Author Topic: 4:3 vs 9:6  (Read 21858 times)

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: 4:3 vs 9:6
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 04:11:57 am »

Hi John,

Sounds like you might be experiencing the same problem as Phil.  During his last few weeks of streaming DK, he was also seeing some bizarre results.

Are you running Pauline as you're playing, or while playing back a previously recorded INP?  If during playback, do you have any other windows open?  I've found that Pauline will fail to respond whenever MAME is not the active window.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline John73

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 04:48:02 am »
No I was only running as I was playing.  But I did have other windows open, though they were minimized.

I should add that I have recently purchased two new monitors, and am running in extended desktop mode - however I do have both Mame and Pauline running on the one desktop, not that I think that that would make a difference anyway.

It's odd that you should have troubles during playback when MAME is not the active window either.  I'll admit I don't know the inner workings of Pauline, but there is a Windows API call that is probably used to work out which Window should be looked at - whether that window has the focus (is the current active Window) should be neither here nor there.   I did see from the Readme files included with Pauline that it makes use of an open source OCR - so obviously if you put another window over the top of the game score it will cause problems.

I've been considering writing a very basic pace program to work with Android based mobile devices, and may yet still do it.  Which has got me thinking about the whole "pace calculation" issue, but I think these ideas would be better discussed in another thread.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 04:49:33 am by John73 »
DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 08:54:15 am »
Using two monitors will effect how you PC performs. It can cause lag in your programs because of the extra use of the video card. Are you pausing your game at all? If you pause your game this will mess with Pauline's attempt to determine if a new screen has changed. If you are doing this I would recommend that you always record your inp, but I suspect that you do this already and that this is not the issue.

Offline John73

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 07:32:50 pm »
Using two monitors will effect how you PC performs. It can cause lag in your programs because of the extra use of the video card. Are you pausing your game at all? If you pause your game this will mess with Pauline's attempt to determine if a new screen has changed. If you are doing this I would recommend that you always record your inp, but I suspect that you do this already and that this is not the issue.

I had previously used 2 24" Viewsonic LCD monitors without issue with Pauline, they both died and I recently replaced them with 2 21.5" Benq LED monitors.  The issue happens regardless of recording a game or not, obviously while recording with Wolf I'm not pausing.
DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Ohrami

• games video
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 12:31:31 pm »
hello necro

Turns out the correct aspect ratio to use in WolfMAME v0.106 is 32:21 if you have "Stretch using hardware" checked because 4:3 for some reason gives you a 1:1 window, so if you do the math then 32:21 translates into 8:7 and the window will be 224x256 when you first open the game.
Donkey Kong high score: 863,200 L=22-1 (MAME)
twitch.tv/donkyousu
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener