Author Topic: My 8,772,700 Donkey Kong 3 record could be a sham  (Read 6084 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
My 8,772,700 Donkey Kong 3 record could be a sham
« on: December 13, 2014, 09:06:19 am »
Ever since I achieved this score I have had it in the back of my mind, "It was on easier settings!"  Before the Kong Off 3 I was getting scores between 5 to 6 million on MAME using Arcade Hard settings.  While it is true that I tend to do better on Arcade than MAME, I usually don't do that much better.
I was assured by Jourdin that the settings were on hard.  I asked before hand, and when I had some doubts I asked again after I broke the record.  He seemed fairly certain, and I didn't want to rock the boat on new ownership.
So since then, I haven't analyzed my video to see if my suspicions were true or not.
Also I wanted to publish the super long video on Youtube before I made this possible accusation,  and it would have taken a week under my old internet to get all 8 parts of my video uploaded.  The 1 hour, and 6 minute long 5 man settings took me 14 hours to upload with my old Internet.
Of course I could be wrong, and this was actually on Hard settings, but my gut is telling me no.  It was more likely a lower setting.
I know for some people this is like telling someone there is no Easter Bunny, and casts into doubt a lot of scores done live, even in the modern day if my instincts are correct, but I rather have a true record, than a false one.

Here is the part one video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-37_jVTZuM
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:09:43 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Donkey Kong Genius

Re: My 8,772,700 Donkey Kong 3 record could be a sham
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 10:15:41 am »
What setting do you suspect was used? It certainly was not easy, Kong seems to move down too quickly.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 10:32:32 am »
What setting do you suspect was used? It certainly was not easy, Kong seems to move down too quickly.

Medium, which is much harder to tell the difference between than hard, and easy.  Like I said it could be MAME level hard after all, and I am just being paranoid.  Unfortunately there are two Medium settings for Arcade.  Medium easy, and Medium hard.  Medium Hard is the official settings.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 11:20:55 am »
Bumping an ancient thread with new evidence.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer