Author Topic: The Donkey Kong X-Files  (Read 29245 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
The Donkey Kong X-Files
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:30:32 pm »
I think it would be cool to have a thread dedicated specifically to all the mysterious occurrences to Donkey Kong.  These would be mainly known as the glitches of the game.  I will start us off with a rarer occurrence on Donkey Kong that I have only seen twice in the over 1300 games I have played.  It's a glitch where the game actually awards you an extra man, and then a few seconds later takes that man away.   

5th man awarded, and then taken away on Donkey Kong glitch

"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: The Donkey Kong X-Files
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:41:14 pm »
Dean had a very interesting glitch recently, I hope he posts it here! Someone (Dustin, I think) also had a cool glitch in another thread where Jumpman got stuck in a girder near the top of a ladder. We also need to get a video of Andrew G.'s ladder glitch climb.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:59:19 pm »
I will start us off with a rarer occurrence on Donkey Kong that I have only seen twice in the over 1300 games I have played.  It's a glitch where the game actually awards you an extra man, and then a few seconds later takes that man away.

Yeah, I've seen that glitch numerous times in my games.  Dave frequently comments on it during his online DK sessions.  It seems to happen when you complete a stage while simultaneously in VERY close proximity to a fireball.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 05:07:43 pm »
Dean had a very interesting glitch recently, I hope he posts it here!

In Dean's game, on a barrel stage, he performed a short wall jump at the right edge of the first girder.  The points were awarded, not at the apex of the jump, but a moment later as he was running left along the girder.  Moreover, the "100" sprite appeared in an unusual location.

Of course, the actual video would be far superior to my explanation.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:11:58 pm »
Yeah, I saw it. The '100' sprite was down in the bottom right corner -below the girder almost. Still so weird. Even after him playing it back several times.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:10:55 pm »
theres also that 100pts glitch on the elevators...

i had something happen the other day that felt kinda x-filey, but i dont think was abnormal...i found myself next to kong about to start humping with a freezer on my right and the rivet still in place, there was 1400 on the timer and i just bounced it out with the fireball dancing next to me, it didnt come out of the freeze cycle or cross the rivet...

8)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:12:44 pm by Fast Eddie »

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 06:28:09 pm »

Can you elaborate?  I'm not familiar with that one.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:39:06 pm »

Can you elaborate?  I'm not familiar with that one.

I think he's talking about this...

Donkey Kong (arcade) 100pt "Glitch" on Elevator stage demonstrated
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 06:41:26 pm »
Haha. That's just leeching the spring you silly goose!  :P

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:58 pm »
You will have to turn it up because of the poor audio/video quality, but this is a known hardware glitch on DK machines. I haven't had it happen in a long time, but my machine went on a run last year making inappropriate game sounds. A couple of times I heard the "snort snort snort" sound in the middle of a rivet screen. I have had that happen on another machine as well.

Donkey Kong (arcade): Level ending music plays toward the end of L=2
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 06:44:51 pm »
Eric Tessler needs to post the film of his 1hr game from Logan's Hardware last year. The sounds on that machine were completely off. It was actually quite hilarious!

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 06:45:16 pm »
Haha. That's just leeching the spring you silly goose!  :P

Yeah, I know...that's why I put quotes around "Glitch". A while back some people were asking about it on coinopspace..they thought it was a glitch.

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 06:20:21 am »
I've had the 'snort snort snort' happen in the middle of a rivet stage twice on my machine.

Yesterday when I was about to start playing, I opened up the front door to push the service button to add a credit and the speaker started making a high pitched white noise sound.

You'll have to turn up your sound to notice it...it was actually a lot more annoying than it sounds in the recording.

http://www.twitch.tv/mikegmi2/b/376631702

I eventually just opened up the back and turned the volume down, then back up again and it was gone.

Maybe it was an alien...or a ghost?
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 08:45:54 am »
Yeah, the extra man thing happens when you finish a board and technically die at the same time. A flag is set thinking you died, but before the program run the death routine, the finishing the level takes priority and you move on. But, since the death flag was set, on the next baord it thinks you died before, so the beginning of the board shows one extra man. Because the game like for it to look like Mario came from up top to appear on the board at the bottom after a death.

Another minor glitch would be if you die on rivets level 5 or more, the "How high can you get" reverts back to 125m instead of 150m.

I'd like to see that Dean glitch, but looks like he didn't highlight it. There's a 3 hour plus gameplay on March 8th if someone wants to go find it and higlight it.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Josephjo

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 11:18:01 am »
Dean's glitch - http://www.twitch.tv/up2ng/b/375012036

203:25 - restarts game
203:45 "This game is a massive waste of time"
203:55 *Glitch*
203:57 "Whoa!"
204:00 "That's the first time I've seen that!"
204:10 "That looked like a glitch!"
204:27 *Death*