Author Topic: Wild Barrel Hack Strategy  (Read 17363 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Wild Barrel Hack Strategy
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:26:14 am »
Hey guys, I'm gonna be slowly posting some pictures here that I made that will hopefully help you you through Jeff's hack. I'll write little paragraphs for each picture as I put them up -since I'm doing all of this, right now, as I post. I ran into some issues with the size of my attachments earlier, but hopefully I don't have too much trouble this time. Sorry I don't have it all written up and neat from the get-go...eventually I wanna make some sort of mini-manual pamphlet-type thing for the barrel boards on this hack. Cheers!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Wild Barrel Hack Strategy
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 08:39:55 am »
Ugh, all my files are a bit to big. Give me some time to make them smaller!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 08:50:14 am »
For some reason the allowed attachment size went from 194kb to 124kb since last time I tried. Was it something I did?

Fast Eddie

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 08:54:36 am »
i had this prob yesterday i just uploaded em to a free hosting site, seemed easier than shrinking em...

8)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:00:28 am »
Ok, I'll do that.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 09:03:36 am »
Is this a default option on the forum software that Jeff can edit to allow bigger attachments?
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 09:22:46 am »
Not sure, but I put them on photo bucket. Here is the link (I believe):

http://s1294.beta.photobucket.com/user/mitchell_elliott13/library/DK%20Wild%20Barrel%20Hack%20Tutorial

I have them titled by number, so I'll start posting my comments for each photo here. :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:24:48 am by marinomitch13 »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 10:01:03 am »
I'll keep this relatively simple for now (no need to write everything I could say). If you have more in-depth questions, just ask, and I'll go into more detail for you.

Picture 1: The goal here is to get to the bottom right corner. Getting to this corner allows you to steer barrels off the screen. You may have to jump a barrel to get to this corner, but be mindful that it's almost always the 2nd barrel that you need to be worried about. It'll take some practice, but you'll need to learn how to coordinate jumping the first barrel with either a standing or front jump as to not put yourself into a unsurvivable situation with the next barrel. Many times, simply getting ahead of the first barrel and placing yourself just to the right of it as it hits the end of the 2nd girder will send it off the screen. Once in the 'safe' zone, keep in the back of your mind that barrels can still land directly above you on the end of the 3rd girder and head for you!

Picture 2: Simply wait in the safe zone until DK throws a barrel straight down rather than at you, then go for the ladder and climb up. Try to stay as little to the right of the barrels you are steering as you can, that way you are just that little bit closer to the ladder when your opportunity comes.

Picture 3: There are many ways you can get to the 3rd girder, but this is just the one I prefer. I don't like using the short ladder, cuz in the hack DK can throw some mean 'bomb-like' and also very zig-zagy type wild barrels on the left side of the screen. I'd rather not have to traverse that area of the screen. For this method, simply steer barrels above you as they are hitting the 4th girder. Immediately attempt to climb the ladder afterwards. Many times the next barrel can cause you to have to retreat do to it's randomness. If it does, simply retreat and patiently try again. If the fireball climbs up, you may need to grab the hammer and smash it and simply delay your climbing till later. You'll need to become a master at avoiding successive wild barrels while on one girder in order to feel comfortable not rushing, but doing this allows you the best chance of survival.

Picture 4: This is much like picture 3, but in with an extra part. However, realize that wild barrels are able to go right quicker than they can go left, so incorporate this into the situations where you may have to retreat. The biggest struggle in this section is being able to make the trip to the area highlighted to the right of the middle ladder (again, I don't take the short ladder, as in this case it is just way too difficult to have to get past the sidewinders that go all the way right -and twice, at that! You'll have to incorporate some jumping over wild barrels that are in-the-air-and-coming-back-at-you to allow yourself to time to make it to this rightmost area. However, this is necessary, since it affords you the best chance to climb the ladder with the most control over the wild barrels (safety, that is). Once you get to the right area, do the same thing you did before in picture 3, but realize that you have less time to react to the second barrel in this area than you did before, since you are up closer to DK. Sometimes the 2nd barrel will cause you to even retreat back to the left area, and you may have to do the entire process over again. I find this to be the hardest part of the entire screen.

Pictures 5 and 6: Once you climb the ladder, simply steer the barrels to the right before making your way left. Most the time the barrels will go way over your head to the right, but every so often the barrel will bounce and do what I call a 'knuckleball' and will slowly head right for you. In this situation you need to jump to the right and then reposition yourself. This takes fast reaction, but it only happens a very small minority of the time. Once you start running left, you may need to jump to keep the next barrel from hitting you from behind in the heels. Position yourself just to the right of the left ladder, in the path of where 'bombs' would normally be thrown. For the most part, this is a safe zone, but pay attention, cuz every so often some barrels can still hit you from the right. If you move a little bit too far to the left, the barrels will start bouncing to the left, and you don't want that.

Pictures 7 and 7.5: These pictures highlight the two main types of wild barrels DK will throw when you try to climb the left ladder (p.s. I'll probably die in both the pictures, but that was cuz I needed to take a screenshot at the same time, so just understand my placement is a little off in both). Wait in the 'safe' zone until the moment a wild barrel bounces out of DK's hands and to the right, then quickly attempt to climb the ladder. For picture 7, DK has thrown a barrel that pretty much comes right at Jumpman, in this situation you must retreat! Retreat back to the safe zone and try again. For picture 7.5 DK has thrown a wide-left wild barrel (this is the picture I am really out of position on). In this case, you can continue climbing, but you must immediately jump to the right once you get to the top of the ladder (if the barrel is still gonna hit the 5th girder -sometimes they go so far left initially that you don't have to worry about it) to keep the barrel from nipping you in the toes. Place yourself just to the right of where 'bombs would come out; this is almost 100% a safe spot (there may be a few pixels width which actually are 100% safe).

Pictures 8 and 8.5: Wait in the top 'safe' zone until DK throws a barrel as far right as he can and then run and follow it as closely as you can. Some barrels bounce more to the right more than others, so you'll need to train your eye to see which are which as closely as you can to their initial bounce (kinda like level 4+ springs!). Make sure to jump if you need to to avoid getting hit from behind by the following barrel. Picture 8.5 is merely demonstrating how far the farthest barrel can basically reach, and why you may need to jump.

I hope this helps! Cheers!

Again, feel free to ask me questions!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:15:31 am by marinomitch13 »

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 11:03:29 am »
Mitch , once you have the pics uploaded offsite , you can hotlink them into the post as I've done above. Just use the [img]  tags. There's also an "InsertImage" button that will apply the tags for you. You just paste the picture link in between them. If you go into edit mode on the post above, you'll see how I did it.

For multiple images in a post, I generally prefer to use offsite hosted images this way because then you can put them full-size anywhere in the post you want them. If you make them attachments, they all appear at the end of the post as thumbnails.

To reduce file size,  crop them down to just whats relevant and save them as .jpg rather than .png.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 07:11:56 am »
Jeff, this is awesome. Thanks a bunch for doing that for me...now it looks way better and is much easier to follow!

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 07:31:20 am »
Wow, very cool analysis Mitch!  This is basically how I do the barrel boards on the wild barrel hack.  My simple strategy is to try to make sure that the wile barrels are always to my left on the girder above me...so that they bounce right.  Easier said than done though.  And the tricky parts are definitely climbing ladders.

When I first got the hack and tried it out, I was like, this is impossible.  But after trying over and over, you realize there is a strategy to follow that will improve your survivability.

Great analysis!
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 08:06:40 pm »
With this help, I expect someone to beat my pb of 92,300 and become the first person to get 100K+ on the hack. I will not be playing any MAME until I upgrade my computer (it lags too much...any lag is too much for the WBH!), so the 100k+ is open to whoever wants it for now! The only thing I didn't discuss here is that on level 3+ the first thrown barrel is the typical wide first barrel. This adds another barrel into the mix of getting to the bottom right corner. I still haven't perfected any method for consistently surviving this added difficulty. I may simply just need to greatly increase in skill and awareness. If anyone can crack this with a good method let me know! Eventually (after my comp upgrade), I will definitely save state this part over and over.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 01:58:25 am »
The strangest thing I think I've ever seen in DK just happened to me while playing the WBH: 2 fireballs merged into one shortly after all 5 fireballs spawned on 1-2 and then proceeded to stay together for probably about 20 seconds before I smashed them and they respawned separately and stayed apart. I'm talking, perfectly overlapped. For 20 seconds. I literally couldn't tell there were 2 fireballs there. They also climbed 2 ladders and bounced around 3 different levels and still didn't split apart. Has anyone else ever seen this for such a long time? I think the closest thing I've seen before this is maybe two fireballs partially overlapped and following each other for maybe 5-8 seconds.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 03:18:41 am »
Yes sir!

This first happened to me about a year and a half ago. In my case, on the conveyors.

Luckily, it just happened to be from a savestate, and I still have the savestate, so I can still load it up  and tinker with it.

And they don't just stay together for 20 seconds, they stay fused, the whole time.

This came up a couple of months ago in a chat. Mark has seen it too.

I think it has to do with two fireballs spawning on an identical frame. They're "predestined" to both do the same thing because they're in exact sync with the random number cycler.

Maybe I'll stream this and highlight it.

By the way: now that you know that this is a thing, you're going to start seeing it more. Well, not "seeing" it, but noticing it.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 04:33:18 am »
Ah, that would make sense. However, I could've sworn that I saw these two fireballs spawn each on their own (albeit, on the same side of the same platform -the right side of the platform on the level with the lower hammer) and then one caught up with the other near the right rivet on that same platform and then they stayed fused until I smashed them. Is it possible that the right randomness can cause them to 'eventually have the same fate'? Like the randomness of the two are just right that it ends up, by cause and effect, making them end up on the same frequency/wave of randomness. Man, it was really weird! It reminded me of all the grouping that happens in Burgertime.