Author Topic: Spacey's Pointless Million Point Pac Odyssey  (Read 2251 times)

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
Spacey's Pointless Million Point Pac Odyssey
« on: October 03, 2023, 04:57:06 pm »
<pacman> Why Spacey whyyy  <blinky>

So I've decided to go for a million points on the original Pac-man. Factory speed and 3+1. A game I (and planty of others here) have bitched about before.
It's boring. It's slow. The maze never changes. Grouping the ghosts is a thankless, ball-achingly tedious, time-consuming undertaking.

And it is.

But reading Erstaz Cats's utterly compelling Pac investigation:

https://perfectpacman.com/fraud/

and his account of his attempts to get perfect:

https://perfectpacman.com/2022/11/13/quest-for-perfect-score-1/ 

got me firing it up and thinking about trying to learn a pattern or 2. It feels very naughty to me to be beating the game with all this pre-planning.

Then I went to a couple of events at Base Arcade Belfast:

https://linktr.ee/basearcade

They have an original Pac-man cabaret with both the controls and a glowing CRT in tip-top condition (though cruelly with no extra life at 10000). It was just magical playing the real thing. And executing a couple of patterns successfully on the original hardware felt even more naughty    :D

<pacman> Patterns ftw  <blinky>

Watching the real masters do it with beautiful, elegant, risky-looking patterns convinced me it's really the only way to go.

Two examples (both courtesy of David Race's YouTube channel):

David himself:

And Rick Fothergill:

The play is just gorgeous to watch - total domination of the monsters, suicidal-looking moves, the triumphant bloops od 200, 400, 800, 1600 - magnificent.
David's 9th key pattern where he gets the 2nd key while booeying Inky is just tremendous.

But I've never had the memory or motor skills to keep more than 1 pattern in my head at once, never mind more than 20.

<pacman> Easy patterns from heaven  <blinky>

So a youtube recommendation popped up out of the blue a couple of months ago:

The absolute genius of this is you can get to the end with just 3 patterns (ignoring most of the ghosts).
Pattern 1 takes you from the Cherry to the 2nd Peach.
Pattern 2 (incredibly) from the 1st Apple to the 8th key.
Pattern 3 9th key and beyond

I think it's Pac-legend Neil Chapman responsible for this but I can't find a name on the channel.

So for the moment I'm basically stealing these first 2 amazing Pac Strats patterns and then using my own 9th key pattern until I die 4 times because I'm not that good at this.

<pacman> Going backwards  <blinky>

I wanted to at least make my own 9th key pattern so I'm not completely using someone else's hard work.

It took 2 - 3 weeks of relentless trial and mostly error, but finally woooooooo:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1932646326

I'm currently about halfway to perfect Cherry and 1st Peach patterns; I'll post them here and any others when they're done.

<pacman> Call in and abuse me  <blinky>

The next Base Arcade event is on October 21st, so up until then I'll be streaming my high score attempts and pattern failures on my Twitch:

https://www.twitch.tv/qaop_spaceman

My goal is to turn up at the arcade and hopefully get a least a quarter of a million.

I got a c-hair away  <Allen> this afternoon on the sofa in my underpants, wasn't recording but I sent the ROM files to Namco and they said it was legit  <Billy>

Fingers crossed a million won;t be far away, but we've heard that before  <Allen>

I'd love it if some of y'all could pop into the streamz, even for a couple of minutes, to heckle, abuse, insult, cajole, castigate, mock, or encourage me on my pointless, draining mission! :D

<blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky> <blinky>
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Spacey's Pointless Million Point Pac Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 07:07:36 pm »
I know you have problems with hand cramping.  Pacman can be hard on the hands.  So, maybe do it slow and steady.

I wish you the best on your journey
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 08:18:53 pm »
Get them spacey!!! make sure to use proper controls this time!
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Have a score on every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 06:43:17 pm »
Quote from: George
I know you have problems with hand cramping.  Pacman can be hard on the hands.  So, maybe do it slow and steady.

I wish you the best on your journey

Quote from: Bazza
Get them spacey!!! make sure to use proper controls this time!

Thanks lads!

Any questions about hand cramping or 'proper controls' ought to be resolved by this pic:

Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 07:25:30 pm »
 NotLikeThis
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Have a score on every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer