Author Topic: Is grabbing the top hammer safer?  (Read 10482 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Is grabbing the top hammer safer?
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:38:33 pm »
As I continue to play this game it seems that on a decent number of occasions I get hit with a barrel while trying to go for the hammer.   It seems I would actually be better off just forgetting about the top hammer, and just trying to get to the top.

Since people have played this game with no hammer, I was wondering on the barrel stages is it really safer to play with the top hammer?

This is an important question because if it is easier to play without the top hammer, than it would than likewise be easier to get to a killscreen without picking up the top hammer.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Is grabbing the top hammer safer?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 06:12:14 pm »

When you get hit by a barrel (I'm assuming it's a wild barrel?), how are you trying to grab the hammer?  Is it a standard vertical jump, or are you trying to execute a backjump/barrel smash combo?  I frequently die, particularly on Level 1-1, during the backjump scenario.  I find it leaves me vulnerable, especially if I'm parked for more than a split-second, waiting for the next barrel.  I'll have to rethink my approach, since the extra 100 points isn't really worth it (to me, at least).

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 06:55:23 pm »
personally id say it is easier to skip the top hammer. although if you climb the short ladder anyway its probably best to grab it ...its pretty marginal but youll want to incorporate the hammer sooner or later anyway...

i did play a couple of 'just go for the killscreen' runs for the first time in a year+ recently, which i played no hammer on the barrel screens...it was most fun id had playing dk in ages not caring about points and i love how the screens just fly by when you skip the hammers...

8)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:41:37 pm »
I did that too a couple weeks ago!

I made, I think, three "speed run" attempts skipping both hammers but got lazy/dumb in all three games and didn't go all the way.

I liked how fast the screens were going by, but on the flipside, going at a pace of like 38K/level makes it feel like your score isn't moving at all...

In any case, while I finished the screens faster, I didn't find skipping the hammer to be "easier" than getting it. It was (marginally) harder, and would probably be much harder for a player who isn't good at barrel-dancing. The upper hammer is definitely more "defense" than offense. It clears the way to that final ladder.

Are you getting 1/16thed? For me (though I didn't have a name for it at the time because I read very little in the way of strategy), that was one of the last major lessons that I had to get down before I "cleared the runway" for my first kill screen.

Another major issue was the situation where you get under the hammer and you have two spaced barrels coming at you, and the timing is such that you have to jump the first barrel, grabbing the hammer in the process, and then smash the second when you land. It's very easy to time that jump wrong, or to not realize until it's too late that the gap between the two barrels isn't big enough. (Actually, come to think of it, I still die that way on a not-so-rare basis...)

Finally, there is a particular left-tilting wild barrel that Kong throws when you're under the hammer. You can easily avoid that one every time, but you have to be standing near the edge, and it's very easy to die there until you figure out the range of that safe spot.

Those are the three big issues I can think of.

(BTW, on L1-L4 you will DEFINITELY get hit by assassination-barrels under the hammer. In fact, there is no spot in the game where you are more consistently vulnerable than exactly that one: under the top hammer on the first levels. Unlike the L5+ ones, the wild barrels he throws at you there can't be avoided.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:50:38 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:11:33 pm »
I, personally, find skipping the top hammer safer -though maybe not easier. Going from Kong's ladder to the top right ladder can be tough sometimes without using the top hammer and it often requires good barrel steering/avoidance/jumping skills, so this actually makes it harder a fraction of the time than getting the hammer would be. However, skipping the hammer (assuming you are finishing barrel stages consistently with 6200-6500 left on the timer, makes it seem like you are flying through the game. This helps at lot if your main problem is simply staying focused (like me  ;D )
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:31:32 am by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:04:04 am »
Great topic George!

In my opinion, skipping the top hammer is significantly easier than getting it.

In fact, for intermediate level players who have an outside shot at having a break out game and reaching a kill screen, skipping the top hammer throughout the game might save them a man on average.  That's because it's a very common mistake to climb up the short ladder without accounting for the fact that Kong could be throwing a wild barrel right onto your head while climbing the ladder (Level 5+), and with so many barrel screens to get through, this will often eventually happen to a player at some point during a long game.  Once you get even slightly deeper into the game most of the time so that the majority of your barrel screens are Level 5+ barrels, you will want to learn how to safely climb up the LONG ladder instead of the short ladder.  When done correctly, the wild barrel cannot hit you on this ladder and you do NOT have to cross through the kill zone at all where you could be hit by a bomb.  You just turn right (skipping the hammer) and finish the screen.

Finishing the screen from here without the hammer is only slightly trickier.  First, you need to get beyond Kong's ladder, which may involve waiting and potentially grouping a double jump, or vertical jumping between two barrels depending on when the barrel might decend Kong's ladder.  Then, when approaching the top-right section of the screen, it's almost always correct to stop and vertical jump the oncoming barrel because you could end up with short spacing if a barrel above comes down the top-right short ladder right behind the oncoming barrel (a very common occurance, and sort of a rookie mistake to broad jump into this dangerous situation).  Once you get that section of the screen down without using the hammer, it becomes safer and easier to skip the top hammer.

Now, Levels 1 - 4 are a slightly different story.  You should still be able to climb the Long ladder on Levels 1 and 2 without being hit by a wild barrel although those wild barrels are random and it may not be 100% safe.  My advice even to intermediate level players is to simply restart your game if you die on Level 1 or 2 barrel screens.  Now, for level 3 and 4 barrels (3 screens), if you are running boards you will have to deal with the nasty wild barrels in the top section of the screen.  On these screens, climbing the long ladder is NOT safe!  You'll need to climb the short ladder and go for the top hammer on these screens.

You CAN be assasinated while you are in the air trying to grab the hammer on these screens if you time your jump poorly.  (not watching Kong's animation closely enough)  You can also face strange wild barrel situations while climbing the short ladder -- in general, if it looks like the barrel will bounce on the upper girder to your left, you should quickly climb back DOWN the ladder (very counter-intuitive) and it will bounce severely sharply to the right and over your head.  If it looks like it will actually miss the upper girder and bounce onto the lower girder, then you need to quickly climb back UP, OR you'll need to quickly JUMP if you're already all the way back down because this one will bounce severely sharply to the right and hit you in the legs.  For intermediate level players, dealing with stuff in this paragraph will be a challenge -- I consider the knowledge and skills necessary to consistantly deal with these issues to be very advanced level play, so if you get whacked by Level 3 wild barrels here and there just don't sweat it too much, it happens to everyone.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder Former DK World Record Holder - MAME Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 12:40:19 pm »
One thing to add as I don't think anyone else mentioned it yet, are the 'foot burner' L3 wild barrels that try to get you as you are running to the right to make the final climb to the top girder. 

Kong will sometimes throw a sharp-angled wild barrel at you if you're around the center or slightly to the right of the center of the screen, on the 5th girder.  The angles at which Kong throws wild barrels are the sharpest they can be, when you're on the 5th girder...er...well...I guess they can be as sharp or sharper when you're on the 6'th girder...but since they can't hit you at that point its irrelevent.  It seems like he normally throws these when you're innocently running to the right...either with the hammer...or without.  When you HAVE the hammer...often you will naturally turn around and attempt to smash one of these sharp angled barrels...and sometimes it works.  Other times, it can skip under your hammer and hit you in the foot.

It's like 50/50.  If you can see it soon enough you can kinda increase your chances of successfully smashing it...but it's still a crap shoot.  It's difficult to judge...because sometimes you're in a position where the barrel is going to reach your feet no matter what, so you have to take the chance, turn around, and attempt to smash.  Other times you will be slightly further to the right...and able to simply run away from it and let it bounce just under your feet.

It goes without saying that not having the hammer in your hand during a sharp-angled wild barrel attack is ideal.  Jumping away is the best defense...one more reason not to grab the top hammer if you're going for a quick kill screen.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 12:48:20 pm »
One thing to add as I don't think anyone else mentioned it yet, are the 'foot burner' L3 wild barrels that try to get you as you are running to the right to make the final climb to the top girder.

Blargh! I called them ankle biters a few weeks ago. I hate, hate, hate those.

They're super-rare, given the combined probability of Kong throwing one coinciding with that tiny little interval of time where Jumpman is running for the last ladder, but I hold my breath every single time I'm on L3.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 02:02:44 pm »
Haha yea that's a good name for them.  I do the same thing...every time I am running away from Kong to that final ladder on Level 2/3 I am waiting to see if he throws one.  Agony...pure agony.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 02:10:24 pm »
Talking about the ankle-biters on the 5th girder, the last picture I took of the wild barrel hack barrel boards shows pretty much how far these barrels can reach: https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=76.0
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer