Author Topic: DKCore Development Blog  (Read 19213 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: DKCore Development Blog
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 01:44:35 pm »
Hey, one thing to note (in case you either didn't know this already or forgot to add it) is that Jumpman being on the same x-axis as a ladder steers barrels as well. So, even if he is several levels below a ladder, if he is directly under it, it steers barrels as though he is sitting on it. It's hard to tell from the gifs if you've incorporated this element already, so I thought I'd mention it.

Also, I don't remember the details, but there is something special with the first barrel (or maybe it was a timer based thing that can affect all barrels until a certain amount of time) where the first barrel will always take the first ladders on each levels that it reaches. You'll have to ask around or look in some DK code threads to find out the precise way this works (maybe it is easy to find in the code).
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 01:52:33 pm »
Both points already implemented :)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 02:33:15 pm »
Both points already implemented :)

Oh, you!...
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 04:52:52 pm »
Also, I don't remember the details, but there is something special with the first barrel (or maybe it was a timer based thing that can affect all barrels until a certain amount of time) where the first barrel will always take the first ladders on each levels that it reaches. You'll have to ask around or look in some DK code threads to find out the precise way this works (maybe it is easy to find in the code).

Yeah, at the beginning of the stage each rolling barrel will always descend the first ladder it encounters, if the oil barrel has not yet been ignited.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 12:23:33 pm »
It has been a while since an update, but I've been very busy at work squashing bugs and adding new features to the engine.

The following things are all now working:
  • Timer - 100% Arcade Pure
  • Wild Barrels - Extremely close to arcade pure, but they're using their own physics system that I've developed. I'm experimenting with having more than three types of wild barrels with this physics system. These new wild types could have interesting behaviors, including the ability to bounce off of each other using this aforementioned physics system.
  • Starting Wilds - 100% Arcade Pure
  • Hammers - 100% Arcade Pure
  • Bomb Barrels - Very close to arcade pure. I still need to code in the bug that allows bombs to turn into wilds, but I'm not expecting difficulty here.
  • Kong Barrel Emissions - This is the logic that has Donkey Kong producing barrels to kill Jumpman. This includes determining if barrels should be blue, wild, bombs, or if there should be a pause. The arcade game uses an overcomplicated barrel seeding algorithm to do this. My algorithm works very differently, but the final output itself is so close to the arcade game I doubt anyone will realistically be able to tell the difference.

I am getting very close to being done with all barrel board logic. All that's left are the things I've mentioned and flame logic (which will be a monster to implement). After that I'll start moving on to the other boards. I've also been jotting down notes of options I'd like to implement into the proof-of-concept, such as:

• Built-in pace calculator
  • Different game modes, such as arcade/marathon/no-hammer/wild barrel, each with its own unique HSL
  • Track causes of death and show them on game end
  • Some sort of beginner and advanced tutorial system demonstrating game mechanics to newbies
  • Achievements

Since this is a web application (the screenshot above is actually running in Firefox), I can store a lot of these things into a SQL database...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:29:13 pm by WCopeland »

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 02:11:26 pm »
love it <Allen> well done sir!
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Drunkguy89

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 02:30:49 pm »
Not even Helen of Troy tried to understand flame logic  Kreygasm

good stuff Wes!

Roger

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 06:50:06 am »
i am looking for a DKCORE download link that have been working. Please someone can help me?

WCopeland

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 10:20:25 am »
i am looking for a DKCORE download link that have been working. Please someone can help me?
Sorry, this project is on hold indefinitely :(

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 10:56:02 am »
Sorry, this project is on hold indefinitely :(

what you mean
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Roger

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2015, 04:51:50 am »
but someone has a DK script level one for use in the Construct 2 ? I'm trying to create a game using only the engine of the first level of DK platform game with barrels, but it would be for use with own characters. Someone in the group would or could indicate a link or something to help me. thanks !!

Offline Bounty Bob

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 04:17:36 am »
Hi Wes. Looks like great work and I was interested in looking into the code, but the github link gives a 404 error. Any ideas?

*edit : Never mind, I read page two now and see you've put the project on hold, which is fair enough. Any plans to make the code available again?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:19:23 am by Bounty Bob »
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener