Author Topic: Good laptop to stream?  (Read 7226 times)

Offline M.Schrock

• Awards
Good laptop to stream?
« on: November 27, 2017, 07:33:23 am »
Hi all I've owned a dk machine for about a year so I think it's about time I try and get my name on the high score list somewhere. The only problem is I know nothing about computers or laptops and I was wondering what laptop would be good to stream from twitch. I've been looking at this one http://www.qvc.com/.product.E231225.html
Do you think this would do the job?
Member for 7 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
Re: Good laptop to stream?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:36:43 pm »
As the go-to dkforum tech expert  Kappa BibleThump ROFL <gasp> , I'd say any old laptop will do.

What's more important is a half-decent camera pointed at your cab, and a good fast reliable internet connection :)
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:19:57 pm »
Hi all I've owned a dk machine for about a year so I think it's about time I try and get my name on the high score list somewhere. The only problem is I know nothing about computers or laptops and I was wondering what laptop would be good to stream from twitch. I've been looking at this one http://www.qvc.com/.product.E231225.html
Do you think this would do the job?

That laptop should work just fine. As Spacey said, make sure you get a decent webcam (I think the Logitech C920 is a popular choice, but ask around) and have a reliable internet connection.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Kewydee_17

• Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:00:23 am »
That laptop is more than capable for your streaming needs. You could get away with a lot less powerful / expensive machine if it is just for streaming.

My streaming pc is an core2 quad 2.66ghz 8gb memory from 2008 and that will stream 720p at 30fps no problem (whilst also running mame, winamp, a browser and a chat program).

I also use a c920 camera on occasions, can recommend.

You will probably need a clamp arm thing to mount your camera to the cab, something like this -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-Inch-Articulating-Magic-Arm-Super-Clamp-Crab-Plier-Clip-for-Camera-DSLR/142122409429?epid=1123102012&hash=item211727ddd5:g:XEUAAOSwPCVX35FG
DK Hi-Score 84,000

Mr Do! Hi-Score 2.030.050 Scene 141
Member for 8 Years Twitch Streamer