Author Topic: I lost a lot of my drive in classic gaming.  (Read 3997 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
I lost a lot of my drive in classic gaming.
« on: January 12, 2019, 09:08:31 am »
Almost 10 years when I started in the hobby I had things that I wanted to accomplish.  Over the years I got most of it.  I got more than enough recognition.   Was on two trading cards, had a score listed on four different Guinness book of world record gaming books.  Got a viral video of over 200k in views.  Was on the cover of my hometown newspaper.  No, I haven't had a Kataku/gamegear/Nintendolife article, but the some of everything dwarfs an article from a national gaming publication site.  I got the fame I wanted. 

As far as respect from gamers for my gaming ability.  Yeah, I got that.  I'm known as a good gamer by most, and a great gamer by some.  For someone like myself who was barely above average in gaming ability when I started this in 2009 it's more than I could ever ask for.

Lastly, I have have made my mark in the narration of the story of classic gaming.  50 years from now if someone were to write a book of the grand history of competitive CAG gaming, I might only get a paragraph mention, but I'm getting a mention.

So in short I got most of what I wanted.  I got the fame, the respect, and I am part of the grand story of classic gaming. 

So the hunger is gone for the most part.  So I don't know what the new drive will be since I believe I basically proved myself as a gamer, and got more attention than I ever imagined.  I'll still be competitive, but the drive is mostly gone.

"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
Re: I lost a lot of my drive in classic gaming.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 11:35:49 pm »
I’m just here for all the points. It’s a hobby, and recognition doesn’t actually turn into enough money to make it worth it financially if that’s any part of the goal. I like a lot of the people, like the camaraderie, and respect the grind people put in to master these games.

I want to see everyone achieve their goals, no matter how long it may take them. Some goals are harder than others.

And it’s nice to be around others who understand what it is that we’re interested in. And understand the sense of accomplishment we get to feel when we tick another box off of our to-do lists.

I’m just happy when some mates show up when I get a game going. That’s more than enough to make me happy. The drive is me against the monkey, and the support is enough of a side effect to warrant a smile.
Member for 7 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: I lost a lot of my drive in classic gaming.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 02:29:52 am »
I think everyone loses that fire in their belly at some point. The main thing is you continue to stick around to support the hobby and your friends

Personally I wouldn't give you a paragraph. I think a list of  "George's Top 10 DKF Threads" would be more suitable :)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer