Author Topic: Hey guys (introduction)  (Read 4969 times)

Leo

Hey guys (introduction)
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:29:13 pm »
Just saying formally hello :)

Quick history..

26 year old Australian from West Coast (Perth). Watched King of Kong when it came out, loved it, but didn't take up the game.

I've played competitive FPS games online for years (original CS, Quake3, QuakeLive, TeamFortress2) but got pretty jaded with it last few years.

When Vincent recently came close to Hanks score, my best mate (huge Nintendo nerd) sent me a link to a news article. I decided to get the game and start playing..

Been at it for like 5-6 weeks, playing relatively casually I have managed to crack 100k a few times, with 110700 being the best score so far :P

I have read most of the conventional knowledge out there already, but I still make foundational mistakes way often. Passing 3rd Elevators is still a trick and when I do pass it, I feel like it's a fluke half the time.

http://www.twitch.tv/bendzor/c/1907203 Some footage of me swearing at wild barrels.

See ya around :)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Hey guys (introduction)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:39:20 pm »
Welcome! Feel free to ask questions and watch others' streams!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:54:48 pm »
Hello Leo.  Like you I used to play FPSers, I listen to Basshunter, and I swear directly at the game.  We can be friends.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:57:07 pm by VON »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Winner of a community event Wildcard Rematch Champion Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:51:48 pm »
Welcome aboard Leo! The Aussies are well represented here! ;)
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:54:15 pm »
What does that make... 5 Aussies? You guys gotta make a club or team or something! Have your own Kong Off!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 12:06:49 am »
Hi mate welcome.

If we have an Aussie team wouldn't Allen have to be captain :)

Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Leo

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 03:56:46 am »
http://www.twitch.tv/bendzor/c/2013611

Decent score for me (2nd best ever actually)..

Someone break down to me where I suck and where I don't :)

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 10:34:43 am »
1. There are a lot of spots where you are jumping left or right when you should be vertical jumping (barrel screens). Jumping left/right cuts down on your moving real estate...giving you less time to make decisions and jump consecutive barrel combinations.

2. Also barrels, you seem to always wait until you can steer a barrel out of the way before making the final climb up to the top...there are plenty of chances to just wait for a barrel to roll by, then run straight up.  It's always close, but you always have time to run up without steering barrels.  This is good to understand when you eventually run into panic situations where fireballs are chasing you up to the top...

3. 2-3, it's always recommended to get rid of the bottom right rivet if you can...before you climb up and try to remove the upper right top 2 rivets...and what happened to you is exactly why...you get trapped up there and almost die.  Also, understanding the behaviors of the freezers would have provided an easier escape for you...even after getting semi-trapped up there.  You may or may not know the freezer behaviors, if not, it's good to understand.  There are posts/threads on CAGDC regarding freezers.

4. Your first death...caused by jumping left/right.  If you work on jumping straight up more often...you will die less on barrel screens.  You will eventually get the timing of the jumping down...and know when to jump so that you can land directly behind barrels as they roll under you.  This is the optimal way of jumping barrels and having the best chance of surviving subsequent barrel jumps. (Reason being, and you may or may not  know this...but Jumpman is delayed for a fraction of a second after each jump...like he is stuck to the ground for a short amount of time...and you can't jump again...so you always want to have lots of room in front of you...and always have time to immediately jump again).

5. Your second death, this is just unlucky...part of the game that we all hate...the wild barrel to the face.  It's often unavoidable...but my only advice would be to try to never put yourself in a position where you are jumping to the left or right (or directly below) of Kong on L1-L4 barrel screens.  Be patient and steer barrels away until you have a clear path to clumb up and move around without having to jump barrels right away (this is not always possible, obviously).  If you DO have to make jumps like this around Kong...try and wait until his animation is in the "middle, just before releasing a barrel" phase.  During this time, Kong has passed his point of being able to release a wild barrel, and will be releasing a normal rolling barrel...and won't be able to do any crazy stuff like drop a bomb, or wild barrel...until he goes back to the "reaching left for another barrel" animation...at which time you have to be ready for anything again.

6. 3rd death...this is where you have to know how to 'backjump' barrels...when you jump over the barrel, the same way the barrel is rolling. Practice backjumping over and over until you can do it as easy as regular jumps.  It gets you out of trouble quite often (backjumping).
It's also sometimes possible to do what I described above...jump so that you land directly behind the barrel...so jump early...and almost land right on the barrel...but right behind it...this gives you more time to jump again before another barrel rolls into you.

K, I think i may have been critiquing the wrong game, as I just saw your last death and it was missing the long jump, so it wasn't your high score game...but that's where the link took me.

Nonetheless there's a few good tips to work on above.

Oh, and I like that you have the techno song from King of Kong on your playlist.

Good luck!
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Leo

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 07:43:39 pm »
Nah that is awsome man, thanks

The link has 2 games in it sorry, 2nd game is the better one. I included some fail so there was more to criticise. :)

Thanks, that is an awsome breakdown.

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 11:24:32 pm »
Hi Leo mate im Allen staal welcome sir.. yer buddy . do you own a dk cab
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Leo

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 02:21:09 am »
Nah mate I play on a PC/MAME using this with usb input