Author Topic: Donkey Kong 3 High Score Lists Discussion  (Read 23062 times)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong 3 High Score Lists Discussion
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 07:40:19 am »
How about something like this:

Please take special note of the Difficulty settings for each variation!

The various scoreboards and sources use different terminology for the same settings and some settings are not tracked at all. Each variation will list the equivalent difficulty setting used across all the scoreboards and sources. A setting of "n/a" means that variation is not tracked by that source.

Donkey Kong 3 High Score Lists

Difficulty 1 - Marathon

Special Rules: A minimum score of 50,000 points is required.

Settings
Number of Players Per Game: 3
Extra: 30,000 Points
Additional Extra: 30,000 Points
Difficulty: Manual: Easy (1)
                MAME: Easy
                MARP: Easy
                TG MAME: n/a
                TG Arcade: n/a
                Aurcade: Easy (1)
                Retro Uprising: Easy (Score Mode default setting)
[noembed]
Rank

Score

RBS

Player

Date

Platform

Source
Y
George Riley
12/27/2011
MAMEMARP
Y
Ben Falls
06/06/2013
MAMEMARP
"teign"
01/02/2003
MAMEMARP
"Sampras@AIVA"
12/23/2002
MAMEMARP
Chris Psaros
12/28/2014
MAMEMARP
Eric Tessler
03/24/2013
ArcadeAurcade
Brian Allen
06/16/2011
MAMEMARP
Steve Wagner
09/23/2011
ArcadeAurcade
"EMPTY BOY"
10/14/2003
MAMEMARP
James White
02/16/2014
ArcadeAurcade
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 12:09:20 pm »
The user that used to be chrispy is now, I believe, known as CrispyChicken as a result of some IGBY bet.

Kappa
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 02:26:28 pm »
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems a tad confusing for the average layman what the difficulty is.  Through all the years, 99 percent of the people who refer to the difficulty settings don't call it difficulty 1,2,3, or 4.  It doesn't seem clearly definable from what I see.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 04:10:55 pm »
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems a tad confusing for the average layman what the difficulty is.  Through all the years, 99 percent of the people who refer to the difficulty settings don't call it difficulty 1,2,3, or 4.  It doesn't seem clearly definable from what I see.

Why not add the description to the number designation, making it both unambiguous and intuitive?

Donkey Kong 3 High Score List
Difficulty 1 (Easy) - Marathon

Difficulty 1 (Easy) - 5 Man

Difficulty 2 (Medium) - Marathon

Difficulty 2 (Medium) - 5 Man

Difficulty 3 (Hard) - Marathon

Difficulty 3 (Hard) - 5 Man

Difficulty 4 (Hardest) - Marathon

Difficulty 4 (Hardest) - 5 Man

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 04:20:04 pm »

Why not add the description to the number designation, making it both unambiguous and intuitive?

Difficulty 1 (Easy) - Marathon

Difficulty 1 (Easy) - 5 Man

Difficulty 2 (Medium) - Marathon

Difficulty 2 (Medium) - 5 Man

Difficulty 3 (Hard) - Marathon

Difficulty 3 (Hard) - 5 Man

Difficulty 4 (Hardest) - Marathon

Difficulty 4 (Hardest) - 5 Man
Thank you, that's what I already did.  I think it makes for the best of both worlds.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 04:31:13 pm »

It's an attempt to compromise and standardize. The best players at this game, in the here-and-now, are STILL confused about what the different settings mean. I started a thread in February hoping to clarify the settings. The same conversation happened again during BOTA...then it happened again a couple weeks ago when the same people were discussing the Trifecta badge. It's not the players' fault that the settings are a mess, but it's not too much to ask for them to spend 30 seconds reading and comparing the settings listed in a scoreboard's rules. Saying "Difficulty 1 (Easy settings), Difficulty 2 (Medium settings), Difficulty 3 (Hard Settings), and Difficulty 4 (Hardest settings)" is not clearly definable and just as problematic: somebody will eventually wonder how TG/Aurcade's "Medium (3)" fits into the puzzle. To me that's NOT unambiguous and intuitive. By including TG, Aurcade, MARP, and RU you need to compare and explain the discrepancy between all those sources for every variation.

In my opinion the way I've formatted the settings in my preview is the most succinct and thorough way of combining all the different sources. For Difficulty 3 it would look like this:

Difficulty 3 - Marathon

Special Rules: A minimum score of 25,000 points is required.

Settings
Number of Players Per Game: 3
Extra: 30,000 Points
Additional Extra: 30,000 Points
Difficulty: Manual: (3)
                MAME: Hard
                MARP: n/a
                TG MAME: n/a
                TG Arcade: Medium [3]
                Aurcade: Medium (3)
                Retro Uprising: n/a
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 05:37:30 pm »
Saying "Difficulty 1 (Easy settings), Difficulty 2 (Medium settings), Difficulty 3 (Hard Settings), and Difficulty 4 (Hardest settings)" is not clearly definable and just as problematic: somebody will eventually wonder how TG/Aurcade's "Medium (3)" fits into the puzzle. To me that's NOT unambiguous and intuitive. By including TG, Aurcade, MARP, and RU you need to compare and explain the discrepancy between all those sources for every variation.

Ouch.   :o

Just kidding, I see what you mean.

TG and MAME interpret the same DIP switch settings differently:

Switch G

Switch H

Difficulty

TG

MAME
OFF

ON

Medium

Hard

Jeremy is correct.  Understanding the inherently confusing details requires more than a simple label.

Take a look at this topic for a more complete explanation:

https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=759.msg13511#msg13511

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:44:55 pm by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 06:46:51 pm »
In the alternate universe that I come from, MAME gives the difficutly levels as Easy, Not-So-Easy, Taxing, and Highly Vexing.

So you can imagine how traumatizing this process has been for me.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 06:06:55 am »
For the moment, I think having it as difficulty 1 (easy), difficulty 2 (medium)
is the way to go.  I say this because I'm including both front, and center. 

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 07:14:53 am »
 FailFish if mame and arcade aren't the same setting, you can't just use numbers, it doesn't matter how lazy or stubborn one is, it needs to be addressed adequately.   <YSG> It seems blatantly apparent what needs done.
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 07:25:07 am »
FailFish if mame and arcade aren't the same setting, you can't just use numbers, it doesn't matter how lazy or stubborn one is, it needs to be addressed adequately.   <YSG> It seems blatantly apparent what needs done.

Difficulty 1 Arcade= MAME Easy
Difficulty 2 Arcade= MAME Medium
Difficulty 3 Arcade= MAME Hard
Difficulty 4 Arcade= MAME Hardest

I don't understand your problem?

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 07:29:08 am »

Difficulty 1 Arcade= MAME Easy
Difficulty 2 Arcade= MAME Medium
Difficulty 3 Arcade= MAME Hard
Difficulty 4 Arcade= MAME Hardest

I don't understand your problem?

Well, where does it convey?  5 man vs. marathon settings? Or the issues of differential score boards using different settings? Aggregate lists would be a nightmare with the above nomenclature.

I hope that helps
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 07:31:32 am »
I would also like to submit this bota score. It was on arcade medium, 1 hour marathon setting , but you can check that with the bota website, or a real gamer  <Tim> like Steve Wagner, who would know the settings used! :-)

Seen on page 3 of the bota scores for dk3, thanks in advance

http://www.battleofthearcades.net/Game/3/20

People don't understand there are 2 different medium settings for arcade. Difficulty 2, and Difficulty 3.  Fortunately I know the "Medium" settings for BOTA are difficulty 3 i.e. MAME Hard.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 07:34:06 am »
I would also like to submit this bota score. It was on arcade medium, 1 hour marathon setting , but you can check that with the bota website, or a real gamer  <Tim> like Steve Wagner, who would know the settings used! :-)

Seen on page 3 of the bota scores for dk3, thanks in advance

http://www.battleofthearcades.net/Game/3/20

People don't understand there are 2 different medium settings for arcade. Difficulty 2, and Difficulty 3.  Fortunately I know the "Medium" settings for BOTA are difficulty 3 i.e. MAME Hard.

This is exactly what were talking about George and a prime example of why it needs to be thoroughly worded. Everyone needs to be able to get "it" not just you. That's why People are asking for depth in a definition
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:36:06 am by f_symbols »

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 07:39:23 am »
OK, I changed it.  (Arcade difficulty 1=MAME Easy), (Arcade difficulty 2=MAME Medium)

By the way, why isn't anyone complaining about the Mario Bros. scoreboard?  All it says is "The dip switch bank has to be on medium difficulty setting"
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:43:47 am by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard