Author Topic: What If?  (Read 6183 times)

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
What If?
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:42:58 pm »
This question makes the overwhelming assumption that the programmers would have been able to develop the modern theories behind point-pressing techniques.  Also, realize that only a small fraction of theory is conveyed visually.  It seems like a fairly open-ended question that is entirely skeptical in nature; worth pondering, at least briefly.

Secondly, who?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:05:01 am by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: What If?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:54:03 pm »
I don't think it would have happened right away, at least in terms of how long it takes to learn that kind of skill. Would players have taken that route before knowing there was a killscreen? Probably not. So, give it a year or so for the killscreen to become common knowledge and then for players to consider that the attract mode was actually conveying a useful method.

Surely there were KS-capable players other than Billy in that era, meaning they had solved the springs and could survive the pies and rivets. How many would be able to correctly analyze this theoretical attact mode? It makes me wonder how long it took Billy to really get a million once he started working on it. My guess is that he started after Sczerby got the record, and then got serious about it once Wiebe showed up. So it might have taken him a couple of years to figure it out.

So, I voted '83-'85. It still probably would have been Billy.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 04:01:43 pm »
When was the Life Magazine shoot again? If Billy got a KS then, he could have probably gotten 1m+ in the same year if he really wanted to.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 07:19:56 pm »
It took Jeff Willms only a few months to reach 1.1M.  Of course you'd also need to know how to pass the other boards.  I'd say 1-2 years.

Btw, no one has ever finished a game averaging 13K per barrel.  So given what we know now, a 13K barrel board involves some luck.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 07:26:25 pm »
Save states didn't exist back then, so the Willms factor should be disregarded IMO.  I still think Billy would have been the first to get it done.  I think it'd take about 2-3 years to develop the techniques for the "accessory boards" and to learn the idio-syncracies and nuances of in-game RNG- based situations; this learning essentially only comes from repetition.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:29:53 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 07:41:40 pm »
Yeah I agree, save states do help a lot.

Another interesting question would be if the internet existed in '81 how long would it take someone to get 1M and would it have been Billy?  Many people here have reached 1M in under a year (of course this is with MAME and a higher "starting point" of knowledge).  I'd like to think a Jeff Willms ver. 1.9.8.1 is somewhere out there.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 08:25:18 pm »
I agree with Mitch's assessment.

When Billy discovered the kill screen on his 874K game, which was mostly (or entirely) a top-hammer run, he would have known that he could get at least 100K more by simply getting all of the bottom hammers, never mind the fancy stuff he would have seen on this attract screen. The fact that Billy didn't go higher is probably because he already had the record (so why push it until someone beat him?) and there was too much going on in the arcade scene at the time to bother putting such inordinate focus on DK.

http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 02:28:48 pm »
I still think the killscreen is what drives point pressing. Given the goal is to get to the top of the board. Pac Man, for example, was to just to finish the board, but after someone got to the 9th key and no more blue ghost, then they can start thinking, what if I get all the blue ghosts (or maximize them) before the 9th key. That is why that Calvin Framptom theory didn't make sense of him pushing the score to 1.2M without even knowing the killscreen existed. *cracks open can of worms*

Think about how much trouble people were having just running the boards and still couldn't get killscreens back in the day, much less executing a 13K barrel board.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 03:28:43 pm »
I can't believe you just used the Frampton reference.  The next thing we'll be talking about is moods. :)
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 04:51:30 pm »
The decision whether to point-press is partially based on the fact that there is a killscreen.  But there is also some risk-reward analysis that plays into it. 

For example if there is a 100% safe way of point pressing (leeching DK on the rivet screen), people may still point press with or without a killscreen.  On the other hand, without a killscreen, it makes no sense to point press a barrel board.  (The following #'s are just estimates for the sake of argument.)  If I just run a barrel board, I have about a 99% chance of surviving and get about 8500 points.  If I point press at 12,500 per barrel board, I have about a 95% chance of surviving.  Now that's a 400%/5-fold increase in risk (1% vs 5% chance of dying) with only about 50% increase in points per board.  Meaning I could clear 5x's as many barrel boards without point pressing and only suffer a 33% reduction in per board score.  Makes no sense at all.  Of course the other boards play into the decision making, but I'll leave that discussion for another time.

Now I don't know the risk involved in DK Jr. point pressing as well.  I'd imagine it's similar.  There are certain tactics (jumping sparks) that are nearly 100% risk free while point pressing other boards may make no sense given the risk/reward ratio.   I could see someone jumping sparks without knowledge of the killscreen.  But it probably wouldn't make sense to point press a chain/key board unless you knew there was a killscreen.

I'm going to stay out of the Calvin Frampton argument, because what people do doesn't always 'make sense.'  So you could make an argument that he was point pressing just for fun even though it was illogical points-wise.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 05:56:07 pm »
Quote from: Hank's signature line
World Record for most insults to Vincent and fewest games of DK3 played-- 3.

Hey Hank,

Just noticed the updated signature.  Nice change of pace, but not entirely accurate.

I've played exactly zero games of DK3.  By my calculations, that places me firmly at the top of the worldwide rankings, tied with more than 7 billion others.   ;)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 07:59:08 am »
I've played exactly zero games of DK3.

Screenshot or it didn't happen.

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 08:25:38 am »
What a coincidence! I also changed my signature.

Screenshot or it didn't happen.

I demand a screenshot of your screenshot or it didn't happen.

If I just run a barrel board, I have about a 99% chance of surviving and get about 8500 points.  If I point press at 12,500 per barrel board, I have about a 95% chance of surviving.  Now that's a 400%/5-fold increase in risk (1% vs 5% chance of dying) with only about 50% increase in points per board.  Meaning I could clear 5x's as many barrel boards without point pressing and only suffer a 33% reduction in per board score.  Makes no sense at all.  Of course the other boards play into the decision making, but I'll leave that discussion for another time.

1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 08:44:22 am »

I posted this a few months back, I may have played one more since then.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 10:57:37 am »
I demand a screenshot of your screenshot or it didn't happen.