Author Topic: DK Sprite Glitches - Help  (Read 2735 times)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
DK Sprite Glitches - Help
« on: May 19, 2018, 03:51:46 am »
Mates,

My DK board has been acting up for quite awhile and I'm at my wits end on how to fix it. Basically, every moving sprite is wigging out. It seems to get a little worse the longer the board is powered on, but settles into a certain pattern of glitchiness. I've recorded a video to show what's going on, and ran through every type of board as well as attract mode. No audio because I forgot to turn on the mic. Here's everything I've tried so far:

-New switching power supply. The old PSU was dead anyway, so I got the Arcadeshop PSU adapted for Nintendo cabs. Turning up the voltage actually helps, but it goes beyond what I'm comfortable sending to the board. I fried a Remix kit trying to do it this way. The glitches are present with no kit in, and also present when the two different Remix kits I have are installed.

-Replacement original PSU. I've seen posts around the intarwebz stating that switching power supplies don't always play nice with older PCBs. So, I got a whole new power brick from TNT...power supply, isolation transformer, etc. All voltage from the PSU and at the board is fine. -5.28, +5.28, +12.43, and +23.7 from the PSU. -5.35, +5.03, +12.32, and +23.6 at the edge connector. +5.03 at every single chip I tested (probably 20-30 chips on both the CPU and video board).

-Cleaned the board and removed, cleaned, and reseated all socketed chips.

-Checked all cable connections.

-Mike's Arcade originally fixed this board for me, when it was completely dead. He replaced the NE556 timer and 5A eprom, and cleaned the 8035 socket and some other corrosion on the board. I can't remember if this issue was present when the board came back from him, because when I first noticed it I just turned up the voltage on the switcher and it went away.

-The problem doesn't really match any of the issues shown on the Brasington tech page and it doesn't quite match any of the Mike's Arcade repair logs for DK or DKJR.

At this point, I'm hoping this exact issue has been encountered and fixed by someone out there, because it's beyond my current skills to diagnose. So, plz halp plz.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 03:54:13 am by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Dk_madness

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: DK Sprite Glitches - Help
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 06:53:05 am »
Could be a corrupted 5B rom.... hard to tell exactly though
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK Masters - Rank D Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 07:01:43 pm »
But are the fireballs staying down?
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 09:41:24 am »
Problem solved. Bad DMA controller (8257 at 7E). Swapped out for a new one (with socket) and all the glitches are gone.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 12:32:40 pm »
Kreygasm

Go good, mate
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 02:23:59 pm »
Stream at 3 am?
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline BillyGaines

• L=22
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 03:42:22 pm »
That board was eBay certified working when I had it!  That board had 2 huge dirt dauber's nests on it when I first got it.  I'm glad you got it working again. 
"If at first you don't succeed then maybe you just suck." - Kenny Powers
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer