Author Topic: Top Five Arcade Games That People Like But Actually Are Terrible  (Read 23264 times)

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
Re: Top Five Arcade Games That People Like But Actually Are Terrible
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2015, 12:11:36 pm »
1. Zaxxon
2. Journey - the band and the game
3. Mappy
4. Q-Bert
5. Frogger

If I could pick 10 instead of 5, I would probably copy this list. Most of these were on the list of ones I cut, and I've been regretting not inclding Q-Bert.
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2015, 01:18:44 pm »
Defender is a great game, but the controls make it literally unplayable for me.

Both shmups and fighting games are generally too hard for people who aren't masochists to enjoy them, so I can understand the hate. Though I would liken a good shmup to the first five or ten times you play DK (if you don't know about pressing/steering/star/weave etc). You flail around and die a lot, and if you don't keep playing you'll never have any idea that there's so much more to the game that you'll never see.
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2015, 01:56:37 pm »
It is better than Pac-Man but that's akin to saying Miss Congeniality 2 is better than Miss Congeniality, I would rather not see either of them.

I also find Burger Time to be clunkier control-wise than Pac-Man and Dig Dug.

:D
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Have a score on every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2015, 02:17:41 am »
For all the <mad> over Popeye and Joust, I actually have yet to hear anyone actually enumerate what, specifically, is so bad about them, and I'm genuinely curious about those two in particular.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2015, 04:15:45 am »
For all the <mad> over Popeye and Joust, I actually have yet to hear anyone actually enumerate what, specifically, is so bad about them, and I'm genuinely curious about those two in particular.

I don't care for the gameplay in either of them.  Popeye feels like I should be able to be more offensive, I'm fking Popeye ffs, look at my arms!   Joust I never cared for as a kid, my brother was a fan of it so maybe that's why I never enjoyed it.  I simply don't find either of them enjoyable to play.  It doesn't make them terrible I suppose, just makes them games I would walk past.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:17:53 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Max

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2015, 05:18:20 pm »
As for Joust, every once in a while I think I want to get better at the game and give it a shot,  then once I start flapping those wings I rage quit. The entire process takes about 1 minute to complete from "hey this seems like fun" to rage. I pass on Joust.

Popeye: yeah Steve, you're spot on. Popeye is totally defensive. All you do is run away. Of course tricking Brutus a bit to create a delay... is really just a tactic to get a head start on running away again. Run Popeye run! This is another game similar to DK that ends quickly for anyone new to the game too. The average game for typical non gamers lasts less than a minute. Another huge frustration is chasing hearts that suddenly turn direction for no apparent reason. Usually this leaves Popeye flat footed and ripe for a pounding. One bright note is that when you do hit Brutus, he takes quite a tumble around the screen. If you've not paid attention to the tumble he takes, it worth a look. I ignored it for years then finally watched the tumble and laughed. Mind you it's a short lived bright note.

-Pac anything
-Shmups
-Mappy (Mappy to me is like Joust - seems like fun, then the rage quickly sets in)
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

BrianD

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2015, 12:03:04 pm »
In no special order

1. Galaga
2. Space Invaders
3. Joust
4. Any Pac in "fast mode"
5. Tron