Author Topic: Do you think 100 hours would be possible on DK3 if it gave extra's after 1 mil?  (Read 5963 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
On easiest settings I do think this is possible.  The key challenge would be staying awake.  Unfortunately the creators of Donkey Kong 3 had the foresight to realize that if they kept giving extras at 30,000 a pop that a Q*bert marathon time length for this game would be feasible.   I do wish sometimes what if?  What if they did not see that?

I do know it's doable to get into the hundreds of men with this game.  I also know it's not like a puzzle game like Q*bert (this does tricks on your mind after awhile).  I also know it's not hard on your hands like Nibbler which makes you do constant hand movements (Nibbler will mentally, and physically break you down.)

The two arguments against it happening would be first, that you have to be aware of multiple things at the same time.   I could see a person starting to run into the stingers of the insects or the barrels of Donkey Kong or simply running into the creepy crawlies of the game.  And Two, the other problem might be blisters.  If the joystick tightens up I could see that eventually becoming a problem.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:50:29 pm by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline John73

• Awards
I'm not familiar with DK3 - does the score roll at 1,000,000? 

Without someone de-compiling the code is it possible to know if the 30,000 bonus lives cut out or if it was a programming "error" with the original programmers not ever assuming a score would go over 1,000,000?

My favorite game is Bump 'n Jump - this game gives bonus lives every 30,000 up to the rollover.  The game rolls at 1,000,000, meaning the last bonus is achievable at 990,000.  This game also neglects to give the 990,000 bonus life if your score goes from say 970,000 to over 1,000,000 (getting the 50k bonus at the end of a level).  I.e. you must have a score on screen between 990,000 and 999,998 to get your last bonus life. 

This is what makes me think for this game at least, that it is something to do with the score rollover and a programming "error/lack of foresight) that causes it to stop.

Much in the same way DK killscreens on 22-1, I highly doubt a lot of the stuff that happens in the particularly older CAG is in there on purpose, but because the original developers never reckoned with the skill and determination of the people playing the games.

Sorry, that was slightly off topic  :)
DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

Like i said before George ..  If it gave the extra guys after a millon .. I belive you could beat the 84 hours on Q-Bert .

hchien

George how many guys would you lose in 1 hour on DK3 (if you are on break).  I think that's the limiting factor.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
George how many guys would you lose in 1 hour on DK3 (if you are on break).  I think that's the limiting factor.

Yeah, good point.  Let's see I can score 1.3 million an hour on easy settings with no problem.  That's about 43 men per hour.  Since it is easy settings I would probably lose at most 10 men an hour.  Meaning I would get about 33 men an hour.  Let's make that 100 per 3 hours.   In a 12 hour span that equals 400 men.  I think it's 9 seconds per death.   So 400 men times 9 seconds is 3600 seconds which is exactly 1 hour.  So I could take a 45 minute break every 12 hours with not much of a problem.  Enough to give me a 35 minute nap, and a 10 minute food, and bathroom break.  So yeah, it's doable.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline johnmcallister

• Awards
Yeah if you could continue to get unlimited extra men you could marathon this game.  I doubt though
that you would get over 255 lives, that's just a fact of 8 bit computing.  So your rest period wouldn't
be long enough to take a nap. 

Overall I don't think that you could play for 100 hours on DK3 with those limits.

Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener

Simpsons99

I still think you could do it George .

You would be the only guy for dk3  that could pull this off.

DKJR that would be interesting if it gave guys like  DK3 Does.
Yeah if you could continue to get unlimited extra men you could marathon this game.  I doubt though
that you would get over 255 lives, that's just a fact of 8 bit computing.  So your rest period wouldn't
be long enough to take a nap. 

Overall I don't think that you could play for 100 hours on DK3 with those limits.