Author Topic: Twin Galaxies Response and Anti-Slap Documentation!!...  (Read 12986 times)

Offline ersatz_cats

• Awards
Re: Twin Galaxies Response and Anti-Slap Documentation!!...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 02:04:04 am »
It's taking some time to go through everything, and I intend to focus most of my replies on the TG thread, but I thought this was worth seeing.  Walter Day's letter to Guinness (part of the Sept. 2019 evidence packet) was copied into his latest submission - you know, the one where he pledges that Billy made it clear the 1.047m was for "entertainment purposes only" and that Billy only submits scores done at live events.  BUT.... this time, Walter Day ADDED a footnote!  (Props to Evener/Colecomeister for pointing this out.)

Man, they just want to have it both ways, don't they?  "He didn't submit it, but he did, but he really didn't, but he still kiiiinda did, except not."

One wonders, if Billy wanted that score to count so badly, why didn't he just take a weekend, go somewhere with a lot of actual gaming witnesses and actual cameras like E3 or PAX, and just smash out a score on his first or second try?  Like he always said, his real PB was much higher.  And the insane pace charts on those totally-real tapes prove he could do it.  /s

Also, if Billy never sent Mruczek the tape, WHERE THE HELL DID HE GET IT FROM!?!?!?!?  Did he conjure it out of thin freakin' air!?  (Oh, that's right.  Dwayne and his time machine can do anything.)
Member for 6 Years

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 04:56:12 am »
Man, they just want to have it both ways, don't they?  "He didn't submit it, but he did, but he really didn't, but he still kiiiinda did, except not."

From Joshuah Bearman's Harper's Magazine article on Billy:

"Billy, who is receiving up-to-the-minute reports of the proceedings from friends, immediately asks Walter to update the Twin Galaxies website with the new score. This bypasses the normal verification process?Wiebe should be enjoying several months of championship status while Billy?s record is being verified"

What the footage in KoK showed:

After the showing of the end of the 1.047M tape, we see a shot of Billy on a couch with a cellphone:

Billy: I don't know...I suppose walter's got to get in that office to that computer now, doesn't he?

We see a shot of Brian Kuh grinning like an idiot.

Billy: Go ahead and hand Walter the phone right quick.

We see unrelated shots of Brian, Steve, Roy, and Walter, then back to Walter on the phone with Billy:

Walter: Okay, so let me ask you this...because I want to make sure I understand what you're getting at...are you officially submitting this score?

We see shots of Robert and MDA.

Walter: Robert was noting the tape jumped from score to score...how did that happen?

Shot of Robert.

Walter: Okay, so that's a copy, obviously. That's why it's so kinda blurry sometimes on the left side. Okay, well you kept impressing on us that you weren't submitting it.

Shots of Robert and MDA.

Walter: (Still talking on the phone to Billy) So I think it's an acceptable score. [possible cut here] Let me go see if I can put that on the website, okay?

We see Walter and Brian walking into a narrow, cluttered office.

Brian: (To Billy on the phone) Walter is entering this into the internet as we speak.

Walter: (To Brian and the camera) So Billy Mitchell is being upgraded for officially submitting his score.

Brian: (Still on the phone to Billy) One million forty seven thousand and, how much Billy? Two hundred.

Walter enters 1,047,200.
Member for 10 Years

Offline RTM

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 03:19:47 pm »
Billy is a consummate liar.

The tape in question was shown on Saturday evening at the 2005 ACAM event on a TV set at the back of the arcade about 20 feet from where Steve Wiebe was playing DK. Brian Kuh was in charge of that tape. After the performance ended, Kuh and Kuh ALONE was responsible for that tape.

I left that night shortly after both the tape ended and after we had a chance to congratulate Steve on his live 985K score. That following morning I visited ACAM for all of an hour before starting the drive back to NYC. Unbeknownst to me, Walter had already entered the score into the TG database. I discovered that the following morning when I returned to work, logged into the TG site and saw it prominently on the TG front page. I immediately contacted Brien King, my fellow TG Board Member, and the two of us determined that the score needed to be taken down, so I did just that. In fact this is discussed in the director's comment section of the KOK DVD.

Subsequent to the event, Billy mailed me the "master tape". It arrived much later in the year. Walter even discussed this at some point during his TG forum section dealing with KOK. This "master tape" was cleaner than the original tape and it matched it in several key elements...

-> an unusually risky start in stage 1-1...Billy spent some time at the very bottom of the stage before so much as climbing the first ladder. He might have made 700-1200 points down there, hard to remember from so long ago, but 30+ of us all watched it in the Cram cabin

-> mid-600K "glitch"

-> next-to-last elevator stage finished with Billy on top at 998,500 then climbing the ladder to roll the score to all zeros. This is where the major glitch happened in the original tape

-> slow-play from that point on to a finish of 1,047,200 in the final rivet stage

-> unless I am mistaken, Billy never played the kill-screen for extra points

-> then the final "USA" score name entry

Mitchell maintains that he never sent me the tape because there is no record of it in his carrier account(s) (i.e. FEDEX and/or UPS)...but is he actually that stupid to think we would discount the possibility that he (or someone else on his behalf, like his good buddy Chris Ayra) mailed it on his behalf from some local post office and paid in cash ? And if he asks me to show the proof of the mailing box itself after 15 years, well he's (censored) retarded. Who in God's name saved mailing boxes for 15 years ?? And that's on top of the fact that he knows quite well I no longer have any TG property in my possession since Kuh took the cache of tapes from me lock, stock and barrel back in Nov/07.

Further...if he thinks someone could manually re-create his performance replete with all key elements across all 100+ screens of the game, he's absolutely bonkers. The odds of someone doing THAT is on par with getting an all-banana game on "Ms Pacman" thru the kill screen. Ain't gonna happen.

In short, Billy actually believes his own BS. Watch this short video clip to understand the psychology as to why -
The more factual errors that are pointed out in his current incarnation of "what happened", the more likely he is to issued a revised version of "what happened". Roy used to pull the same stunt 15 years back. Every time the referees poked holes in his story he slightly altered the version of "what happened" to compensate for it. By the time that nonsense stopped his final (?) version of what happened was a shade of the original version. Maybe Billy is drawing from the Roy Shildt playbook ?

I think what threw him for a loop the most is that back in 2005 and prior he knew that the referees would never catch what he did. We did know know of a "finger girder" and I cannot even remember it being discussed back then that the screens (arcade vs MAME) loaded differently. No one, to my knowledge, compared them frame by frame, and both Billy and Chris never made that knowledge readily available to us.

The only knowledge that Chris shared with me was actually useful, with respect to Steve's VHS tape of 985K (a year before the ACAM event) in which Steve started with credits in the machine, so it precluded the bottom of the splash screen from showing which helped in identifying the version of the ROMset, at least that's what I was told by Chris back then.
Member for 8 Years

Offline colecomeister

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 04:44:16 pm »
I find it strange that he devoted great effort to maintain an inventory of 15 year old shipping labels, including shipping containers sent back and forth with a Nintendo engineer, all out of a devotion to demonstrate that circumstances surrounding his gameplay were beyond reproach...

but he couldn't be bothered to preserve or retain a single copy of the actual gameplay for his 1,047,200 1,050,200 or 1,062,800 performances.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:48:22 pm by colecomeister »
Member for 6 Years

Offline RTM

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 05:24:48 pm »
The fact that Guinness is "recognizing" him as the 1st million points on DK is most curious.

It can't possibly be the 1.014M VHS tape Billy unveiled at Lincoln Center in July or August of 2004 as that score was never formally entered into the TG database. Once Billy found out that Steve's 1.006M would not be accepted...because HE and Chris Ayra told me that the "gummy substance" affected the clock speed and because Kuh found evidence that Roy shipped boards to Steve...Billy withdrew his 1.014M. The "thunder" that Steve's 1.006M stole from Bill was now gone.

It can't possibly be the 1.047M tape which Guinness said occurred Jun 5th of 2005 because that score, while entered by Walter into the TG database on June 5th of 2005 was based on a tape that TG referees refused to validate, and in fact removed from the TG database the following morning, a score that Walter himself said should never have been entered.

I saw it 14 years ago when Billy pulled that stunt with the Lincoln Center tape and tried to strongarm Walter and I into not recognizing Steve as the first million on the game...Billy's massive ego refused to accept the fact that someone...anyone...other than himself could become the first to get a million.

That totally ruined Billy's "plan" from the 2000 MTV interview segment...that special achievement that no one else in gaming had ever done before. I asked him at the Mall of America event in the parking lot with Dwayne nearby about his proposed feat and told him that if I was him I'd probably try to reclaim all 5 world records from yesteryear that he once held, getting a million on DK, a million on Ms Pac, a new WR on Burgertime, and whatever else could be done with Pacman and Centipede, and he told me, with Dwayne as a witness, "Who told you that ?" and I said that we thought alike and that's what I would do if I were him .He then told me that I came the closest to guessing what he had in mind. He can deny this anecdote all he wants, the liar that he is.

Bottom line is he had to be the first, all due to his ego. That "South Park" cartoon had him pegged right down the line with "Bono" having to be number one at everything and scoffing at the mere notion of being "Number Two".

This is in line with Billy's other many "famous first" claims...

1st to kill screen DK
1st to discover the 9 hidden dots in Pacman
1st to discover the "Q*Bert" no-enemy trick
1st to discover the "DK Jr" warp trick
1st to discover the "Galaga" no-fire trick

Same MO with Billy...no one on this entire planet could POSSIBLY do these before him.

You all know the games and the firsts above...

-> You can't be certain that no one on the entire planet who played DK did not reach the kill screen, regardless of score, before Billy
->  Same thing for the hidden dots in "Pacman"
-> The "Q*Bert" trick is so ridiculously easy to do by accident that a LOT of people likely did this before Billy...I personally saw a friend do this in the NYC Loews Student Center in late 1982, by accident

That leaves the other two. Let's talk about "DK Jr" for starters. Why the heck would anyone, just for personal sh*ts and giggles, decide to do a backwards jump onto a fish as it falls off the vine into the water ?

And finally, "Galaga". Billy told me HOW he allegedly "discovered" this trick. He said he was waiting in some cafe/venue for a friend to show and all he had was a quarter, so he decided to play "Galaga" and to pass the time away just happened to decide to save one of the two bottom left enemies for last and just happened to decide to dodge their fire for 10-15 minutes. Sounds more like he reverse-engineered a "plausible story" around a pre-existing trick to claim it for his own.

But the fact that the SAME gamer has claimed not one but ALL of these arcade firsts...it just defies logic. And that's not far off from his current "evidence package" with respect to certain claims.

Billy has a psychological need to be the first...period.

Billy loves to cite certain historical facts...like that stupid quote he gave about Eddie Rickenbacker shooting down planes that he recited "unrehearsed" for the KoK film. So I'll do the same as Billy now.

Back in 1943 a famous psychologist crafted a pyramid representing the Heirarchy of Human Needs. The most basic were at the bottom, and the ones that come closer to "self actualization" are at the top.

I personally believe that this assessment is the exact OPPOSITE of Billy. His most basic human need is to be the first...at everything. Judge for yourself - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs
Member for 8 Years

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
  • Mario Bros. Arcade World Record Holder.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 03:58:31 am »
Here it is people! A more detailed "bullet point" message, cutting through the fat, if you will, account of what Bill has said in his declaration, and the facts and evidence in the TG reply that debunk it crystal clear.
No Gray area. Black and white proof. Facts....
https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/210224-Post-Verdict-Dispute-Discussion-Jeremy-Young-Arcade-Donkey-Kong-Points-Hammer-Allowed-Player-Billy-L-Mitchell-Score-1-062-800?p=1085808&viewfull=1&fbclid=IwAR164ctfIRCX76fPcGkGysCDO0tXzgdw__7FGX6q2-3H2puF3G6WuHcWoY4#post1085808
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline RTM

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 07:29:48 pm »
I read that Jace Hall responded that Billy might at this point be asking for "more time" so as to address "new evidence".

One would think that with a previously presented 156-page "evidence package" there was no more "evidence" to address.

Billy is most likely trying to reverse-engineer plausible "stories" explaining away what REALLY happened.

This is straight out of the Roy Shildt Playbook every time the referees poked holes in Roy's crock of BS Roy would slightly alter his "story" of the 1.695M accordingly, until it became impossible at which point he demanded that TG engage in revisionism and change the actual date that his score took place.

Billy has doubled-down and at this point would argue that 1+1 does not equal 2 if push came to shove.
Member for 8 Years

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 08:42:53 pm »
I don't want to start any added drama, but perhaps given the situation around TG scores by  <Billy>, we should also question the holy war that  <Billy> and  <Walter> brought upon Roy. I'm not at all attempting to defend his score or his behavior but just point out that it's hard to trust  <Billy> and  <Walter> about anything at this point.

Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Snowflake

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 09:21:51 pm »
I don't want to start any added drama, but perhaps given the situation around TG scores by  <Billy>, we should also question the holy war that  <Billy> and  <Walter> brought upon Roy. I'm not at all attempting to defend his score or his behavior but just point out that it's hard to trust  <Billy> and  <Walter> about anything at this point.

indeed. especailly when we look back and see roy predicting billy stuff before billy did it and years before anyone else figured it out.

how convenient roy was stupid enough to make death threats, no way of course anyone would've forged those death threats. be nice to see those letters publicized for handwriting analysis
Member for 7 Years

Offline RTM

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 02:35:25 am »
Walter submitted all of Roy's threats to the FBI 15+ years ago...contact the FBI if you are curious about handwriting analysis, if you wish.
Member for 8 Years

Offline RTM

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 06:28:39 pm »
Just read this passage...

That's because former referee Robert Mruczek?who originally validated that tape in 2006 and reaffirmed its authenticity in court documents?"expressed direct hatred for me, compared me to convicted sexual assaulter Bill Cosby, and falsified testimony to imply that I used money to corrupt my way to success," as Mitchell put it.

I'd like to know WHEN and WHERE I likened Billy Mitchell to Bill Cosby !! I'm not fan of Billy now, but I can't recall ever using that specific analogy about him.
Member for 8 Years

Offline Snowflake

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 06:36:34 pm »
theres room semantics debate whether or not you likened billy to cosby

you suggested just as billy cosby has reprecussions in his business/reputation/persona because of his actions likewise billy's action should have reprecussions

so a parallel to cosby was definitely drawn. wasnt really saying the crimes were equal but was saying it set a precent on how actoins effect, i dont remember the exact words
Member for 7 Years

Offline Snowflake

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 07:06:34 pm »
this "evidence" package is way too long to read through. I scanned through looking for emails, screenshots, text messages, you know the sort of thing that isnt conjecture. the sort of thing thats either easily provably true, or outright forged and easily enough proven so at court. Looking for just that stuff helps give some idea on whats included. good luck reading through everything else
Member for 7 Years