Author Topic: A Cumulative Kong Off?  (Read 7654 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
A Cumulative Kong Off?
« on: March 02, 2013, 07:24:05 pm »
I was just having a FB convo with some people about the idea of there eventually being some sort of cumulative Kong-Off for all 3 of the Donkey Kong arcade games, as it seems as though, pretty soon (with all the tournaments people are practicing all the versions for), there will be more than a handful of good players that can play all 3 games at a high level. Just wondering what other people's thoughts on this were. Maybe like how D2K is going to be part of KO3 (apparently), the other games will be welcomed into the Kong Off as part of the event. We already had George Riley rocking DK3 at the first Kong Off, so it wouldn't surprise me. What say you?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

Re: A Cumulative Kong Off?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 07:36:56 pm »
That was KO2   He was playing DK3  He was going to play DKJR but he was to worn out after his DK3 Run .

If we are talking about a DKJR Event?   Like the Wild card events going on for DK?  I would be down for something like that at the moment .

Like i said before the same players that are good at DK are good at DKJR .    There's just a few others like my self that are better at DKJR then DK .

hchien

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 07:37:43 pm »
How would you score such a competition?  The DK and DK Jr. scoring systems are similar with a killscreen and very limited lives, but DK3 is vastly different.  If you just summed them up, it would be heavily weighted toward DK3...

DK3 >> DK Jr > DK

which is probably inversely proportional to their popularity (sorry George).

Perhaps by rank?  Like the system at BOTA2.

Also qualifying criteria would be a nightmare.  There's already a whole long thread when there's just 1 game to deal with.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:47:17 pm »
Maybe just do a 1 hour score on DK3.

A yeah, I made a typo, I meant to say the KO2 was where George was rocking the DK3. ;)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:52:39 pm »
How would you score such a competition?  The DK and DK Jr. scoring systems are similar with a killscreen and very limited lives, but DK3 is vastly different.  If you just summed them up, it would be heavily weighted toward DK3...

DK3 >> DK Jr > DK

which is probably inversely proportional to their popularity (sorry George).

Perhaps by rank?  Like the system at BOTA2.

Also qualifying criteria would be a nightmare.  There's already a whole long thread when there's just 1 game to deal with.

I guess the best way of going about that Hank is having Tourys for Each game?

I know George will Just Kill us at DK3 .

How about a DK Games month or something like this who can get the highest scores in the Month's time or   Weekends time.     I think the longer a event went the more players could be playing in this and alot of different names of players could take the lead on DK, OR DKJR .. I think it would be quite interesting .   

We could get everyone streaming  could be really something to watch!

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 08:06:44 pm »
I think that would be pretty cool.  All the games could be in the same cab too, although DK3 is not a straight swap.  I think DK3 would be best set to TGTS to keep the games shorter.  It would be more difficult to get this going, but it's definitely possible.  If they have a Pac-Off with several different Pac games like Richie had mentioned, it could be very similar to that.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 08:12:36 pm »
I think that would be pretty cool.  All the games could be in the same cab too, although DK3 is not a straight swap.  I think DK3 would be best set to TGTS to keep the games shorter.  It would be more difficult to get this going, but it's definitely possible.  If they have a Pac-Off with several different Pac games like Richie had mentioned, it could be very similar to that.

Yeah, Ben I was about to say that.   Make DK3 5 man in a tourney like this.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 08:16:18 pm »
George would still win.  I'd bet money on that.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:35:35 pm »
Yeah, 5 man would still require a lot of people to master it to the level George has. That's why I suggest just 1 hr on DK3, since that would have a similar scoring limit to how DK and DKjr are.

Simpsons99

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 08:39:13 pm »
If we are going to do a Limited amount of time on all 3 Games?    Thats the one thing i don'nt like about the Battle of the Arcades event .

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 01:33:34 am »
I agree George would win in DK3, but there are other games in it as well.  Would still be better with TGTS.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 05:02:15 am »
OK, sounds like there is a difference of opinion on how Donkey Kong 3 should be done.  One side says TGTS, and the other says 1 hour limit.   How bout a compromise.  TGTS with a 1 hour limit! ;D
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 05:49:01 am »
Obviously,  George is by far better than us at Donkey Kong 2.

However, if we start playing Donkey Kong 3, we can also become very good at this game. Right now, George has a huge advantage over us with DK3, but we have a huge advantage over him at Donkey Kong. In some months, maybe everyone will be good at the 3 games! And I wouldn't be against starting to play Dk Jr and DK3.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 08:49:36 am »
No way he is the Dean of DK3...   I say we have an event for each game ...

Why don'nt we make it  same time fame as a Kill screen on DK, DKJR?   3 Hours 15 mins?