General Donkey Kong Discussion > General Donkey Kong Discussion

I came up with a Donkey Kong hack idea

(1/3) > >>

homerwannabee:
Why not have a hack that removes the graphics of Mario and his enemies and put a black box where the hit box exactly is?
So, instead of jumping over barrels and Firefoxes, you jump over hit boxes?

In fact, you can have black box hit boxes for all video games.  It doesn't need to stop at Donkey Kong  8)

Sock Master:
Ethan/f_symmbols suggested exactly this a few years ago and it's been percolating in my head as a possible thing I could do ever since then.

It would certainly be neat, interesting and useful for such a thing to exist.

Technically speaking, it would be more complicated than a simple graphics swap because the sizes/shapes of some of the hitbox ranges wouldn't necessarily be constant or fit inside the tiles of the character/sprite data - so it would require some... calculated reprogramming but it would certainly be something that is possible to do.

PaulGoes:
Two years ago I started a romhack like that, but never continued. Mainly because I wasn't absolutely sure that I got the hitboxes right. But when you play it, it seems they are right.

I did simple adjustments of the sprites to display the hitboxes. I do not remember hitboxes that were bigger than the sprite boundaries, but I might be mistaken. And, sock master, maybe you can explain what you mean by hitbox ranges not being constant.

I created two prototype versions. The first one only displays the hitboxes. The other one displays the hitboxes and the outline of the original sprite. I will provide both versions in the next messages.

[The top displays DUEL, because I took a template versioon of that romhack as basis for this one]

PaulGoes:
The version with the hitboxes only.

PaulGoes:
The version with the hitboxes and the sprite outline.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version