Author Topic: Keyboard or Joystick playing Mame DK  (Read 14578 times)

Offline John73

• Awards
Keyboard or Joystick playing Mame DK
« on: March 01, 2013, 02:42:05 am »
Just wondering for those who play the Mame version, is it noticeably easier playing using a joystick?   Perhaps Dean could answer this best as he is best known for his Mame play of DK.

I've played hundreds of games of DK, but using keyboard only.   Would it be advisable to fix my cab and play on that, i.e. should I expect my score to increase?

The reason why I ask is that  my game of choice is Bump 'n Jump - it took me a long long time to beat the then Arcade record playing using a keyboard.  About 6 months ago I got a dedicated arcade Bump 'n Jump cabinet.  The arcade record since I first started playing the Mame version had since been beaten and I was worried about the switch from keyboard to a real machine, but within about 10 serious games playing on a real cabinet I beat the new WR - the game just seemed easier, not sure if it was having a proper arcade screen (loads larger than a laptop screen) or whether it was because easier using a joystick over the keyboard.   

Using the arrow keys on the keyboard you've got at most three fingers on the arrows - left, right and up normally, to use the down key you are moving your finger off the up key and down to the down key, so I'm guessing the reaction time/movement time is slightly slower than it would be if you are using a joystick.

DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Keyboard or Joystick playing Mame DK
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:44:21 am »

First, a disclaimer:  I played a lot of DK on an arcade machine back in the early 1980's, but only once in the past 25 years.

You've correctly pointed out one advantage the joystick has over the keyboard.  One device to control movement in all 4 directions is more straightforward than using 4 individual keys.  When I play on MAME, I typically use only 2 fingers to move around.  My base position is index finger on the left arrow key, and middle finger on the right.  I shift one of those fingers to up/down as needed.

In my opinion, the keyboard offers far more pinpoint control than the joystick, particularly when executing a series of jumps that require precise timing.  I believe the keyboard's advantage (sharper control) more than compensates for its deficiency (multiple keys).

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 05:35:03 am »
thats interesting stella i thought everyone uses middle finger for up/down and the finger either side for left/right, your method seems odd to me i cant imagine playing like that...

the consensus seems to be that keyboard is easier, but im not convinced it is, i beat my long standing mame pb within a couple months of getting my cab and all my mates who have had a shot found the joystick more responsive and intuitive, but they are noobs...

i think the keyboard advantages only come into play at the extreme edge of dk gameplay and they translate to some extra points but not actually easier gameplay, i think you will have more execution errors with a keyboard...

8)

Fast Eddie

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 05:43:03 am »
i was talking mame vs arcade, before i got my cab i made a hacked dk panel for mame and i really didnt like it at all, i think you need a mame cab or a good ergonomic setup with a bolted down control panel to effectively play dk mame with a joystick...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:49:03 am by Fast Eddie »

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 05:51:21 am »
thats interesting stella i thought everyone uses middle finger for up/down and the finger either side for left/right, your method seems odd to me i cant imagine playing like that...

You may be on to something.  Perhaps this helps explain why I'm still waiting for my first kill screen.   :(

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 05:54:01 am »
id definately give it a try m8, id be amazed if any of the other good dk mame players use your method...

8)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:08:56 am by Fast Eddie »

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 07:57:11 am »
Overall, playing on keyboard is quicker, and can be more precise.

However, everybody that does a very good high score on MAME can reproduce the same high score on arcade. But for my own experience, it is still a little bit easier to play with a keyboard than with a joystick (probably because I started playing on MAME at first).

I personally use 3 fingers to move (up/down with my middle finger, and left/right with two others). I personally move Jumpman with:"SDFE" and jump with "J", since it allows me to put my fingers as if I was writing on the keyboard (and for me, it's more ergonomical/comfortable that way).

1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 08:06:03 am »
I personally use 3 fingers to move (up/down with my middle finger, and left/right with two others). I personally move Jumpman with:"SDFE" and jump with "J", since it allows me to put my fingers as if I was writing on the keyboard (and for me, it's more ergonomical/comfortable that way).

Hey Vincent, that reminds me of a question I've been planning to ask.  I wonder how many MAME players map their keys so that moving is done with the left hand, and jumping with the right (similar to the arcade configuration, instead of the exact opposite).

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 08:11:52 am »
Hey Vincent, that reminds me of a question I've been planning to ask.  I wonder how many MAME players map their keys so that moving is done with the left hand, and jumping with the right (similar to the arcade configuration, instead of the exact opposite).

For the first 2/3 years when I started playing Donkey Kong, I used to move Jumpman with my right hand (with the arrows), and jump with "CTRL". I know that Jeff Willms is also moving with his right hand.

I changed it to start moving with my left hand, because... I don't know, probably because I started moving with my left hand while playing on arcade. But on MAME, moving with the left hand or right hand isn't that much of a difference to be honest. I can pretty much be as good with both hands.

But I think Dean is also moving with his right hand. Ross, I think his left hand (I don't know exactly, I'm just guessing). But I don't think it's that much of a difference between moving with left and right.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 08:19:29 am »
I don't always play DK on MAME, but when I do, I move with "AWSD" and jump with right CTRL.

Stay thirsty my friends.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 08:21:40 am »
i often play mame and arcade on the same day but i still prefer to swap hands and use the arrows, i like how they are a bit apart from the other keys and are lined up properly rather than offset like the letters...

8)

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 12:46:51 pm »
I'm no where up to your guys lvl but I find personally higher scores with the arcade controls. I probably play 5-10 more games a week on keyboard but am consistantly  higher with arcade controls.
I think this has to do with the fact I know the arcade is not as precise so I don't take as many risks in general. So this equates to higher scores.
At some stage I'd like to get a good arcade control for the pc and maby put keyboard buttons on the cab. Could be interesting :)
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 12:54:48 pm »
X-Arcade when using DK Mame.  I would think it is easyer with a Joystick then a keyboard.

I think thats alot of Allens problems ....

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 01:19:11 pm »
I probably play 5-10 more games a week on keyboard but am consistantly higher with arcade controls.  I think this has to do with the fact I know the arcade is not as precise so I don't take as many risks in general. So this equates to higher scores.

You may be right.  That's an excellent point.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline John73

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 01:25:34 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  Really short on time atm, so chances of getting my Mame cabinet working by the Wildcard challenge is not good, but I'd really like to give DK a decent shot on a proper cabinet.

DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer