Author Topic: Picture/Sound Question  (Read 2026 times)

npschre

Picture/Sound Question
« on: November 22, 2016, 07:34:52 pm »
Does this look like a monitor issue or a ROM issue? I'm already planning on a cap kit regardless as it curls up on the left side after being on for a bit. After warming up, the lines go away and then flash in and out in pieces.

I've also got a constant high pitch sound after I reseated the ROMs. When the high pitched sound isn't piercing my ear drums, I'm only getting a few of the sounds. Walk/jumping is there, but mostly everything in between is missing.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Picture/Sound Question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 08:51:00 pm »
It's definitely not a monitor issue.   It looks like the character ROMs are bad or not reading correctly, or something in the logic related to character graphics is going bad.   Maybe try reseating EPROMs 3P and 3N on the bottom PCB.

The high pitch sound may be bad sound ROMs, or the sound CPU not executing it's code correctly.   (The walk and jump sounds do not rely on the sound CPU, so they will work even if the sound CPU is not.)    Maybe try reseating EPROMs 3F and 3H on the top PCB.   It may also be possible that these two chips were accidentally swapped with one another..  If the EPROMs still have their labels, they will be marked with 3F and 3H, and the silk screening on the PCB next to the sockets will also be marked 3F and 3H.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
Re: Picture/Sound Question
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 04:52:38 pm »
Hopefully this page will help.

http://www.brasington.org/arcade/tech/dk/
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer