easy score.
Not sure of the recording rules now so I put it on the back burner.
Nick

Cool.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I've considered giving this a shot if I ever get around to getting an NES.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 09:20:40 pm »
you can't intentionally use the point glitches in the game

Just out of curiosity, what constitutes a glitch in this version?

EDIT: From TG: Accidental use of the Glitches where you jump a barrel going down a ladder gaining more then 100 points, and being chased by a barrel and jumping at the last second ARE allowed.

What is the last second jump?

If you mean an official Japanese Famicom, I can't see why not, as it's just an NES with a different pin connector - but obviously I'm not TG so who knows if they have a policy on this.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:16:29 pm by ebinsugewa »

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 09:49:12 pm »
Tom is awesome!  He is coaching me up on Mario Bros.
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 11:26:49 pm »
It seems as if you have answered your first question. For the second, the last minute jump is when you are running away from a barrel, and just before it gets you, you jump in the direction the barrel is moving. We do this in MAME to snag an extra 100 points when grabbing the bottom hammer. In NES DK the game glitches and gives you a couple 100 points.

you can't intentionally use the point glitches in the game

Just out of curiosity, what constitutes a glitch in this version?

EDIT: From TG: Accidental use of the Glitches where you jump a barrel going down a ladder gaining more then 100 points, and being chased by a barrel and jumping at the last second ARE allowed.

What is the last second jump?

If you mean an official Japanese Famicom, I can't see why not, as it's just an NES with a different pin connector - but obviously I'm not TG so who knows if they have a policy on this.

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 09:23:11 pm »
For the second, the last minute jump is when you are running away from a barrel, and just before it gets you, you jump in the direction the barrel is moving. We do this in MAME to snag an extra 100 points when grabbing the bottom hammer. In NES DK the game glitches and gives you a couple 100 points.

Cool, thanks. Though if I understand it correctly, wouldn't it be pretty hard to do it accidentally?

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 05:35:10 pm »

[/quote]

No not one of those. it looks the same as the normal front loader just instead of having Mattel version like most of the pal ones it says Asian Version.
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 07:38:31 pm »
If it were done for survival then it is not a continuous, intentional act. For example, in NES DK barrels go down ladders even if you are on the same level. Sometimes you will jump a barrel over a ladder. If the barrel starts to go down the point glitch occurs. If one were to intentionally stand there jumping barrels for the sole purpose of getting extra points then this would be intentional. But also with the last minute jump, if it were done all the time for that reason alone it would be disqualified. I have "accidentally" jumped a barrel last minute because I thought it was the only way to survive the situation. It is more of a survival reflex than an accident, but it is for that reason not intentional in the sense which would disqualify you. I would not suggest doing it at all because I find that this last minute jump is actually more difficult to do in NES DK than it is in the MAME version. There is some overlap of graphics that is allowed in MAME but in NES DK there is a lot less overlap, and in some instances not much at all, if any.
For the second, the last minute jump is when you are running away from a barrel, and just before it gets you, you jump in the direction the barrel is moving. We do this in MAME to snag an extra 100 points when grabbing the bottom hammer. In NES DK the game glitches and gives you a couple 100 points.

Cool, thanks. Though if I understand it correctly, wouldn't it be pretty hard to do it accidentally?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:43:33 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 08:22:14 pm »
It seems a bit weird that these point glitches are disallowed on NES DK when very similar glitches for getting points for things you didn't really jump compose a huge part of allowed point pressing on both arcade DK and DK Jr.
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer