Author Topic: A review of the Gobblet tourney Kongrats to all the money winners  (Read 10477 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Well basically EVERYONE was a money winner who submitted a score.  Yep, that's all you needed to do.   8)

Now thoughts on the tourney.  Although I didn't get the 30 people who submitted scores like I wanted, I was over the moon happy with the new super high scores.   Jason V getting 569,900 is simply  Kreygasm   Barra getting a new all time high at an incredible 797,100 is  Kreygasm  George Strain getting over 500k is  Kreygasm  And Wags missing out on 500k is  :( , but him topping Richard's former record score of 473k with 491,100 is  Kreygasm   
GillKong, getting 318,100 is still hecka cool!  BibleThump
Chrispy, Dknetter, and world Galaga champ JDGalaga getting over 200k is  BibleThump
Everyone else submitting a score is  BibleThump

As for those who registered, but didn't enter a score.  Sorry, no soup for you.  You actually have to submit a score to get some money.

Glad people enjoyed the tournament.  Next time around I'm thinking about a couple of changes to make it an even better tournament.  Kongrats to all who participated!

So now for the prize money.

1. Barra $30
2. JasonV91 $29
3. George strain $28
4. Steve Wagner $27
5. gillkong $26
6. Chrispy $25
7. Dknetter $24
8. jdgalaga $23
9. Shatty $22
10. DaLar $21
11. Creech $20
12. Scoundrl $19
13. FootofGod $18
14. nwnike $17
15. Synappz $16
16. xelnia $15
17. MitchMitchell $14
18. Evan04 $13
19. bensweeneyonbass $12
20. pickachublast10 $11

So please message me your email address so that I can PayPal you the winnings right away.  If you don't have a PayPal account, please message me your address so I can send you a money order.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline rayfinkel

• Awards
Re: A review of the Gobblet tourney Kongrats to all the money winners
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 11:59:38 am »
awesome stuff, guys! cool tourney, george! :)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 12:24:29 pm »
Fun tourney thanks George.  Learned a lot about the game using these settings.  Congrats to all.

Cheers.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 01:13:18 pm »
A fun tournament - it coincided well for me just having just done the 1M on easy. Thanks for running it! It's both a fun and frustrating game imo, but I really like that there's not a focus on any repetitive point pressing.
Member for 4 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 02:46:58 pm »
Congrats everyone! I'll go through all the scores soon and put them on the DK3 HSL (IF THEY QUALIFY  <stirpot>).
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 04:39:34 pm »
So I joked in chat that I though it'd be funny if my 7yo beat Xelnia in the tournament, as at the time Jeremy had posted the lowest score and didn't look to be submitting anything further. Anyway, Jeremy turned around and donated his winnings to my son. Grayden was already super excited about the $11, so the added $15 definitely made his week!

It's a DK3 tournament picture. A little tough to read, but it says "Thank you Jeremy/Xel-nia" - he ran out of room on that line :) Thanks man, very nice of you!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:42:11 pm by dknetter »
Member for 4 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 04:51:54 pm »

Well done George on the tourney, literally putting your money where your big mouth is  :)

Hats off to all the winners, and well done young Grayden
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 04:55:38 pm »
It's a DK3 tournament picture. A little tough to read, but it says "Thank you Jeremy/Xel-nia" - he ran out of room on that line :) Thanks man, very nice of you!

Kreygasm
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 06:02:18 pm »
I didn't go into a mad grind for this tourney, but I did play at least a fair amount and was surprised how hard it was to crack even 300K. Almost did it many times, but couldn't quite put it together. I felt that a breakthrough was coming very, very soon, but time ran out, so 280K it is.

This tourney exposed just how many holes there are in my bugfighting tactics! On all previous DK3 play on marathon settings, I have been grossly reliant on the "underachiever strat" (drop the superspray on the greenhouse, grab on the blue board and blast through, play the gray board until dying/spawning the next superspray, drop the superspray on the greenhouse... etc.)

The fact of the matter is <Billy>, the underachiever strat essentially removes the blue boards from the game entirely, while making the gray boards easier because you can die. Dying resets Kong and the worms to their start positions, thus making any remaining bugs much easier to clean up than they would be if you had to do it all on the same life, which leads to hardship late in the board with Kong dangling and worms in the way everywhere. With extras every 30K, you can slack off and die all over the place and still get 1M+.

5-man, you can't do that. It made me realize that I never really learned the tactics necessary to be able to consistently complete a full blue or grey board without a death. So I was like, "wow, I actually kind of suck" and worked on my tactics. Then I tried a default-settings run a couple days ago and was shredding it, so RBS soon? I dunno, wait and see.

Tourney also reminded me that DK3 is pretty good! The game has great controls/physics. It's as frustrating as any other game, but it's a blast to play just because of how well put-together it is. For all CAGs in the "gallery shooter" genre, it belongs in the top 5, and it's certainly the best shooter Nintendo ever did.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 07:47:41 pm »
Thanks George it was slot of fun. First I've ever done 5 man. I'll do better next time.
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 12:38:08 am »
Awesome tournament, thanks for putting it on George! We definitely need more DK3 tournaments, not just once every 4 years :)

Personally, while I'm happy with a PB, I felt really, really close to a big breakthrough game. It did pump me mentally though, I was done playing even before I had to go away for the weekend. It's been a big year gaming-wise and I think I need a few months break from all CAG before seriously coming back to this one.

Looks like two mates have claimed the beat Dwayne bounty. I'll make contact regarding payment.

Also is 2021 shaping up to be the year of the RBS?! Gstrain, JV and skycruiser primed for D3 RBS! and Wags, ChrisP, and gillayy on D1 (maybe D3 too or whatever!). Riley can go for the D4 RBS  <gasp>
Get themmmMMMMMMM
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 06:22:12 am »
Good Tournament George. I wish I had played more! I do plan to play more DK3, not pulling the boardset until I can make 300k.

I appreciate you paying out to 30 places, very cool. That said, I'd like to add $100 tp my winnings and donate it to a gamer in need this year. Does anyone know anyone in our community that could really use a hand this holiday season?

-Ken
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 07:18:29 am »
Good Tournament George. I wish I had played more! I do plan to play more DK3, not pulling the boardset until I can make 300k.

I appreciate you paying out to 30 places, very cool. That said, I'd like to add $100 tp my winnings and donate it to a gamer in need this year. Does anyone know anyone in our community that could really use a hand this holiday season?

-Ken

Well, not exactly a gamer, but a gamer's (Carrie Sidecki) sister has a go fund me after being put in the hospital  for 18 days because of Covid 19.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-amy-swidecki-with-her-bills?sharetype=teams&member=7241996&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=p_na%20share-sheet&pc_code=fb_co_dashboard_a&rcid=af092c1504f94f8284969ff49cc3b469&fbclid=IwAR2Rj1T-fLzBDsTXu6MsfvfgW8uM1ML2qVW65gsgYfuHtg0MBi8RLiZb1js

"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 09:52:06 pm »
Gobblet scores have been added to the DK3 HSL (minus shatty [vanilla MAME] and Mitch [MAME video, no INP]). Congrats everyone!

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 09:05:42 am »
"...

This is Excellent.  Well deserved on all fronts :)  <stirpot> <Allen>
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer