Author Topic: brown spot on a recaped Donkey Kong monitor  (Read 2711 times)

czar_roland

brown spot on a recaped Donkey Kong monitor
« on: July 24, 2014, 07:24:30 am »
About four months ago I bought a donkey kong machine that needed some work. One of the problems with it is in badly need of a cap job. My friend and I did a full cap job and the results were beautiful. All that I needed to do was sand, vinyl wrap (if I could find dk blue), and apply side art.

However a new job opportunity arose and I moved 3 hours away. Even though I secured the cab there were bumps and such on the road, and when I arrived my fears were realized. My dk cab worked, but the amazing and vivid picture was tarnished by a brownish red spot. I'm learning about arcades as I go, so I have no idea what's wrong. See the picture for more details. I hope you guys and girls have good news.

mschwartz01

Re: brown spot on a recaped Donkey Kong monitor
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 08:48:30 am »
Looks like a magnetic issue... A degaussing should take care of it...

Is your degausse coil hooked up to the correct pins on the chassis?

czar_roland

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 08:51:08 am »
I'll have to look at a schematic. What method to you recommend degaussing? I think we have a degausser in our office. Sorry for stupid looking posts.I'm on my phone.

mschwartz01

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:00:02 am »
If the coil is hooked up properly, you should see this on the chassis:

If thats good, then you need to go the route of degaussing manually

Arcade Repair Tips - Using A Degaussing Coil

czar_roland

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:16:59 pm »
The cable was hooked up. After watching that video I can almost say for certain that it is a degaussing problem. Thanks for the help. I'll post my results Monday when i can grab that tool.

SunDevilDog

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:01:33 am »
That spot appears to me to be the kind that a degaussing tool will not readily fix. Try rotating the entire machine 45 degrees while it is on and see if that fixes it.

If the spot goes away when you rotate it, then you are just going to have to leave it in it's new position, or return it and wait. I have 4 Donkey Kong machines, and they are all sensitive to being rotated in one position or another. I will give you an example:

I had my DK Cabaret against the wall for 6 months, no problems, bright beautiful picture. I moved it across the room, to the other side, and I had a weird colorless, dull spot in the lower left quadrant. I tried degaussing, and it made it slightly better, but not 100%. I left it as is. After a few weeks of regular use, the spot went away.

czar_roland

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 06:12:38 am »
Thanks for all the replies! I borrowed a degaussing tool from work and that fixed the issue. Now for the sanding and rewraping it. The person before me did a poor job painting it.

mschwartz01

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:02:16 am »
Awesome! Glad the degaussing tool worked for you! I have rebuilt 4 DK's so far and I haven't run into this yet on a sanyo monitor... I have however become quite good at quickly removing the sanyo chassis from the tube in order to work on it!