Author Topic: Wes Copeland scores 1,121,600  (Read 17064 times)

Offline fruitygayspaghetti

• Awards
Re: Wes Copeland scores 1,121,600
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 11:06:59 pm »
congrats sir.
former Super Glob (Pac-Man hardware) (German bootleg) MAME wr holder

Black Widow (MAME) - 472,650
EA - 80,800
Member for 10 Years Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 12:08:59 am »
Nice work Wes!

It had to happen, was only a matter of time.

Congrats from England!

Gutted I missed it!

BIG!!!!  Kreygasm

Watch out Robbie.....Copie's comin' ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:45:04 am by Jonesy Kong »
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 02:51:04 am »
so large mate, great job!

Fast Eddie

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 03:04:14 am »
Awesome m8 well done!

8)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 05:55:16 am »
Well done, Wes! It was probably a good thing that I missed it. Kappa
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 06:22:59 am »
Congrats Wes mate! So hyped for you. Very BIG. Now go HUUUJJ!

Kreygasm

<Roy>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 06:29:39 am »
So great!  you must feel like 1.1 million bucks right about now!  Kreygasm Kreygasm
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 09:42:58 am »
Words cannot express how thankful I am for everyone's support.

My road to a 1.1 score was paved with tragedy.  When I hit 1.045m in DKO4 I was already playing way below what I was actually doing in practice.  Roughly a month after DKO4 I scored the 1.0995m, which was heartbreaking in and of itself.

After the 1.0995m I had twelve or thirteen games that crossed the 900k mark on pace for 1.1, but due to extreme anxiety or lack of confidence I just was never able to seal the deal. 

Starting last Friday, I began a complete relook at how I approached pie factories and rivets.  After this relook, my success rate on these boards has increased astronomically.  On Monday, I had the 1.0993m game where I got about 850k on a single man.  On that game, I really cut my start down (only about 120k) and I really cut my pace down, and that is the reason why that game did not break 1.1 million.  I was zoned out most of that game, and for the most part was completely relaxed as it was well under the pace I do in offline practice.

Yesterday I decided not to cut my start as much (128k+) and not to cut my pace as much (58.5k+ the majority of the game).  I still felt completely relaxed at this pace and entered L19 with a 59k+ level average.  At that moment I "woke up" and realized if I just finished the game it would be 1.1.  Anything higher than that was a secondary achievement, so I purposely dropped over 16k points in the last three levels of the game to err on the side of caution.

I could not have done this without everyone's well-wishes and encouragement.  I had an extremely strong support system of friends, family, and fellow players to get here.  I would love to list names, but there are literally so many people who have helped me along the way I don't believe it's possible to list everyone without leaving someone out, and I believe that is a great gift worth stating. I had seriously convinced myself I would be retiring only just a bit over a week ago, but I see now that was a huge error in judgment. After I pulled that statement, I was able to reapproach the game with a restored sense of humility and respect.

I plan on taking a week or two off, and during that time I'm going to be hard at work getting my control panel in a state where I'm finally happy.  After that's done, I'll be switching to arcade and will begin pursuing the world record full-time.  I'm playing well above WR pace in offline practice, and I am 100% certain I'm capable.  I consider Robbie a great friend.  I completely credit a lot of his advice and techniques for helping me get to where I am today.  He is both a great player and a great person, so I want to make it absolutely clear that any type of score-chasing rivalry that happens is not a personal thing I have with him in any way and is more done out of humor (ie - my avatar).  With that in mind:

I believe having two players sparring for the record (Billy vs Steve, Hank vs Vincent) is essential in maintaining a competitive and healthy atmosphere for the game, and while others may have let this one sit on the shelf, I will not.

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 09:51:40 am »
Well done, Copie! Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 10:52:31 am »
Congrats on this big score!  It was interesting to read your recollection of the events leading up to this run and your battle to overcome some of the mental hurdles that this game always seems to provide to everyone that attempts to play at a high level.  We all know exactly what you went through and the relief that comes from finally putting together a performance that reflects your skill.  Glad to hear that you will be pursuing the world record.  Good luck!
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Winner of a community event Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - MAME Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 11:22:26 am »
Congrats on this big score!  It was interesting to read your recollection of the events leading up to this run and your battle to overcome some of the mental hurdles that this game always seems to provide to everyone that attempts to play at a high level.  We all know exactly what you went through and the relief that comes from finally putting together a performance that reflects your skill.  Glad to hear that you will be pursuing the world record.  Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement, Dean.  You will always be the true king.

lakeman421

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 11:55:48 am »
I plan on taking a week or two off, and during that time I'm going to be hard at work getting my control panel in a state where I'm finally happy.  After that's done, I'll be switching to arcade and will begin pursuing the world record full-time.  I'm playing well above WR pace in offline practice, and I am 100% certain I'm capable.  I consider Robbie a great friend.  I completely credit a lot of his advice and techniques for helping me get to where I am today.  He is both a great player and a great person, so I want to make it absolutely clear that any type of score-chasing rivalry that happens is not a personal thing I have with him in any way and is more done out of humor (ie - my avatar).  With that in mind:

I believe having two players sparring for the record (Billy vs Steve, Hank vs Vincent) is essential in maintaining a competitive and healthy atmosphere for the game, and while others may have let this one sit on the shelf, I will not.

This will be fun to see what happens from here on out.  I knew the day would come where you would be chasing the WR.  For a while now I knew you were capable of making a run at the record, and probably now the most motivated player to do it.  Maybe there will be another doc-u-men-tary <Tim>

WCopeland

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 12:36:38 pm »
This will be fun to see what happens from here on out.  I knew the day would come where you would be chasing the WR.  For a while now I knew you were capable of making a run at the record, and probably now the most motivated player to do it.  Maybe there will be another doc-u-men-tary <Tim>

Yer hopefully this does not devolve into a series of prolonged masochistic self-torture. I just hope I'm lucky enough  <Tim>

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 12:51:54 pm »
Big Score! Congrats! KNow you and I have both been hoping to hit that 1.1M , me longer than you. MY time to play lately has greatly been reduced and lots of other issues, but hope to get over that hump, it's a big accomplishment. Now top is flooded with 1.1M!
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 01:22:38 pm »
congrats, sir and keep going
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer