Author Topic: Is the individual bigger than the Donkey Kong hobby?  (Read 9897 times)

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Is the individual bigger than the Donkey Kong hobby?
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:04 pm »
A thought occurred to me.  We have some pretty famous people in this hobby.  Billy Mitchell, and Steve Wiebe have had millions see their movie as it has been on cable a few times.  Hank Chien, Dean Saglio, Robby Lakeman, and now Wes Copeland have received national attention.  But having said that this game is actively played by less than 250 people at any given time.  And with that I am probably being generous.

It seems to me that their popularity far outweighs how big this community is.  Not saying they are superstars, but let's be honest this is a niche of a niche of a niche hobby.  So in a sense I believe these people have become bigger than the hobby.  Yes Tiger Woods is famous, but millions play golf actively.  Yes Lebron James is famous, but millions of people play basketball actively.  So their stardom doesn't really outweigh the activity of the hobby as a whole.

But with this hobby, I truly believe people are bigger than the hobby.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline BillyGaines

• L=22
    • Awards
Re: Is the individual bigger than the Donkey Kong hobby?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:49:18 pm »
None of those sports have an Allen Staal.   <Allen> u luv it!
"If at first you don't succeed then maybe you just suck." - Kenny Powers
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 12:48:55 am »
Hacksaw Jim Duggan is bigger than Wes. HOooooooo!
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:34:48 am »
We have some pretty famous people in this hobby.

I disagree.

If you mean 'famous' as in the average person in the street would recognise a name or a face, there's maybe one - at a stretch. And they don't know the name, just the mullet. And for any normal person who happens to remember him from that film they were half paying attention to on a wet Thursday night in November a coupla yeras ago, he's a focus of derision and even contempt.

It seems to me that their popularity far outweighs how big this community is.

This is impossible. Their 'popularity' is exclusively within 'this community' (i.e. a couple of hundred handbangers).

Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 07:40:59 am »
Another homerun in my books George  8)  Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 08:32:41 am »
We have some pretty famous people in this hobby.

I disagree.

If you mean 'famous' as in the average person in the street would recognise a name or a face, there's maybe one - at a stretch. And they don't know the name, just the mullet. And for any normal person who happens to remember him from that film they were half paying attention to on a wet Thursday night in November a coupla yeras ago, he's a focus of derision and even contempt.

It seems to me that their popularity far outweighs how big this community is.

This is impossible. Their 'popularity' is exclusively within 'this community' (i.e. a couple of hundred handbangers).
Yeah, I think this could get into an argument of semantics.  I think we have a fairly close idea of how popular the Donkey Kong champs, and Steve Wiebe, and Billy Mitchell are. 

Perhaps "Pretty famous" is a bad term.  I guess I would change this to people who have gotten "National attention" for their gaming.

So having said that I still firmly hold that my statement stands correct.  The Donkey Kong champs and their knowness(not an actual word) far outweighs the interest by people playing Donkey Kong.

On a side note, this is not limited to Donkey Kong.  I think this is true of even minor arcade champs like myself.   For instance, there is a Donkey Kong 3 video of my gameplay that has over 12,000 in views.  I have some serious doubts to whether 12,000 people have even played DK3 in the past six years.  But despite that you will have that many willing to watch this video.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:34:56 am by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 10:05:00 am »
Number of views of a video does not necessarily equate to number of people, nor does it make George Riley more famous than DK3. I don't think any other gaming film has had more exposure than KoK, and I would say that film only made Walter, Billy, and Steve "famous" (not  <Tim>  or Hank or anyone else, sadly). Go to an arcade or talk about Donkey Kong with people of all ages, and they at least know of the character and maybe the arcade game. Put a picture of DK arcade gameplay and a picture of Billy Mitchell out there and see how many can identify each (q-ratings style). I think you'll find DK is more recognizable overall, which leads me to believe it's bigger than any individual.
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 10:35:40 am »
Number of views of a video does not necessarily equate to number of people, nor does it make George Riley more famous than DK3. I don't think any other gaming film has had more exposure than KoK, and I would say that film only made Walter, Billy, and Steve "famous" (not  <Tim>  or Hank or anyone else, sadly). Go to an arcade or talk about Donkey Kong with people of all ages, and they at least know of the character and maybe the arcade game. Put a picture of DK arcade gameplay and a picture of Billy Mitchell out there and see how many can identify each (q-ratings style). I think you'll find DK is more recognizable overall, which leads me to believe it's bigger than any individual.
OK, good point.  But is CaptainJivePants bigger than Mustache Boy?  Inquiring minds want to know!

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Simpsons99

• Brian *The Big Bird Hater * Allen
    • Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 01:27:09 pm »
hmm Yes the players are making Donkey Kong more of a known game in this day and age .

Now they should do a year in the life of  a Donkey Kong Player movie .. Cover all the different players as they get ready for event though out the year ..

With Donkey Kong it's not just about the Kong Off ..  Even though that is the Super Bowl of Donkey Kong Events ..
Donkey Kong 880,500 Kill Screen
Donkey Kong Junior 1,073,800 Kill screen
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000
Crazy Kong 566,600  Kill screen.

You Tube: Simpsons99 Gaming
Discord: Simpsons99 Gaming
Member for 10 Years DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

TheKookOfKong

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 10:31:33 am »

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 01:14:44 pm »
Wat da , who is this take that pic down at once fttt lit
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 05:29:33 pm »
Wat da , who is this take that pic down at once fttt lit

;D
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline Simpsons99

• Brian *The Big Bird Hater * Allen
    • Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 06:39:04 pm »
what is the problem with it Allen?  <Allen>
Donkey Kong 880,500 Kill Screen
Donkey Kong Junior 1,073,800 Kill screen
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000
Crazy Kong 566,600  Kill screen.

You Tube: Simpsons99 Gaming
Discord: Simpsons99 Gaming
Member for 10 Years DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 07:14:57 pm »
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 03:18:36 am »
My guess is that Dwayne Richards posted the picture.
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener