Author Topic: Who's scoring in the 200k-500k range and actively trying to get a KS?  (Read 20920 times)

Offline dknetter

• Awards
Re: Who's scoring in the 200k-500k range and actively trying to get a KS?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2020, 06:59:20 pm »
Long time lurker here and I don't usually post, but I have a high score of 201k so yay I barely make this list. Getting back into and still practicing the basics springs and optimal paths not to die. As I'm not really that focused on point pressing unless I have a 0% chance of dying doing it such as taunting Kong on Rivets. Just seeing how far I can make it. I think it was level 7 that I finally ended up game overing in for my PB, but still at it and still learning new things.

Welcome to the 200k+ club! Yeah, I really see no reason to point press at all until you've gotten good enough to reach the KS (I think someone like Xelnia points this out and discusses some reasoning in another thread on here somewhere). Just focus on getting through boards consistently, and the points will come along with that. I also don't even do stuff like taunt Kong on rivets. Since my game usually ends way before the KS anyway, I find it just adds up to a giant waste of time to try and do stuff like that.

My progress has been kind of like 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Like I'll go long stretches without dying on springs, then have several deaths on them within a few games. It's just really mastering (i.e., becoming ultra consistent) on a lot of little things! Barrels has been a struggle in that way...I can pass the barrels at a high percent, but like 95% pass rate isn't good enough...pushing that to like 98% is the tough part! At this point I feel I'm finally super close...it's really just a matter of one good game now.
Member for 4 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Animalchild

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2020, 01:01:00 am »
Hey, so I?m hitting 400k usually, my best score is 617000, I would say I?m actively chasing a KS even though I?m on the bottom end of the spectrum. My PB had a final death at level 17 which is close enough for me to see it happening someday.
Member for 4 Years Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2020, 09:42:54 am »
Hey, so I?m hitting 400k usually, my best score is 617000, I would say I?m actively chasing a KS even though I?m on the bottom end of the spectrum. My PB had a final death at level 17 which is close enough for me to see it happening someday.

Sounds like about exactly where I'm at right now...hitting 400k relatively frequently, and PB 615k. But I'd say you are much closer than "happening someday" at those scores. Of course I haven't hit it quite yet, but I feel like it will just take one solid game with a little luck...which can be like any day now.
Member for 4 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2020, 10:48:50 am »
For a minute I thought I was going to get to come back and post a KS game I started right after my previous post. I made it to 13 rivets before my first death, but only to 13 rivets before my last death. Argh.

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2020, 09:55:06 am »

Just hit 666k...so close. Are you making attempts pretty regularly for the KS?

Offline Bounty Bob

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2020, 03:20:13 pm »
Made it to level 20 the other day with a score of 783,100. Got two weeks off work now, so will hopefully get some runs in.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2020, 08:05:46 am »
Made it to level 20 the other day with a score of 783,100. Got two weeks off work now, so will hopefully get some runs in.

Yeah, I missed my goal of hitting it before my work started picking up again. I'm still trying to get in 1 or 2 decent games per day, just to keep up the skill level if nothing else.  Get some solid games in each day these next couple weeks and keep us posted how it's going. Good luck!

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2020, 12:50:02 pm »
How many games do you all play a day? I'm in the 200k-500k range and would love to dedicate some time to getting better.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2020, 08:25:02 pm »
How many games do you all play a day? I'm in the 200k-500k range and would love to dedicate some time to getting better.

For myself, I've just tried to be consistent in devoting some time each day as my schedule allows. For the most part, I haven't measured that in games. I've spent lots of time just replaying levels from a saved state on mame. It's been about 7 months now I've been semi seriously trying to get better. At the beginning I was playing games from start, then transitioned to practice from saved states, and now like the past month back to full games again. Even the past month I struggle through periods of restarts due to dumb deaths on levels 1 to 4, but lately have been much more consistent at getting to 5 with no or one death. After that, 1 or 2 games can easily last an hour or two which is maxing the time I generally can figure to spend a day at this point.

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2020, 06:39:52 pm »

How did the 2 weeks off from work go? Have any close games? I'm thinking of making a new thread:

Who's scoring in the 500k-600k range and not yet hitting a KS?

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2020, 01:38:20 pm »

How did the 2 weeks off from work go? Have any close games? I'm thinking of making a new thread:

Who's scoring in the 500k-600k range and not yet hitting a KS?

No need for a new thread now - finally hit it!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 01:49:41 pm by dknetter »

Offline Animalchild

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2020, 07:31:42 am »

Hey, sorry for the late reply! I usually play a couple times a week.. About 2 months ago I bought a arcade machine to really knuckle down so I?m hoping I can  get the job done quite soon. I see you got yours so a big congratulations. Did you see yourself getting better before it happened or did it just click on that game? It?s just freeing up the time to get the 2 hour games going.

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2020, 01:19:31 pm »

Hey, sorry for the late reply! I usually play a couple times a week.. About 2 months ago I bought a arcade machine to really knuckle down so I?m hoping I can  get the job done quite soon. I see you got yours so a big congratulations. Did you see yourself getting better before it happened or did it just click on that game? It?s just freeing up the time to get the 2 hour games going.

Yeah, planning for a 2 hour game was definitely a limiting factor given work/family stuff. In the weeks before hitting it, I basically decided to just try and play one solid game every day so my skill didn't have the chance to regress. My goal for those games was just making it past 12-2 (halfway), and I started hitting that goal semi-regularly. But many of those games were only like 45-60 minutes. I did feel like my game got really solid and consistent in weeks before I hit it. The avoidable dumb deaths were still happening once in a while, but seemed much less frequent. More and more it felt like just getting lucky on the rivets was all I needed. Then I'd have a real good man once in a while too where I'd go for like 8 to 12 levels, so I knew if I could just string a couple of those together I could get there. That's what happened in the KS game, as I think I made it from like L13 to the end on my last man. Keep at it and good luck!

Offline McBee

• Matt McBride
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2020, 08:02:36 am »
Late to the party but this thread describes me.

Regularly over 200K with a high score of 325K and really wanting to put in the work to get a KS.
Member for 3 Years

Offline Animalchild

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2020, 11:54:47 pm »
And I finally did it!