Author Topic: DK3 record harder to beat than the Galaga record?  (Read 16648 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
DK3 record harder to beat than the Galaga record?
« on: October 26, 2017, 05:13:13 pm »
OK, I'm putting it out there. My Donkey Kong 3 record might be harder to beat than the Galaga record.  Specifically the Marathon records. Especially the 6.1 million score on Difficulty 3, and the Medium on Difficulty 2.
Now before you burn me at the stake for heresy, let me explain.  I am not saying 100% it's harder to beat, just the numbers would suggest so.
First off, yeah Galaga was widely popular.  Having said that the 15.9 million record is not a dominant record.  There are seven other scores within half of that.
For the 8.7 million, and 6.1 million scores there isn't a single score within half of that.
The argument against this is Steve Wagner getting a million on his third try.  Still Wagner is a freak of nature in CAG gaming.  He can casually play a tournament, and get a top five. Also getting to a million on easy settings is helped by the game awarding a man every 30,000.
Next in the argument is the fact that Galaga doesn't have randomness.  On the higher level s there are I think three or four different boards.  Those boards the ships come out in the same place, at the same speed.
This is not the case with Donkey Kong 3.  The bugs come out at different speeds.  This can be seen when using the super spray.  Sometimes the bugs are right on you, and you barely get him to the top.  Sometimes bugs lay back, and let you easily get him to the top.
Next is there simply isn't as much to deal with.  Most of the enemies are killed in the first wave. After that you have three different bugs not counting the bonus bugs.
For Donkey Kong 3 you have soooo much going on.  The game has a timer, meaning you have to kill them all before the timer runs out, and the vine eaters eat the ropes to let Donkey Kong down.
Next, and this is important.  You have enemies that can't be killed with regular spray.
With the worms they will block your shot of other bugs, and if you're not paying attention or are stuck in a corner they'll sneak up on you, and kill you simply by touching you.
Donkey Kong just hangs out, and constantly throws coconuts in your direction.  Plus you have to constantly be spraying him so he doesn't hit the bottom, and kill you.
Without the super spray Donkey Kong is basically the nearly unbeatable boss enemy.
Next is the fact Galaga enemies can be killed in one shot.
With DK3 the queen bees take two shots, and they don't die peacefully.  They explode in four pieces.  When that happens sometimes you are dodging the explosion, and Donkey Kong's coconut at the same time.

Having said all of that, I do recognize the speed of the galaga bugs are much faster, and if you screw up the beginning, you are in major trouble as they rain down bullets on you.
Also Galaga has 17 men they give you while DK3 gives out 37.  Also you get a super spray after every death, and you can pass through the blue board with not much of a problem.
Plus, like I said, there was so much competition back in the day.
So yeah, I basically am comparing apples to oranges again in a way, but I firmly believe there is at least a decent argument to support that Donkey Kong 3 is the tougher record to break.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: DK3 record harder to beat than the Galaga record?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 10:51:37 pm »
False
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 11:26:38 pm »
False
So what's the major hard part of Galaga.  The unforgiving nature of the game if you screw up?  That's definitely the thing a lot of people overlook with the game. 
Still, it'll be interesting as you progress in Donkey Kong 3 if you'll maintain that belief.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 11:42:52 pm »
Really though, I'd like to hear a good argument on how Galaga is such a hard record to break.  It kinda sucks that I have to present both sides of the argument.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 12:14:02 am »
Settle down
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 12:45:40 am »
It's a wash.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Josephjo

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 02:46:36 am »
So hard to compare considering how popular and accessible Galaga was back in the day.

I reckon if DK3 had Galaga's popularity and numbers across the world, you'd probably still be in the top 20 DK3 players today George.
" Its not how you play the game but who you have backing up the bullshit."

From The Book Of Sczerby 2:18
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 03:05:08 am »
So you're saying that the 20th best Galaga score is equal to my record?

I know you don't have much experience with Donkey Kong 3, and so I'll put it in a way for you to understand.  My Donkey Kong 3 record is about five times harder to beat than my Atari 2600 Galaxian record.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 03:17:15 am »
ROFL

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 04:55:34 am »
If it helps any, I got 1m on reg.speed Galaga w/extra lives at the arcade BITD when I was 10.  It was my go to game when my mom was shopping and I only had 1 quarter and needed to spend a lot of time without any money.  So 1m at 10 years old vs 1m on 3 tries as an adult....hmmm.....we might need  <Mruczek> to settle this.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 06:01:46 am »
Also, when Barra gets both records, we'll let him decide which is tougher I reckon.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:06:22 pm »
what in the f  <confused>
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 12:33:37 pm »
Since not a single person can give a valid argument against my assertions, than it must be DK3 is the harder record to break.

Or people just don't care, and would rather make fun of me.
No, it can't be that it's DK3 being harder to break. 8)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 12:45:26 pm »
lol
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 03:21:11 pm »
ROFL