Author Topic: Doubtless the dumbest, most shameful, noobiest question ever asked on DKF  (Read 9927 times)

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards

Em... here's what I need to know - how do you use the hammer?

No, not the merits of using the bottom hammer on a barrel board, or how to group barrels to get the most smashes, or how to maximise points on the pie factory by using the hammer... no, no...

I mean... how do you use the hammer... to smash stuff? 

<Pigger> - eediot
 <Tim> - punk
 <Allen> - wht da

I'm useless at the game but I find it really fun ( I have a 105,000 or thereabouts over at RU so I'm not completely useless)  but my problem is I keep getting killed by things - barrels especially - even when I've got the damn hammer.

FailFish

Do you need to stop moving to be 100% sure of smashing a barrel? How do you stop a fireball splatting you from above on the rivets when it comes down a ladder? And does pressing fire when you're hammered up do anything? It feels like it does, but I don't trust this game one f****** bit.

Any advice gratefully received  :-[

Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards

Em... here's what I need to know - how do you use the hammer?

No, not the merits of using the bottom hammer on a barrel board, or how to group barrels to get the most smashes, or how to maximise points on the pie factory by using the hammer... no, no...

I mean... how do you use the hammer... to smash stuff? 

<Pigger> - eediot
 <Tim> - punk
 <Allen> - wht da

I'm useless at the game but I find it really fun ( I have a 105,000 or thereabouts over at RU so I'm not completely useless)  but my problem is I keep getting killed by things - barrels especially - even when I've got the damn hammer.

FailFish

Do you need to stop moving to be 100% sure of smashing a barrel?
Yes, stop i second before you get to the barrel and you will be safe
How do you stop a fireball splatting you from above on the rivets when it comes down a ladder?
Not exactly sure what you mean but dont stand directly under the ladder.
And does pressing fire when you're hammered up do anything? It feels like it does, but I don't trust this game one f****** bit.

Any advice gratefully received  :-[
On barrel boards most people when coming to the end of a hammer and smashing a barrel just smash the jump button as a way to try to avoid dying if the hammer runs out before it smashes the barrel.

Hope his helps.
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
How do you stop a fireball splatting you from above on the rivets when it comes down a ladder?

I think I know what you are referring to. Just keep in mind that whenever you turn jumpman around he sticks the hammer straight up over his head so you can effectively knock out a barrel or fireball coming down on you by spinning him the other direction.
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
I'm not sure how that rumor got started, but I've seen it before and it isn't true. You can try this in MAME.

The hammer goes in a 16-frame cycle - 8 up and 8 down. Whatever position it's in when you turn around, it will still be in it when you finish turning.

Try it by doing Shift-P (frame advance) until you get the first hammer-down frame. Then hold down the opposite direction. You'll see Jumpman flip around and the hammer will still be down until the 8 frames are finished, then it goes up.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
No, I believe you, no need to test. Okay, I'll continue to do it because I "think" it works.  :)
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

hchien

Do you need to stop moving to be 100% sure of smashing a barrel?

Yes.  Putting together what was already said if you run while you have the hammer and the hammer is in the 8 frames that it is up, a barrel can roll "under" the hammer and hit you.  However, if you stop the barrel doesn't roll fast enough to get to you in those 8 frames.

As you've probably already noticed, fireballs descend ladders much faster than they ascend.  They descend much faster than Mario can climb down the ladder.  But they can only ascend about the same speed as Mario.  So when a fireball is above you, you need to stay far far away.  If a fireball is below you, you can stay near as long as your reaction time is fast enough.

And does pressing fire when you're hammered up do anything?

This does nothing except change the random # seed(s).  As Monstabonza said, people do this on the barrel boards in case the hammer runs out, you'll jump over the barrel.

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards

Thanks for all the advice gents, really appreciated.

I'm tickled to see that such a basic question about the game has two killscreen players in disagreement about what turning around with the hammer does!  ;D

So when a fireball is above you, you need to stay far far away. 

This is exactly the kind of no-nonsense information I need! Thanks, Hank, and everyone else. I feel like someone who's just gone up to the World Series baseball champions and asked them "Excuse me, gentlemen - but which way round do I hold this bat?"  :-[

Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
I'm tickled to see that such a basic question about the game has two killscreen players in disagreement about what turning around with the hammer does!  ;D

Nah, no disagreement here. I'm sure he is right about that as he has delved into the matter using mame and frame by frame analysis. What I do know is if you find yourself directly below a ladder with an object coming down on you, it's not a good idea to stand still and assume that the hammer will smash it. You will need to move or change direction in some way. Hank's advice is the best way to prevent the issue from even occuring in the first place though, so go with that. :)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Mark is right in the sense that horizontal movement is a really good habit to get into for objects that are coming down the ladders.

In fact, you can derive a general rule from it which is true in many situations: stay still when you want to smash something coming toward you horizontally (especially barrels and fireballs on the conveyor); move left/right when you want to smash something coming down from above.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener