Author Topic: Mario Bros. High Score List!  (Read 116660 times)

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
Re: Mario Bros. High Score List!
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2014, 10:05:09 am »
Nice job Corey!  I got you updated on the board.  This is the thing about Mario Bros. as it has no kill screen and it's all about just staying alive to get a high score.  Your next goals are as follows...

7.    George Strain      1,702,730    MAME

8.    Mauro Ruozi        1,376,000    Arcade   

9.   Spencer Queren   1,202,210    Arcade

You were so close to Mr. Queren and Mr. Ruozi is just a tad over that so I can see you in 8th place real soon and then it gets harder.     <gasp>

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2014, 12:27:09 am »
New Mario Bros Arcade Pow score
Corey Chambers
Game ended on 12/26/14
http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00/c/5752786

Merry Christmas! :D

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2014, 05:29:27 am »
New Mario Bros Arcade Pow score
Corey Chambers
Game ended on 12/26/14
http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00/c/5752786

Merry Christmas! :D

Nice job!  Score is added.

Next goals...

6.    Benjamin Falls     1,728,110    MAME

7.    George Strain      1,702,730    MAME

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2014, 06:38:34 am »
Ben does have a 1.9M no pow game, so I will be aiming for 2M attempts.

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2014, 11:35:16 am »
Ben does have a 1.9M no pow game, so I will be aiming for 2M attempts.

Ok, I just correct that score for regular play as well. 

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2014, 04:01:56 pm »
great work as usual Corey, way to go DEEEEEEEEEP on your last man ( I watched it all as a lurker :D )  Keep it up  <YSG>
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2014, 06:00:54 pm »
Thanks Ethan and Stephen. That last man is what I needed. I have gone 900k+ on one man before and this game here I had two guys where I went at least 600k each, which is why the score was so high. So if I can average 500k per guy I should be able to get 2M soon. It would require not losing two guys so close together which I have been the habit of doing. Getting passed the mental blocks, fatigue, and frustration will be important for higher scores.

Offline sevenup1203

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2014, 07:14:09 pm »
Yea, it was a great game to watch.  Congrats again
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener Blogger

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2014, 05:17:45 am »
I played an arcade game last night and got 2.5M.  I know I can do a lot better as well but there are just a few factors that hurt me.  I lost my first life just under 500K and then just turned the game into a practice game.  My right leg kept falling asleep and I was half standing up and half sitting down while trying to correct that issue.    ::)

I've noticed that I pretty much MOSTLY only die when the red fireball messes with me or when the icicles block my pattern and all hell breaks lose.  And the game is programmed to do just such a thing.   :P  However, lots of people are playing the game now so maybe we will discover how to marathon the game and get past these things or come up with some full proof patterns. 

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2014, 11:39:50 am »
I think that having lots of patterns and experience with the game, not to mention the use of pow, will go a long way. I am working on a green fireball chart/video to show a lot of the tactics for avoiding it. Should be done today or tomorrow. Another thing that I tried which helped to increase my score is to force myself to play like a different person. I will watch 3 hours of their game play and then try to play out all their patterns to familiarize myself with a different take on the game for experience. And it worked great. That is also how I found that three group on the crab level which I can get several times a game, just need that last enemy to spawn from the correct side. I think that as this game gets more attention the scores will be pushed higher.

Mario Bros: Green Fireball Jump Positions
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:54:11 am by Donkey Kong Genius »

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2014, 12:20:36 am »
I think it would be great to track more variations/challenges for Mario Bros.

Absolute No POW = Can't touch the POW at all. During each bonus stage you must clear out the POW.

Bottom Challenge = You can use the POW but you can't progress or even touch the second tier.

I was playing the first a bit this evening. I actually enjoyed it. The Bottom Challenge was suggested by Perry.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2014, 02:09:50 am »

Absolute No POW = Can't touch the POW at all. During each bonus stage you must clear out the POW.

Bottom Challenge = You can use the POW but you can't progress or even touch the second tier.

I was playing the first a bit this evening. I actually enjoyed it. The Bottom Challenge was suggested by Perry.

Those actually do sound like really fun versions! I'll have to try them next time I play this game.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2014, 04:32:21 am »

We talked about no POW and all and thought Ultimate NO POW would be a good name for it.  Kill it off during the bonus stage each time and go from there.  Add it for doubles as well.  One reason I never added more variations back in the day was not to many people were into this game and I thought I might water down the game if I added to many.  I'm thinking that just adding the different difficulties would be cool along with doubles for each.  Really, this is all community based anymore so vote on it and throw it by Jace after we compile a list of the most wanted variations.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:53:35 am by ripper »
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2014, 06:01:57 pm »
There is something about the Ultimate no POW that I really like. Those who are accustomed to using the top of the POW to clear the first few enemies would be forced to play it out on top. Unlike no POW variation, there is no POW to stand on which has proven to be a great place to camp when red fireballs are not threatening that area. Besides, the variation itself actually occurs during normal POW games when the player has used up the POW and they have not yet cleared the 6th board. At least on a few occasions I found myself having to clear the last 3 boards with no POW there at all. The Ultimate no POW is great practice for these situations, so I say, might as turn that practice into a real variation, so that we can put up scores while we practice it.

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2014, 10:12:28 pm »
Another variation would be to set a "killscreen" at phase 98, so once it is completed then whatever score one has at that point would go towards that variation. Of course one should play it out for another variation score but this would force max point potential on all the boards, and some leaching allowed, though Mario Bros get too crazy to stay on one board.