Author Topic: I am the classic gamer stereotype, and it sucks.  (Read 26934 times)

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
I am the classic gamer stereotype, and it sucks.
« on: September 20, 2014, 02:12:58 pm »
Thinking about it I really do personify all the negative stereotypes of the classic gamer.

Socially awkward.  Check
Nothing better to do with my life. Check
Never been in a serious relationship. Check

So yeah it's like being the clueless blonde.
Or the pink leopard print leather wearing homosexual.
Or the Asian guy who only cares about grades, and is truly a bad driver.

So yeah I do bring a bad name to the community because I am the stereotype despite the fact most of us are nothing like that.
So to everyone, sorry for this.  I really do wish I wasn't like this, but I love this hobby. I don't see that changing for a very long time.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
Re: I am the classic gamer stereotype, and it sucks.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 03:30:25 pm »
Sounds like you are depressed at the moment? Also sounds like you don't like being this stereotype?

Just want to say, you are what you want to be. If you like being stereotype, be that then for the rest of your life. If not, time to CHANGE. It's only up to YOU. It's never to late to change (light or heavy) whatever you want with your life.
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:27:59 pm »
Sounds like you are depressed at the moment? Also sounds like you don't like being this stereotype?

Just want to say, you are what you want to be. If you like being stereotype, be that then for the rest of your life. If not, time to CHANGE. It's only up to YOU. It's never to late to change (light or heavy) whatever you want with your life.
I'm just not wired the right way.  I think I am slightly autistic.  Last time I checked autism can't be cured.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

pacwhiz

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 11:46:47 am »
"Change that which you cannot accept, and accept that which you cannot change."

PS: Autism rules!  Without it, there would be no more videogaming community (just/kidding... or am i? lol).  But seriously, i'm convinced some of us HAVE to be somewhat autistic to play the type of games we play, for the length of time we play, and to achieve the insane scores that have been achieved.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:51:34 am by pacwhiz »

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 12:46:52 pm »
Yeah, I do think autism in some form is prevalent in this community.  In the public it's 1 in 88, but I think it's more like 1 in 10, and I think I might be conservative with that number.  Remember even Steve Wiebe's own mother thought he was slightly autistic.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:09:24 pm »
I remember when I was first watching KoK when they were talking about how Steve Wiebe would bump his head against the back of the seat in time with the music, and thinking to myself "holy crap, somebody else besides me did that!"

Anyway, make no mistake, "the spectrum" is strong in classic gamers.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline jwade614

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 05:00:33 pm »
Do you want to be less socially awkward, want something "better" to do, maybe meet a female and have a relationship?

Force yourself to get out of your comfort zone. Branch out and do something you normally wouldn't do. Broaden your horizons.

I'm also socially awkward, so I know just going out and meeting people is easier said than done. I starting taking dance lessons in June and so far it has been the best decision I've ever made, and I highly recommend it to anyone who has the money. (It can add up and get expensive.) The studio where I take lessons has group lessons and parties where the guy/girl ratio is usually very favorable. I can already sense my social confidence improving and I am having a blast.

If dance lessons aren't for you, look for something else you can join where you will meet people. Pottery lessons...anything. Even if you don't think you will like it, give it a try.

That's my advice...

Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 05:15:16 pm »
I am a long haul truck driver at the moment.  Probably one of the least social jobs ever created.  I'm away from home weeks at a time. I'm doing none of that.  Also driving around in an 80 foot vehicle makes it impossible to hangout anywhere besides gas stations, and some Wal-Marts.  Truck driving is a good job for the socially inept like myself. Ironically I'm actually pretty open.  Just happen to speak randomly, and awkwardly.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 06:29:36 pm »
I've personally also been "socially awkward" in the past. It's easy to lack in social skills when you have self confidence problems. I guess the most important thing in life is to have self confidence, and to learn to not bother too much about what people think of what you do, or say.

And also, woman-wise, for those that don't really go out, it might be a good idea to try online dating. Since I wasn't really the type of guy that went out a lot, I've tried online dating for like 2 years, and that's how I met my girlfriend, Alexandra. Some people still have "prejudices" against online dating, but in fact, it's a very nice way to learn a lot about someone before meeting her, and to actually be able to meet people that want a relationship. And for "socially awkward" people, it's often easier to break the ice when talking to a girl behind a keyboard, at first.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 05:25:14 am »
NERDS
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

hchien

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 11:25:01 am »
I've tried online dating for like 2 years

ChatRoulette doesn't count as online dating.

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 12:01:01 pm »
ChatRoulette doesn't count as online dating.

Yeah, you're right. I tried to date girls with Chatroulette, but it didn't work. Each time I was matched with a girl, she always left within the next 5 seconds... well, maybe because I was part of the 90% of the Chatroulette users that always show their c*ck, but still!  Kappa
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline D.B. Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 01:37:11 pm »
As the father of an 8 year old with severe autism, I can safely say that if you are playing video games at a high level, then even slight autism is very unlikely. One of the traits of autism is physical clumsiness. Being a nerd or socially awkward does not make you autistic.  One of the reasons for the increased number of people being diagnoses as autistic is because everyone who has a nerdy kid thinks they have autism.  They just keep expanding the spectrum and it feels like someday we'll all be diagnosed.  A bit frustrating for those of us with kids who obviously have issues.
Dick Moreland
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 03:05:27 pm »
First off, I am very sorry that you, and your son have to go through this.  I substitute taught a class that was for autistics.  My problems are nowhere near you, and your son's problems.
A better term for you might be aspergers.  Some very successful people have been thought to have that.  That's before the latest DSM eliminated the term, and decided to label it slight autism.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard