Poll

Should Pauline scores count for the Main HSL?

Yes
7 (21.9%)
No
25 (78.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Should Pauline scores count for the Main HSL?  (Read 9590 times)

Offline 80sArcadeKid

• Awards
Re: Should Pauline scores count for the Main HSL?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2021, 04:57:03 pm »
I fully suspect that Pauline is the exact same difficulty as regular DK.  I'm guessing that the inp de-synced because of a different stream of random numbers being used, but I'm not aware of anything that would make them less random in a way that would affect difficulty.  I think the game play experience would be the same.

I actually totally agree with this. The gameplay experience seems to be the same in terms of difficulty, mechanics and behaviour. It's a shame the divergence de-rails this.
By the Way - If you play back a dkong .inp in Pauline it divergess at the same point.
Member for 3 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline 80sArcadeKid

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2021, 05:04:31 pm »
For the record, I had no idea that there was any difference (other than the images) between Pauline and DK. I'm having a beautiful Pauline cab made up and was testing out the roms for the first time. If Pauline is easier, harder or different to DK in terms of game play, then it really doesn't help my game play and practice. I never, ever wanted to cause or be involved in any kind of controversy or sides on anything that could have any kind of bad impact on an amazing community that I have enjoyed being part of and still enjoy being part of. For the record, I withdraw my submission for my new PB, and will do my best to get it or a better one again on my DK cab.  ;)

Kind regards,
Tanya.

That's why we love you! :)
I do think a Pauline leaderboard would be worthwhile, I'd love to see one and I'm sure anyone who want's to play as Pauline instead of Jumpman would as well.
I don't think it's a controversy (although I know I used that term in a message to Adam) - sorry I didn't mean it negatively.
I do love these kind of puzzles. Unfortunetly I'm not technical enough to understand what's going on with the whole .inp thing.
Member for 3 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2021, 07:59:07 pm »
I am but an ignorant man. But if someone performs on a PCB using a Pauline rom set it should be carried on the main HS list with an asterisk.
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Rev John

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2021, 02:18:02 am »
I have another piece of puzzle to add.  I can't figure out what may be different after the level 2 cut-scene, but I note that apart from sprite changes there is the "PAULINE EDITION" message and a different copyright message under.

So I waited until it says "PAULINE EDITION" before starting a game then played through to level 3.  It de-synced with the dkong rom on the first barrel screen for a total of 300 points.  My harebrained (and probably wrong) idea before was that the stream of random numbers used depends in part on the number of instructions parsed by the z80 chip's processor.  So I theorise that the mere different text alters the stream of random numbers.  Again I reckon it's just a different set of equally random numbers causing the inps to de-sync.  I can't imagine any real difference in gameplay.  Same % chances to steer barrels, same 25% to get 800 on a blue barrel etc

I have changed my original No vote to a Yes.

If Pauline scores are decided to be accepted on the main DKF leaderboard then I hereby promise to wear full Pauline outfit for the next Aussie Kong Off.
DK PB: 219,500 (MAME 7/10/19)
CK (RU): 140,200 (27/3/2018)
First person to score 500,000+ points on Atari 2600 Berzerk
Member for 6 Years

Offline Rev John

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2021, 05:09:54 am »
Here is the story of how Clay Cowgill created the Pauline rom: http://www.multigame.com/dkp_arcade.html

There is some additional code for the rivets cutscene - to make sure Mario is facing the right way when he is rescued by Pauline.  It seems this additional code is enough to cause the de-sync after the first rivets level.  There are no changes mentioned in the above link that would make Pauline easier or harder then regular dkong, it's all about graphics changes.

I would suggest the de-syncs are caused by the changes leading to a different stream of 'random' numbers.  It's like if Pauline shuffled the deck in a slightly different way, but your odds of getting a hand of 4 queens would still be the same.
DK PB: 219,500 (MAME 7/10/19)
CK (RU): 140,200 (27/3/2018)
First person to score 500,000+ points on Atari 2600 Berzerk
Member for 6 Years

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2021, 10:48:36 pm »
So, I think the general consensus is to keep Pauline scores separate. I will put some thought in to making a Pauline HSL, but don't hold your breath. Tanya has withdrawn her submission. I know she wasn't trying to cause trouble and I appreciate her being a good sport about the whole thing.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Evan04

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2021, 09:22:34 am »
So, I think the general consensus is to keep Pauline scores separate. I will put some thought in to making a Pauline HSL, but don't hold your breath. Tanya has withdrawn her submission. I know she wasn't trying to cause trouble and I appreciate her being a good sport about the whole thing.
A Pauline HSL sounds like a good idea :)
Member for 3 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2021, 07:51:51 pm »
Agree there are pauline cabs that are out there a HSL for it would not be a bad idea.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2021, 11:43:37 pm »
Come of it Donkey kong is donkey kong Pauleen the charator is the same as Mairo. shes in the game .wake up everyone. just play the game.. John make a Ren and Stimp dk lit . <Allen> <Allen> <Allen> <Allen> <Allen> <Allen> <Billy> <Billy> <Billy> <Billy>
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2021, 01:45:33 am »
Come of it Donkey kong is donkey kong Pauleen the charator is the same as Mairo. shes in the game .wake up everyone. just play the game.. John make a Ren and Stimp dk lit . <Allen> <Allen> <Allen> <Allen> <Allen> <Allen> <Billy> <Billy> <Billy> <Billy>

haven't you got a protest to attend
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2021, 03:18:59 pm »

haven't you got a protest to attend

Too many lols
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2021, 12:02:12 pm »
Barra Pls  <Billy> <Billy> <Billy> <Billy>
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer