Author Topic: Donkey Kong 3 million is not as easy as made out to be  (Read 16353 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Donkey Kong 3 million is not as easy as made out to be
« on: August 07, 2015, 04:22:15 pm »
I have come to the conclusion after DK3 was included in the tourney that even on easy settings this game is not as easy to get a million as I originally thought.
Yes there were 27 other games, and yes a month is not super long anyways, but some really, really good players were in this tourney.  Players who have wrecked havoc on many a game.
But despite this we only had five out of 75 get a million for scores submitted, and of those only one was a person who didn't have one million before. That being BBH, and he had over 700k on hard settings in a previous tournament, so he doesn't really count.
I really thought 13 people would have one million at the end. Wow, I was wrong.
I guess my thinking came from getting 1.45 million at age 11 with this game, and Steve Wagners claim of getting one million on his third attempt.
Now, I am not saying it's as hard as DK or DKJr to get that million on easy settings, but it's still harder than I thought.  I guess being the  <Billy> of this game made me ignorant on the difficulty level of this game.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:24:37 pm by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong 3 million is not as easy as made out to be
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 04:51:58 pm »
I guess being the  <Billy> of this game made me ignorant on the difficulty level of this game.

I'm not sure you want to use this comparison...unless you mean that you under-perform at live events, have shoddy evidence of your past records, and renege on gentlemen's agreements.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 04:53:56 pm »
I guess being the  <Billy> of this game made me ignorant on the difficulty level of this game.

I'm not sure you want to use this comparison...unless you mean that you under-perform at live events, have shoddy evidence of your past records, and renege on gentlemen's agreements.

rofllllllllllllllllllllllll
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

WCopeland

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 05:39:23 pm »
I wonder how deep the rabbit hole will go in this thread <stirpot>

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 05:46:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure you're the only two who think it is easy.
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Have a score on every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 06:07:35 pm »
fat bag of gotems @Xelnia  Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 08:39:14 pm »
I felt that my 1.7 would probably stay put in the standings (unless BBH played again or Ben showed up), but I also thought there would be more millions once all was said and done. I think this is one of those games that some people just click with, or don't click with, for some reason.

<3 DK3. I am thinking of getting a PCB.

I'm going to go for the RBS, most likely in the not-too-distant future. Maybe there can be another bounty! Like when Ben tried for it! Or anything! (j/k)

I will never, ever go for the WR.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:52:10 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 08:52:23 am »
I felt that my 1.7 would probably stay put in the standings (unless BBH played again or Ben showed up), but I also thought there would be more millions once all was said and done. I think this is one of those games that some people just click with, or don't click with, for some reason.

<3 DK3. I am thinking of getting a PCB.

I'm going to go for the RBS, most likely in the not-too-distant future. Maybe there can be another bounty! Like when Ben tried for it! Or anything! (j/k)

I will never, ever go for the WR.
Glad to hear you are going after the RBS.  DK3 maybe easier to get a million, but the RBS is closer in difficulty to a DK, or DKJr killscreen. In fact I would imagine it's actually harder for some players to get, and a strong argument could be made it's in general harder to get than a DKJr killscreen.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 09:22:36 am »
I got 400k on my second game I ever played on this game a few years ago. Game 1 was just to learn a little and get the feel for it. I've tried it about a dozen times since then ONLY cuz it's been in tournaments. I struggle to get 300k now cuz I really have no interest in the game.

I'm sure there are plenty of people capable of 1 mil that have no interest. 

Hec
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 07:51:38 pm »
I got 400k on my second game I ever played on this game a few years ago. Game 1 was just to learn a little and get the feel for it. I've tried it about a dozen times since then ONLY cuz it's been in tournaments. I struggle to get 300k now cuz I really have no interest in the game.

I'm sure there are plenty of people capable of 1 mil that have no interest. 

Hec

Really? Lack of interest?  There are a couple of major things wrong with this statement in my opinion, and I will address them.

First off there were 28 games in this tourney.  You know there is a good way to measure interest in any game.  That is seeing where a game ranked in submissions.  Well of the 28 games Donkey Kong 3 ranked third.  Only the iconic Ms. Pacman, and the super short game Strikers 1945 had more submissions.  79, and 78 respectively.
Next in response to the lack of interest is the fact that this is tourney.  It's not just about playing a game you really don't like it's about trying to get as many points as possible for your team.  Usually people have a certain competitive spirit that makes it so they won't phone in game play for even a game they think sucks.
Lastly I have noticed you have made the statement more than once about your lack of interest in playing this game.  Have you thought that maybe you are a tad bit biased?
What do I mean by that?  Well what was the most competed tourney in the 1980's for a video game?
As you know Hector it was Track & Field, which is what I consider your signiture game.
I bring this up because for whatever reason DK3 has gotten more love than TF in the recent tournaments.
So I know if I was in your shoes I would be a little perturbed that Track and Field was taking a back seat to a game that was an afterthought in the 80's.
I am not saying saying this is the reason for your vocal disdain, it's just something that I could see being a tad bit upset about if I was in your shoes, but I am not, so I readily admit I could be totally off base.
By the way I do think track & Field deserved a lot more attention the past few online tournaments.  It's a good game.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:54:12 pm by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 08:32:51 pm »
By the way I do think track & Field deserved a lot more attention the past few online tournaments.  It's a good game.

T&F definitely deserves more love but its a hard one to compete on fairly across the board. Having it in a MAME tourney that only requires a screenshot means any device under the sun can be used.
E.g. I'm decent at T&F using buttons but I can heavily outscore my PB using a mouse scroll wheel :)

Back on topic: As it has been said numerous times before, DK3 would have been more successful had it been its own game.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:38:10 pm by Barra »
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Have a score on every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 09:12:47 pm »

Back on topic: As it has been said numerous times before, DK3 would have been more successful had it been its own game.
You know there was a time I didn't like this way of thinking because I felt it meant it was outclassed by the other two games.
I have seen the positive though.  That statement is what is going to make this a cult game for years to come.  You know the same thing happens with movies and music.  The thought of if only this, and this happened it would have been much more popular.  Well that maybe true, but it may also have been ignored big time today.  Space Invaders is good example of this.
So think of a game like a candle.  In some ways it's better to have a slow burn than a quick burn since the candle lasts a lot longer.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:15:05 pm by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

BrianD

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 07:08:57 am »

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 06:37:45 pm »
Here's mine 1,139,500
And yours was done on Hard settings, which is even more impressive.  8)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

squidgy

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 02:12:45 am »
Just broke the 1million barrier a couple of days ago. 1,043,400, did the same as yours Brian showed 996,000 as the top and 43,400 as the 1up but didn't let me save my initials.