Author Topic: Misc Donkey Kong Challenges  (Read 88285 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Misc Donkey Kong Challenges
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 04:23:20 pm »
Awesome, Jeff! Good way to avoid legal issues. Although, I believe it's actually some random company in Japan that owns the rights to the DK code (after the lawsuit back in the '80s over Nintendo using DK code for DKJr without permission), so I doubt they'd bother us at all. But still, better to be safe than sorry, I suppose.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 04:37:17 pm »
I think a group of us walking Allen through this process would make for a fun stream.

That would be a bigger challenge than anything in this thread.  ;D

And welcome to the Forum Jeff!
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 08:33:26 pm »
Nobody except Nintendo and Ikegami is sure what exactly the terms of the settlement were. Some say Nintendo owns the code now, but I doubt that for various reasons, one of which being that they've never made the arcade version of DK (nor any of the other games that ITC developed, like Popeye) available on the Wii Virtual Console, or licensed it for one of those TV-plug-in games like Midway did for Pac Man. You'd think they'd have done so if they were legally free and clear, especially after KoK made the arcade version of DK somewhat commercially-viable again, at least for a little while.

Fun fact: the little icon that you use to change settings in the Braze DK kit menus is ITC's logo! The sprite was discovered hiding in the code of the original game.

Part of me feels as though we should just say "to hell with it" and make all the DK ROMs available here for whoever wants them, but there might be risks involved that aren't worth taking.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:39:02 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 08:24:49 pm »
4900 on 1-1 bottom girder only (survival) (1 man). Got some good fireball luck on this one. It's not usually anywhere near this easy. I bet Phil Tudose would crush at this.

Donkey Kong 1-1 4900 without leaving first girder
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 08:58:20 pm »
http://1morecastle.com/2012/06/programmed-donkey-kong/

How old is that article? If "several readers" have informed the author that Donkey Kong arcade version is playable in DK64, they are mistaken because there are several obvious differences in the gameplay so it isn't the same code. Someone should let this historian know this.

A couple of similarities you will notice in the ITC alleged developed games are the look of the high score tables, and the use of L=x , P=x, or R=x for level indicators. Congo Bongo's "bonus timer" is almost identical to Donkey Kong's as well.
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 09:00:08 pm »
Nice run Jeff! Added it to the list. Also gonna add a non-survival version of this as well (since someone might get like 7k but die before the timer runs out, and that would be a bummer).

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 09:04:34 pm »
Oh, have you played the arcade version that exists in DK64? I did a long time ago (before I even started playing the arcade version), but not recent enough for me to remember how the gameplay is different...what is different about it?

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 09:17:04 pm »
I have not played it, but...Classic Donkey Kong Arcade
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Dustin(tiptop)Myers

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 09:31:19 pm »
The order of the boards is the same as the jap version.
I also think that you couldn't point press off of things in the DK64 version of the game.
I don't think jumping by Dk in the rivet board worked.
I could be wrong though, been a long time since I played it.
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 09:43:38 pm »
The DK64 version played a bit faster I believe.  I kinda like how you can't get the old nintendo games on the wii.  It keeps those old nintendo arcade games special. 
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 10:20:07 pm »
Cool video. At least it's still way closer to the original DK than the NES version. What is the WR on that 'DK in DK' track?

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 09:28:43 am »
No ladder, only point press on the very first platform of 1-1, haha, that's a good one. I think I could get 8k!... with some luck.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 02:17:42 pm »
I'm sure it would be very tempting to abandon a good no ladder run and turn it into a good total 1-1 if you had a good start going.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 10:10:04 pm »
You're right Dave, it's pretty tempting and sometimes a tough decision to make, but it's kinda cool that a lot of the challenges kind of connect with each other in such a way that if you fail at getting the best score at one of them they can be abandoned for another. For example: bottom girder challenge->1-1 highscore -> 4 man challenge or normal game (or any of the 'highscore by level 'x' challenges').