Author Topic: What is considered "THE" DK3 record/track?  (Read 8603 times)

WCopeland

What is considered "THE" DK3 record/track?
« on: September 20, 2016, 08:48:03 am »
I'm trying to compile a list of all the gaming-related goals I'd like to achieve before the end of 2017. While I have no intention whatsoever of going for the DK3 WR, I have a big DK3 score in my sights as I really enjoy playing the game.

There are a lot of a DK3 tracks, but my question is which one is considered the "premier" track? Is it the Difficulty 1 Marathon? Difficulty 1 Five-Man? Difficulty 3 Marathon? Difficulty 3 Five-Man?

Maybe a better way to answer the question -- if someone asked you what the DK3 record was and you had to name one of Griley's scores, which one would you give? We have a "DK3 World Record Holder" badge, but I don't think it has actually been established what track that badge is tied to.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:53:17 am by WCopeland »

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: What is considered "THE" DK3 record/track?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 09:17:41 am »
Whatever one was tied to the old 80's scores.   Medium with extras I think?
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 01:07:47 pm »
Steve is referring to difficulty 3, MAME hard settings (marathon).  It's the oldest recorded track.

As far as goals are concerned, I would say, going after the RBS on Difficulty 3 settings would be a BIG score. 
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 01:55:29 pm »
I'm no DK3 player, but it seems rather logical that the 5 man settings would be the most prestigious, the same goes for the Miss-sigh-UHL Command scores (that may or may not be no-good) <Roy> and games like Q*bert.

5 man does a good job of penalizing you for mistakes, the best players will consistently get the best scores (on these games) because it does a better job of highlighting mastery.

I guess the real question is what is ones definition of "Premier"
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 02:44:38 pm »
It's a little different with DK3 in regards that Donkey Kong 3 has a limited amount of men given.  Missile command is an unlimited amount.  So it's more like Galaga, which also has a limit in men.
With Galaga, I would say marathon settings is more prestigious despite the sordid history of the marathon record holder.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline aarontruitt

• Elite Member
    • AaronTruitt's Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 06:22:54 pm »
I would say that the most popular track is Difficulty 3 (MAME hard) marathon. I agree with Ethan that 5 man is the most impressive. I think 5 man is more fun to watch, too. Underachiever strats on marathon are very effective but can be kind of boring to watch. Beating any of George's scores would be a feat in any category. The man is a beast.
Arcade DK PB: 1,007,600 (KS)
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 02:11:27 pm »
This is an interesting question
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 03:41:00 pm »
Bring it beeyiotch!  8)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Online Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 03:46:26 pm »
Bring it beeyiotch!  8)

ROFL

Seriously though mate, in your opinion what's your easiest & hardest dk3 records to beat (ie for yourself, all of them are hard for everyone else)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 04:44:42 pm »
Bring it beeyiotch!  8)

ROFL

Seriously though mate, in your opinion what's your easiest & hardest dk3 records to beat (ie for yourself, all of them are hard for everyone else)
MAME five man easy, and MAME five man Medium are the easiest to beat.  Hardest to beat maybe five man Hardest.  I suspect the six million on Hard MAME marathon would be hard to beat as well.  The 8.7 million on Arcade Medium is a tough one.

Edit: I thought about it, and I was at the top of my game November 2012.  So my MAME Hard six million score is the hardest, and my 8.7 million Arcade score is the next hardest.  Third is my Five man Hardest.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:20:11 pm by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard