Author Topic: Robbie and Wes: An Analysis  (Read 22979 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Re: Robbie and Wes: An Analysis
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 01:00:21 pm »
Since it's being discussed, I will throw it out there and say 1.2 will may never be broken on arcade.  Not because of skill as I feel there are many players that could do this, but rather motivation.  Unless you get a string of minimal/no screwing games, 1.2 requires a lot of time and grinding.  To make it worth it, I believe only a bounty put on a 1.2M arcade score will motivate anyone to attempt this.

I thought that motivation around this game would fade when Dean got 1.2 just before KO3. Then I thought so after KO3. Then I thought it after Robbie got the record. Then I thought it when DK seemed to have cooled off to new lows and everything was about IGBY.

Then KO4 happened. Fire thoroughly reignited (geez, it even got me). FailFish

It seems to be more "seasonal" nowadays, but never dies completely.

I think that Robbie, Wes, and Ethan have proven over the last few months that motivation is not a problem for at least a few people, money or not. :) Some just want/love/need the grind.

This will serve as a place holder, I'm gonna make a post with some additional comments and data regarding these games, the respective strategies employed, and the implications (or lack there of) of these games, with regards to Robbies and Wes' chances at 1.2 in general.

Yes, please. Make sure you post them soon, and that your thoughts and ideas are easy to copy/paste and slightly rewrite... Kappa
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 06:35:05 pm »
jry charts so amazing Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm

gl on 1.2m, gentlemen :)
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

WCopeland

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 08:16:57 pm »
That was a wonderful, well thought out, and informed post Ethan. Thank you Kreygasm

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 08:31:06 pm »
That was a wonderful, well thought out, and informed post Ethan. Thank you Kreygasm

I agree that is a factor that is different. Wes wasn't playing for World Record he was just playing for 1.1.  if your end result is just a good 1.1 game to get 1.170 is phenom. I also believe both Wes and Robbie have the capability to get 1.2 for sure given time to work out getting a game that doesn't ram it at you. Its possible to have 4 players with 1.2 scores soon and yet when Dean finally got his it was just unheard of to even think this could happen. BibleThump . I think its more the desire to get it vs the ability to get it. You have to just want it more than the frustration it pounds into you! :D Good luck sirs even if we know its all just juiced cabs and roms!  <Tim>
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 04:36:31 am »
Such analysis. Very depth. Wow.

Thank you for taking the time to do an in-depth explanation of the numbers, sir. <3
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 02:29:43 pm »
In light of some points made by Ethan and some data he shared that I was not previously aware of (e.g. that Wes has been to 800K on more than one occasion with a pace above 1.2m), I will have to retract my previous statement that Robbie seems to be the only player of the two primed to feasibly go for 1.2m+ in the near future. The point that Wes was simply going for 1.1m+ and ended up getting there on his first man (thereby allowing himself to change his plans and go for the record) is a valid point and provides a crucial explanation as to why his pace was as low as it was in this game. It also explains why his pace does not have the decay effect Robbie's and Dean's charts show. Furthermore, the steadiness of his pace alludes to the fact that Wes can actually play at a (probably significantly) higher pace than he was playing at in this game and, as Ethan stated, demonstrates his mastery of the mere 1.1m pace range.

Apologies to Wes for being uninformed in speaking about his DK ability. I wish both him and Robbie best of luck going for 1.2m, though I still stand by my main statement that I would be quite surprised if either of them got it in the next few months. Time to prove me wrong (and make me pleasantly surprised), gents! ;)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 05:36:27 pm »
Just a clarification, when I say by the end if next year, I mean by December 31st 2016.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 07:14:27 pm »
Just a clarification, when I say by the end if next year, I mean by December 31st 2016.

Ah, well, if that is what you meant it was not what I took you to mean. In *that* amount of time I think 1.2m just might happen.  <Walter> We'll just have to wait and see!  <popcorn>
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:54:54 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 12:29:40 am »
That last level. Almost 100k. I'm factoring the deaths in but that's insane. Never seen 100k level. I'm sure it's happened but wow.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer