Author Topic: Top Five Arcade Games That People Like But Actually Are Terrible  (Read 23197 times)

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
1. Donkey Kong Junior
2. Dragon's Lair

I'll add some more later.
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Top Five Arcade Games That People Like But Actually Are Terrible
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:37:45 pm »
Pac-man
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:52:12 pm »
1. Joust
2. Joust
3. Joust
4. Joust
5. Joust
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Svavar

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:22:49 pm »
Donkey Kong  <thefinger>
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline BBH

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 05:34:49 pm »
Mappy and Toobin'.
http://www.twitch.tv/lordbbh
I don't actually play Donkey Kong.
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 05:49:55 pm »
1. Joust
2. Popeye
3. Space Invaders
4. Anything by Universal that isn't Lady Bug
5. Tapper
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 05:52:52 pm »
Dig dug
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 06:23:57 pm »
Mr Do's Wild Ride <mad>

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 07:02:15 pm »
Mr Do's Wild Ride <mad>

What in the world

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 07:23:45 pm »
I know Ill get shot for this but....

Elevator action

I respect the game and those who like it, also the high level of play you guys are capable of. I just find it way too slow.

:)

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 07:48:30 pm »
I know Ill get shot for this but....

Elevator action

I respect the game and those who like it, also the high level of play you guys are capable of. I just find it way too slow.

:)

I'll eat that bullet for you.  EA is the suck!

I'll add another controversial opinion...

Every shmup ever (sans Galaxian, Centipede and Millipede, which obviously aren't the type of shmup I'm talking about)!

I honestly find every shmup to be the same game.  Some have more bullets than others, some have more intricate scoring systems than others, but in the end they all resemble each other so closely they seem to be delivered from a cookie cutter.  I have no respect for the genre.

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 11:16:17 pm »
and Lover Boy Kappa

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 12:08:04 am »
Dragon's Lair

Agreed. A laserdisc game is about as much of a "game" as a DVD menu. These were expensive to play and utterly un-fun. It is my understanding that you couldn't set these for 1 quarter even if you wanted to. So basically you'd put in 2 quarters and die 3 times within about 20 seconds, without really understanding why you died or how to prevent it. I never downloaded any emulators for these, so California Extreme gave me an opportunity to play for free and see if I could figure out how to not-die. I left as bewildered as ever. I always feel like I'm hitting the direction (or whatever) at the right time, but I guess not. I don't get it, all I know is that back in the day I never felt as robbed by a game as I did by these.

Popeye

ffft, nobody likes Popeye in the first place, so this doesn't fit!

Anything by Universal that isn't Lady Bug

That's fine, but if Mr. Do is bad, then Dig Dug is necessarily worse.  Kappa

I honestly find every shmup to be the same game.  Some have more bullets than others, some have more intricate scoring systems than others, but in the end they all resemble each other so closely they seem to be delivered from a cookie cutter.  I have no respect for the genre.

Yeah, I don't get the appeal of these either. Collect power-ups to change the shape and color of the projectile coming out of you, memorize deterministic obstacles/enemies, die and watch power-ups float away unless you can grab them, kill boss, next level. Why did so many companies make the exact same game over and over?

As for me, I don't think it's "terrible", but I don't see what all the fuss is about with Mario Bros. I keep trying but it just seems like you have to stand around too much waiting for things, and when you move, every surface you walk on is as slippery as ice, until you get onto actual ice, when it becomes even worse. It's like they made Mario deliberately hard to control to compensate for the game being too easy if they didn't. That's the sign of design flaws, I think. I'll still work on it though.

Also:
Jr. Pac Man
Frogger

Keep in mind that my taste in games is shitty.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 12:14:41 am »
and when you move, every surface you walk on is as slippery as ice, until you get onto actual ice, when it becomes even worse. It's like they made Mario deliberately hard to control to compensate for the game being too easy if they didn't.

This made me chuckle.

Ill throw in a couple more:

Qix
Burgerti.....oh wait nobody likes this.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 12:58:36 am »
Lol, so much hate in this thread. Lit.  <Sanders>
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer