Author Topic: New member intro  (Read 6105 times)

J.Deans

New member intro
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:39:53 pm »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and just wanted to give a little background about myself. I'm 41 and live in Vancouver Washington, just across the Columbia river from Portland Or.
I have been collecting arcade games from my youth for about 5 years. I've been playing and trying to improve my DK skills on the arcade machine for almost a year and have made some decent progress for a rookie. My high is 506,200 but I average around 300,000 . I have Mame but I only really used it getting comfortable with the 3rd elevators. My main weakness at this point (I know it's early) in the game is wild barrels. I don't point press on the barrels and only get the top hammer, I just try to get to the hammer as fast as I can. I think if I could get better with wild barrel reaction it would be of great help improving my score. Most of what I've learned is from watching videos of the best players and reading some older CAG threads, there's not a lot on Klov that i could find other than the basic intermediate stuff. I'm very glad that this forum was put together, it should be very helpful for people like me with a lower skill set that want to improve. It's great that all this knowledge is now in one place and people don't have to scour the web for tips and strategy. Thank you to the founder(s) of this forum, Jon.

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
Re: New member intro
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:08:06 pm »
Welcome Jon!

If you haven't already , check out twitch.tv and the list of DK streamers thread. There is usually someone streaming DK and a lot of us hang out in the chats.

Glad to have you aboard.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:33:27 pm »

Greetings, Jon, and welcome to the forum!

If you're having trouble with wild barrels, you're certainly not alone.  Experts and beginners alike have suffered plenty of wild barrel abuse.  If I had $1 for every promising start that's been ruined by one of those missiles doing a tap dance on my face, I'd never have to work again.

I'll echo Jeff's Twitch TV recommendation.  It's a valuable resource for players looking to improve their game.  Watching the online streams of more experienced players is a good way to pick up techniques, strategies, and other elements of gameplay that you may not have considered.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

J.Deans

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:48:04 pm »
Thanks for the welcome and info guys, I will checkout Twitch.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:34:05 pm »
Greetings and welcome!

And might I suggest checking out Kangaroo at some point as well as a game to enjoy.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 05:59:19 pm »
Damnit Steve this isn't the Kangaroo forums.  I swear he's plotting something evil that involves getting people to play Kangaroo.

Anyway.. Welcome Jon.  I live just down the river from you in Portland.  There's a number of CAG players/collectors out here in the Northwest. 

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:22:39 pm »
(insert manaical laugh)

It's all falling into place now....I mean....errr....ummmm....Donkey Kong is cool.....yeah.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:41:20 pm »
Welcome Jon,

I'm also a new guy here.

Pretty cool to have a DK only forum......with of course a bit of Kangaroo thrown in just for a laugh!  ;D

Cheers

Jonesy!!
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

J.Deans

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19:55 am »
Hey Jonesy, what's funny is I was on klov reading about an overpriced Kangaroo game for $2500. that the members were making fun of on ebay(it's in general arcade discussion) . When you made your comment welcoming me. It was one of the first posts in the general area so I had to check it out with all this talk of Kangaroo. I've never played it but ill have to try it on mame.One guy said he had to give his away because he could not even get $25 for it. Another said it was the only dedicated cab that he would not worry about converting to something else, which is looked down upon buy collectors, but he was fine with it. I am not making this up, look for yourself, Lol. I mean how bad can it be ?

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 01:06:04 am »
Haha....Nice!

Well i'm over in England and i only know of 1...yes just 1 dedicated Kangaroo! So i'm safe!  ;D

I did check it out on MAME.....but not for very long!!  ;)

I'm off over to KLOV to check out this Kangaroo man!

Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 04:17:50 am »
Hi and welcome  :)
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 06:03:26 am »
Greetings and welcome!
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:21 am »
Welcome!  Nice little group developing here!
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener