Author Topic: Struggling with telling springs apart  (Read 3950 times)

Realzach2001

Struggling with telling springs apart
« on: March 23, 2016, 10:47:48 pm »
I've gotten to 88k buy sometimes struggle with he third elevator. I think i understand the technique but I have trouble distinguishing one spring from another...especially in time to double back if it's wrong. I've beaten the level by sheer luck alone I think. The videos and tutorials I've come across clearly aren't enough to help my stupid ass.

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Struggling with telling springs apart
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:59:42 am »
Yeah the springs are tricky when starting out, I'm not sure what your stance is on MAME but its great for save stating the springs, unless you prefer the more pure approach (not using save states) I'd recommend them though, will speed up the learning process , it just takes heaps of practice.

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 07:29:34 am »
The struggle is real. The springs were always a problem for me. When I was playing regularly, I got much better with them. I recently got back into DK after about a year of not really playing. The springs have been a shit show.  FailFish

https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=492.0 - in-depth spring analysis

Hope that helps
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 10:02:05 am »
The in-depth analysis above is the biggest help, for truly understanding the mechanics.  For a simplistic approach (and you have probably already found something similar to this), this is how a friend of mine breaks it down for his own understanding (he recently broke 150k and admits that springs are his major weakness, but that this helps):

You want to watch for springs at either Kong's "foot" or Kong's "balls".

From the top of the ladder, once you are in good position to run toward the safe spot on the left of the final ladder, you want to run on a spring that bounces under Kong's balls.  You have to wait for that spring to just barely clear you on its bounce, and then go.  You also have to watch for the next spring.  You want it to bounce at his balls also.  If it does, keep going to the safe spot left of the final ladder.  If it bounces at his feet, run back and repeat.

The opposite is true, in terms of the second spring, when running from the safe spot to the left of the ladder, to the final ladder.  Again, you want to run on a spring that is at Kong's balls.  Go as soon as the spring bounces over jumpman.  If the next spring is also at his balls, run back.  If it is at his foot, keep going.

Really, for the run up the ladder, the second spring just needs to be some position that is not equal to or greater than the position of the spring you ran on.

You will also find, with practice, you can a) cheat up the final ladder a smidge, and still have time to run back if the second spring isn't favorable, and b) have time to run back if you don't corner the ladder well and don't actually go up it (like I often do), if the second spring isn't favorable.

Hopefully this helps, and doesn't confuse further.  I'm sure others have their own little tricks and techniques that help them be successful with the springs.  For me, the springs were also the biggest learning curve impeding further upping my game from lucky L4 finishes to consistent L5+ finishes.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 12:18:53 pm »
Things didn't click for me until I learned to identify what type of spring was coming as soon at it entered the screen. Short springs appear already on a downward trajectory as they come on screen, and of course hit the platform further to the left. Long springs enter higher, and sometimes towards the end of their upward trajectory. Getting a good feel for that helped give me enough time to decide and react.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 02:36:38 pm »
I am by far still horrible at springs, but here is a tip from a fellow spring struggle guy.  I judge by the distance between the two springs.  If the distance is short, it's a no go.  If the distance is long, you are good to go.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:34:40 pm by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener