Author Topic: The safe spot in Donkey Kong 3  (Read 5134 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
The safe spot in Donkey Kong 3
« on: April 03, 2018, 08:58:21 pm »
For a very long time I thought there was no safe spot in this game, but as of late the idea came to me.    What about board 3?  I just tested it, and yes it can give over 40 seconds of a break.  Long enough to  let a person take a leak in the bathroom if they are quick.  It actually might be longer if you can get Donkey Kong higher up the ropes.

So why board three?

Simple.  On board one there are no queen bees.  Just flies, and even if just one is left they will pick up a flower, and become a super bee, and kill you.  Board 3 though has a couple of things going for it.  First off there are only worms on  the top two level, and so a worm can't hit you on the bottom two.  Second, the queen bee makes her first appearance, and so if you can kill all the flies, and leave one queen bee you'll get your chance to create a bathroom break for yourself.

Board 4 also doesn't have worms on the bottom two, but with board 4 it's harder to shoot Donkey Kong up the ropes.

So yeah, it's weird, but there is a safe spot in Donkey Kong.  It's not that long, but given how much you need to go to the bathroom or just get yourself together, it might be a game changer.

Why am I posting this?  Because if someone uses the tactic they'll have to call it the Riley break.  Kappa
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: The safe spot in Donkey Kong 3
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 12:02:02 am »
You might not be able to move Coke cans (yet), but maybe you can read minds. I was discussing this very thing with Barra and Katie a few hours ago. I said that someday, when all the code-level secrets of DK3 are discovered, it might completely change the way the game is played...including the possible discovery of safe spots.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: The safe spot in Donkey Kong 3
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 12:03:31 am »
This is useful information for when someone wants to break your record <stirpot> <popcorn>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer